News & Blogs - Los angeles seeking to ban homeless people from sleeping in their vehicles | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Los angeles seeking to ban homeless people from sleeping in their vehicles

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
Los Angeles Seeking To Ban Homeless People From Sleeping In Their Vehicles

The homeless people of Los Angeles could possibly face a more grievous future, with politicians currently seeking to ban them from sleeping within their own cars and RV’s. A similar ban, dating back to 1983, was rescinded in a federal appeals court in June last year, due to the laws vagueness in wording.

However, in an effort to permanently prohibit the homeless from sleeping in their vehicles, the city council has returned with a new and more specifically written law. What is more shocking is the city’s intentions to use the new law to financially exploit those living within their vehicles, with the city suggesting the sale of permits to grant people the “privilege” of camping in their cars for a limited time on non-residential streets.

Los Angeles City Attorney, Mike Feuer says that the new measure will “strive to meet the City Council’s goal to protect neighborhoods in a manner that is sensitive to the needs of the homeless.”
The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority have estimated that about 5,000 people are currently living in around 3,000 vehicles parked across the city.

Carol Sobel, a civil rights attorney who had previously challenged the past ban told the LA Times “There is a problem with putting people in jail for performing life-sustaining functions when there is no other place to do.”

Unfortunately, the criminalization of homelessness continues to be being enacted across America, with laws prohibiting individuals from begging, sleeping, lying down, loitering or even sitting in public areas. Astonishingly, it is even illegal in some places within the U.S to feed a homeless person. With these laws in place, and slowly growing in numbers across the country, the future for homeless people looks grim and uncertain.

Reactions: thegrapsman
K

Kim Chee

One of the things I hated the most when on the street was the thought that I was almost continually breaking the law by my mere existence. I learned to have very little regard for trespassing, obstruction of justice laws and a few other similarly minor offenses.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Wow, when does this become apparent to people that this is just a violation of our freedom to live how we want to? Living in your vehicle doesn't hurt anybody -___- A lot of these people probably aren't willfully placed into their situation either and they make it fucking illegal. It's such a ludicrous attitude that society has-- to constantly try to eliminate any deviations from the norm, all the while calculating a way to make a profit at the same time.

K

Kim Chee

[QUOTE="kaichulita, post: 169287, member: 9807"...all the while calculating a way to make a profit at the same time.[/QUOTE]

You must be admiring the American spirit?

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
[QUOTE="kaichulita, post: 169287, member: 9807"...all the while calculating a way to make a profit at the same time.

You must be admiring the American spirit?[/QUOTE]

Very much so.

K

Kim Chee

Poor frickin' homeless people, you can't lay on cardboard and use your jacket for a pillow.
Poor frickin' homeless people, you're car isn't a house, you can't stay in it.
Poor frickin' homeless people, we're gonna put you in jail.
Poor frickin' homeless people, when we let you out of jail.

You're still homeless...we fail.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
They f--k with people because they know that population is helpless. Heaven forbid they find me crashed out some night; I've been corresponding with the Southern Poverty Law Center for years AND have their logo coffee mug....Heh heh Lets play Hide and Seek, coppers. ::smug::

Seriously, if every person told to ''move along'' or ticketed for sleeping in a car took their case to trial, and if somehow people could get the ACLU, SPLC, Amnesty Intl. involved, perhaps things could work out a little better.

Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
the sale of permits to grant people the “privilege” of camping in their cars for a limited time on non-residential streets.

Here is a thought... sounds like they need another revenue stream right?
After all they can't raise property taxes any higher to pay the bloated double dipping pensions of government officials... home owners are just to great a number and can fight back. *not that they don't or don't continue to lie and spin opinion in media to do so... anyway...

Ahh... so criminalize... prohibit and require them to buy permits.... the homeless. yea... 5000? of them is another small minority we can squeeze like trying to get blood from a stone. That 5000 sounds like a bullshit number too... BTW...

"I take a deeeeep breath... "

Okay ... just gotta keep on honing my skillz. I am gonna have to be exceedingly clever when traveling and houseless. ::cigar::

Reactions: Durp and Jaguwar
K

Kim Chee

I actually think it would be pretty sweet to be able to purchase a permit for a nominal fee (under $20/year) if it meant law enforcement couldn't fuck with me for parking in the street.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I actually think it would be pretty sweet to be able to purchase a permit

if it meant law enforcement couldn't fuck with me for parking in the street.

for a nominal fee

Okay... I can see how avoiding the hassle might be attractive ... but even if it is a nominal fee?

How long will it remain nominal? Once you tax something... the foot is in the door to keep raising the cost.

Also people already pay for registration and city stickers on they're vehicles. That should be enough for the privilege to simply park and sleep.

MY VEHICLE>>>MY PROPERTY>>>

You want to tell me if I can or cannot sleep in it?

Sorry Michael but if you don't draw a line to push back at... that boot heel will be at your throat before you know it.

K

Kim Chee

Okay... I can see how avoiding the hassle might be attractive ... but even if it is a nominal fee?

I see what you're saying. A person could opt out at any time (or just never "opt in").

Freedom of choice, brother!

I like the thought that if badge wearing thugs approach my vehicle that they aren't there just because I don't have my permit.

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
You shouldn't need a permit. That's asking permission to do something that neither harms nor endangers anyone, which makes it by definition stupid. Countless bits of case law already declare your vehicle private property. You can ask me to move said property off YOUR property (off a particular piece of roadway, for instance) but my car is essentially sovereign territory, for the purposes of this discussion. That's why they're supposed to have "probable cause", In the absence of a warrant, to even search my car.

Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Raven1998

Reaction score
Santa Cruz already got laws like dis. You can get ticketed for just being in your vehicle after 11 if it seems like you "live" in it. I.e.,food, bedding whatever they want. Sleeping in your vehicle is a crime there as well and they even have cops who patrol just to bust for it. As if there is some other way to be in a vehicle besides living. Don't they realize they also LIVE in there vehicle. O wait they're soulless zombies nvm.

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini and Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads