Going down south

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
My names chris. I had an account here awhile ago and forgot the password..

Currently trying to get from lancaster, pa to Florida.

I play guitar so that's going to be my main source of income through this. Not sure how busking works outside of where im at, but people here are friendly and can easily make a decent amount of cash by standing on the side of a busy road in the city for a couple hours.

Currently only have a guitar and some clothes and other essentials (toothpaste,brush, contact lense case, etc.) Thinking about getting a tent and gradually taking busses down the east coast until I reach Florida. Hopefully getting foodstamps asap. Got a phone interview with the welfare office tomorrow..

Anyway, glad to be part of this site. Alot of good material can be found here.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
welcome back. any particular reason for florida? I hear nothing good about that state but haven't been myself so I try not be preemptive with my judgments.

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
Hmm not really any reason in particular. I've lived in PA pretty much all my life. Been to Texas when I was a little kid.. Was in Delaware awhile ago. Haven't really traveled and just want to see what the southern end of the country is like.

Got a friend that live down there. So do my grandparents lol. Looking forward to warmer weather. Just waiting on Food Stamps like I said above, and I need new contact lenses, as well as an anticipated W-2 refund.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
florida = yucky.......

EphemeralStick

Reaction score
i suggest switching to glasses. you lose a contact lens and you're fucked. Same goes with glasses i guess but they're much easier to keep track of.

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
I have had a lot of luck with contact lenses in the past. At occupy I wore the same pair for maybe a month straight. used some rewetting drops once in a while. On occasion would loose a contact . I'm planning on getting at least 6 of each eye though, and would probably be able to somewhat easily get more since I have a prescription and will be making dough busking.

Still thinking about what else to bring besides what was mentioned.. Kind of split on the decision whether or not to get a small tent or not. It IS getting nicer out and I'm going to be going south. Thinking about just squatting, sleeping outside, and beach bumming it.

EphemeralStick

Reaction score
sleeping on a beach is eh... sand gets everywhere. heaven forbid you open your pack on the beach too then everything gets sandy. but yeah sleeping outside is delightful! Id say forget the tent and get yourself a tarp. lighter than a tent but just as useful (if not more).

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
Although I will need to prepare for rain and other bad weather. If theres one thing I learned about living in tents at occupy is that the rain sucks. I'd like to get more equipment but my guitar case is a backpack, and I really dont care like having to carry it by the handles all the time so i can carry another pack. Maybe I could strap a sleeping bag or tarp onto the guitar case..

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Why does everyone hate on Florida? Its got its ups an downs. But theres some sweet spots in that giant peninsula. I would suggest preparing for the no-see-ums and mosquitos. They will drive you INSANE!!! while sleeping outside. Also remember hurricane season starts in June!

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely going to be a climate shock. Used to humid murky PA winters and sweat your balls off summers.

I guess ill have to invest in some anti mosquito equipment. Hopefully I wont be in Florida too long. eyes set on west coast after going south

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
100% DEET!!! and a tarp. One of coolest things about Florida is the abundance of awesome camp spots. The Palmettos down there give so much cover. You can set up a bright blue tarp shelter 3 feet into the woods from a major road and no one would be the wiser.

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like a plan. Anything else I should worry about when im traveling? I have a prepaid phone... Anything simple and usefull?

I saw an episode of mythbusters where the guys were trapped on an island with nothing but duct tape. It was pretty cool. Probably going to be bringing some of that.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
If you need anyone to go with ya.I'd be down.I am born and raised in this damn state and have been everywhere around it for the most part lol.If you are in Tallahassee or any of the major area's let me know.I have my bag ready to go as well and plenty of gear.I get my ebt renewal on the 14th so id be down about then.

Hit me up.

Name is Chris btw too lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing parts of FL i haven't seen in ages again.Then head up north and see mountains plus snow which at the age of 25 i haven't seen mountains or snow for that matter lol.

I'll tell ya what there are alot of nice islands around the area i am at.I just got back from a week trip out at a random location and loved every minute of it.Not many people mess with ya around here and cops just are curious as to what you are doing.I haven't had any big run ins with the cops.

But im in the Northern area which is Perry so its pretty lax here.But you can get all the tastes of FL just here alone lol.

Have fun out there!

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
Okay.. So tomorrow i'm going to be meeting with my dad to get some things for the road. By tomorrow night i'll have everything I *need* to leave.

Still would like to have a sleeping bag or small tent, so i'll grab that before I get out of PA.

I hate putting things off for so long. I'm excited and nervous. I think i'll be fine though.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
kick the tent and get yerself a tarp. if you're going to a nice outfitter, try and get your dad to get you a good tarp-tent thing. it's basically a tarp with a pole or two. i just stuck with the tarp/bivy sack combo. tents are too heavy and take up too much space (don't get a huge expedition pack), plus they're a pain to take down every morninng. you can hide more with just a tarp or bivy too

skitter

Reaction score
travelled with a tent for a short period of time and then ditched that thing like a bad habit. you are better off getting tarp/s and rope. the fiberglass rods and extra material from a tent seemed pointlessly heavy to lug around, and the zipper was shot less than a month in from erecting and dismantling it day after day- not worth it in my opinion. some guy pitied me on a rainy day and gave me a bright fema sort of poncho, i usually just try to stay on top of the weather forecast and find dry places to sleep when i know it is going to be bad.
still amazed at seeing people carrying tents as well as everythingbutthekitchensinkholyfuckingshit, etc.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads