good cheap 12v van fridge ? | Squat the Planet

good cheap 12v van fridge ?

Wermi901

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I finally have my van in my driveway and am starting to buy amenities for it. Starting to get real expensive, so I'm wondering, does anyone know a big cheapish 12v chest fridge on the market?

pseudo

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't bother with the really cheap 12v absorption coolers, they suck.
Get one with a compressor. I'm happy with my Alpicool 30qt one. About $300, which is half the price of a comparable Dometic or a third of the price of an Engel which are the industry standards.
Probably not built to quite as high standard but they get good reviews, aren't too loud and efficient enough to run on solar.

Jerrell

Reaction score
I've been happy with my BougieRV one. I found a blog that gave a discount code and got mine for about $280 directly from BougieRV.

Jerrell

Reaction score
Reactions: Dmac

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
Kinda late to this, sorry. I have an Alpicool C40 that I grabbed for 280 on Amazon. A lot of them are essentially all the same, just rebranded. If you've looked at a few different brands you'll see it. I love mine. I've had it for close to a year running 24/7 since then. Only one zone, but you can set it as a fridge or a freezer, control it by bluetooth, has TONS of room, and barely draws any power.
Are you planning on running a fridge off of just the cigarette lighter, using the vans main battery, or do you plan/ have an auxiliary battery? I wouldn't recommend any compressor fridge if powered by the starter battery. It only draws like 45 watts from what I remember, but a regular SLA starter battery isn't going to power it for very long before killing it.

Just came back to the forums. Half assed built my van out, mostly focusing on electronics and solar. My system might not be perfect, but I can help walk you through different setups and what they can handle if you're still looking.

Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads