Getting money on the road, do ethics matter?

K

Kim Chee

After awhile on the road, you're sure to notice people who don't get their money, food, gas, drugs or clothes like you do. Some of these ways may go against what you know to be right as you see it.

I was wondering:
What do you do/others do that is unethical?
Do you feel guilty about how you get what you need/want?
Have your methods ever caused problems to yourself or others?
Do you justify your methods with the excuse that you are poor?

K

Kim Chee

I have been in a variety of different situations on the road which required me to do things I would otherwise consider unethical. I don't have any vices and am fairly tough, so I normally don't give in to simple wants. Needs are a different matter and I do know the difference between wants and needs.

I'll add more if this thread goes anywhere.

urchin

Reaction score
I will steal from a big box store but never from a small or regional chain. I don't deal drugs nor do I just take what someone gives me if I don't need it or won't use it (I'm a vegan so food is one area). I definitely refuse sex offers of any kind. Beyond that I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Reactions: hitchingpdx

Dameon

Reaction score
I've never really made money while traveling in any way that violates my ethics. My signs are honest when I fly ("Travelin' broke and hungry", at least one of those is true, and the others will be true in the near future), and if somebody tries to give me money while I'm on my way to get beer, or have just gotten beer, I've always told them. Strangely, that's never stopped them from giving me money.

I've shoplifted, and I have no problem stealing from the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world. They've stolen plenty from me, in their own way, and are soulless, heartless entities. That are now apparently as valid a person as me. Never stolen from anywhere for profit, though, so that doesn't even really fall under the thread's subject.

Never stolen from an individual, or a small store. Never had to hurt anybody else to get mine.

Ethics definitely matter; I don't trust people I see scamming others or stealing for money. What they're willing to do to somebody else, they're willing to do to me, within limits. Of course, ethics cost, too...lord knows I've seen enough good, simple scams now that I could use to make a lot more money than I do busking. But I've never needed money enough to have to do more than ask for it.

buffalobill

Reaction score
I'm now a hobo yet or doing much traveling besides were I can get I'm my neighbor hood but I've done my share of reasonable unethical crimes and it is common for me to only feel bad more blundered after I was caught but I'm reasonable and I hardly take anything I can't use and I see my self as a fairly simple person so I don't use much but it is easy to get greedy and sometimes you take wayyyy to much candy haha and none of my crimes really turn a profit I've found those ones are much riskier.

K

Kim Chee

I don't deal drugs nor do I just take what someone gives me if I don't need it or won't use it (I'm a vegan so food is one area).

So you don't follow the unwritten street rule that you always accept anything offered?
Neither do I.

My ethics... Stealing from corporations is fine. Stealing from individuals is not. Though I always try to find ways to not steal at all as it puts me at risk of becoming govt property.

I don't typically resort to stealing. I'd like to think that if I needed something that I'd steal from whomever...large corporations being high on the list with little old ladies being last with preference given in that order. In all honesty, I think stealing is a bad idea anyway. If the corporation is not available, but an individual has an item you need, would you then steal from an individual or decide that you don't need something so bad?

?..and if somebody tries to give me money while I'm on my way to get beer, or have just gotten beer, I've always told them. Strangely, that's never stopped them from giving me money.

Sounds like people are rewarding your honesty...awesome.

...I don't use much but it is easy to get greedy and sometimes you take wayyyy to much candy haha and none of my crimes really turn a profit I've found those ones are much riskier.

@Dameon mentioned stealing for profit as well. I'll agree that it is greed, which in my book is continually wanting more than you need or have.

Traveler

Reaction score
I don't typically resort to stealing. I'd like to think that if I needed something that I'd steal from whomever...large corporations being high on the list with little old ladies being last with preference given in that order. In all honesty, I think stealing is a bad idea anyway. If the corporation is not available, but an individual has an item you need, would you then steal from an individual or decide that you don't need something so bad?

Stealing is never for wants. If it's something I need and stores don't have it but an individual does, I ask. If they say no then I'm willing to suffer for morals. I find an honest tact will usually work though.

Reactions: Anagor

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Cool and interesting topic thar mmmmmmmmmmmichael!

Reactions: Anagor

crow

Reaction score
The way i see it, major corporations can handle a nibble. Stealing from an individual is absolutely wrong. But either way, my conscience wont let me do it. Id rather ask for what i need. Its humialating (sp?) But a beggars pride is in knowing they are not a theif. Granted, i wont judge friends for ripping off major chains, may even take joy in the spoils. But i will not tolerate "purse snatchers". Eh, ethics are tricky. If im flying, or spanging, i will be honest. But many ppl have screwed it up (3 kids n hungry) and noone rly believes what youre saying

K

Kim Chee

Cool and interesting topic thar mmmmmmmmmmmichael!
I was amazingly inspired by some discussion earlier, thanks:)

But a beggars pride is in knowing they are not a theif.

The lesser of two evils, I suppose. I'm not sure if it is pride, but I actually feel better when I work for what I get.
Too bad itinerant work is getting more and more difficult to come by, just like decent paying jobs are for the mainstream.

urchin

Reaction score
Michael: Nope. If someone wants to help they can ask if I need it and if so, they should ask how. Otherwise they are making it about them. For all they know I can have a life-threatening allergy. Just because I am poor doesn't mean I have to take someone's scraps, especially if don't need them.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I find my ethics can be a bit self serving. At least they were while traveling. While on the road I would sometimes fall back on turning a trick when I'm in need. Depending on the type of person I was dealing with I would either be grateful or a total ass. I'd steal from the rotten guys who would pick me up but if they were genuinely nice folk I'd do my best to resist being a thief. I'll admit sometimes I'd slip up and steal from those who didn't deserve it but I would always justify it with the logic of "well they paid me for sex so they must suck at life".

K

Kim Chee

@EphemeralStick: while stationed in Germany, a friend of mine went to the brothel indicating he'd like two women. When they settled into a room, he had one of them riding cowgirl (yehaaa) and the other was squishing sloppy ninths in his face. While they had him pretty well distracted, his wallet was gone through and they got what they wanted. I think stealing from clients might not be an uncommon practice amongst sex workers.

MEOW

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about pickpocketing yuppies?

I've dabbled in pickpocketing several years ago when I was really into magic for some reason (lol)

I've been unsure on practicing this again and taking it to the streets for ethical reasons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2626

Walk around neighborhoods and ask if any cheap.help is needed. Drive thru for laying change. Dropped money at fairs - learned that from a young kid and his cane walking grandma while hitch hiking a couple of weeks ago

K

Kim Chee

I've been unsure on practicing this again and taking it to the streets for ethical reasons.

Haha. You mean jail time or getting your ass kicked isn't good enough reason?:D

Walk around neighborhoods and ask if any cheap.help is needed. Drive thru for laying change. Dropped money at fairs - learned that from a young kid and his cane walking grandma while hitch hiking a couple of weeks ago
The good old-fashioned groundscore. Yes!
I've found change in drive throughs...be aware that your image will likely be recorded (not that they'll hand it to the police, but you never know).

...I also like the idea of drumming up work. I bet you have a ton of stories where it worked out better than you expected.

D

Deleted member 2626

Down for pick pocketing. Heard NYC was bad for that never had it happen but I also am no yuppie and probably never sufficed for target

Dameon

Reaction score
I don't think pick pocketing is generally cool...you don't know what you might be taking from the person you're stealing from. Even if they look classy, I've managed to look yuppie-ish many a time while traveling just by groundscoring nice clothes in nice neighborhoods. You might be taking their last bit of cash, and what about the pain of losing the stuff in your wallet?

If you're going to steal from other people, and use sleight of hand, just get a partner to be your shill, and do the shell game. At least then the marks are volunteering. I've watched people literally rack up hundreds of dollars in under an hour doing it. I wouldn't do it myself, because it's a con and I hate cons, but at least it's slightly more honest than straight up theft.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads