Getting the lay of the land... | Squat the Planet

Getting the lay of the land...

DesertRat

Reaction score
Hey all. Stumbled across this site while surfing Tapatalk, and, I must say, it's awesome that a site like this exists.

Traveled extensively starting in the SF Bay Area after High School (1988) throughout the country while friends decided to go overseas before college started.

Oddly enough, these people were talking about about how great Europe would be, but had never been to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe.

I chose to drive random places for a few years, just to learn what the "Real America" was like, rather than just hit the tourist traps. That is a decision I will never regret.

Lived out of my van (1978 Dodge StreetVan) from 1992-1994 in Carson City. Stayed in a campground in town, had a great time.

Looking to get back on the road, debating with myself the mode of travel, start date, and destination (if any).

Not sure I'll post much, but look forward to to my re-education of a life of freedom.

Good to be among the community.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Hey there Charlie, and thanks for the welcome.

What am I looking for? Not sure, really.

Imagine yourself finding a large, dust covered chest in the attic of an old mansion that has yet to be found and trashed by others. It's quite obvious that this article has been untouched for generations.

What's in the chest? Only way to find out is to open it and have a look.

I've been housed since 1994, so America is, to me, that dusty chest, just waiting to be explored.

Reactions: iHaveRabiez

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads