Gear list advice | Squat the Planet

Gear list advice

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I Know I haven't got everything I need yet but I just want someone to judge what I have now, what you think I won't need, and what you think I should get.

My Pack: Osprey Porter 65

Cooking:
Snow Peak GigaPower Stove
8 oz MSR ISOPRO
MSR Seagull Stowaway Cooking Pot
3 Backpacker meals for emergencies

Survival:
MSR HUBBA NX 1 Person Tent
Rain Poncho
Compass
Map Compass
Sawyer Water Filter
Sawyer Pint-Sized Water Pouch
Swiss Army Knife

Hygiene:
3 Bamboo Toothbrushes
Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Soap

I plan on getting boots, and a collapsible fishing rod next time I got to the store. I had a sleeping back in my pack but I went on a backpacking trip last year and it really weighed out my pack and I wanted to know what people thought of Bivy Sacks. Should I get one?

Also what should I do for carrying water. I plant on carrying a gallon with me. I wanted to get one of those hydration packs but I remembered hearing someone say they're not that good. I just don't want to have to dig through my whole pack to get to my water.

I also wanted to buy some durable shoes or boots for walking long distances. What do you recommend?

Tell me what other kinds of gear you think I would need. Thank you!

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Man you actually need very little to survive, so don't get too worked up on packing a million things. However that being said, what you need to pack really comes down to what your planning on doing exactly. Maybe give us a bit of an idea what your game plan is, and we can go from there

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
Man you actually need very little to survive, so don't get too worked up on packing a million things. However that being said, what you need to pack really comes down to what your planning on doing exactly. Maybe give us a bit of an idea what your game plan is, and we can go from there
Since it's my first time travelling, I was just thinking about going across the country by thumb, possibly with somebody, flying a sign for food or fishing, and I haven't found exactly where I wanted to go as my first destination but I was thinking around New England, and then going from there.

I do agree though, I know I don't need to much, I just want to know some basic essentials that help a bit.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Baby Buttwipez. Cant go anywhere w/out BABY BUTTWIPEZ!!!! :)
Get rid of that propane stove unless you plan on having capital and proximity to outdoor stores which stock that kind of canister. I like Esbit fuel. You can start a fire with em and 30 tabs weigh as much as a can of propane and a stove.

Reactions: Tude

kecleon

Reaction score
You need a sleeping bag man. The temperature drops at night so the extra insulation keeps you warm and alive if you're outside and it gets cold.

A bivi is more a substitute for a tent, you still want a bag inside.

If you're in a warm climate you can do without one for summer months but you'll still need one now.

The rest of it is fine. Hydration packs leak notoriously and they're weak. I rather just carry run of the mill plastic bottles in those side pockets of your pack. Often I'm just carrying water in plastic jugs by hand because I like a light pack.

Army surplus boots or whatever is available at second hand stores, you're gonna go through boots it's no use buying specific ones just see what's available make sure they look well made but most important fit good and are comfy

But youve got it covered you don't need more then that don't buy shit you don't need that'll weigh you down.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Bivy sacks are awesome as long as they actually shed water!!! I have a GI goretex one and it leaks like a sieve. REI has some that may or may not be preferable. On the plus side, the GI bivy is camo, for instances in which you want to sleep in an environment where passersby would notice a tent and then possibly harass you.

D

Deleted member 20

I have a GI goretex one and it leaks like a sieve

Is it clean??? I have been using the USGI goretex Bivy sacks for the last 20 years & I know that if the fibers get dirty the technology doesnt work as well. Try laundering in hot water & drying regular heat as the heat somehow returns some of the waterproofing. I have 2 & they both have a few holes from campfires & holes at the bottom from wearing my boots on he inside & standing up etc but overall not bad. I would look for a newer digital patterm camo when anyone searches the craigslist or Army/Navy Stores. I dont ever advocate that anyone buys any military surplus gear new as it is insanely overpriced.

D

Deleted member 20

I Know I haven't got everything I need yet but I just want someone to judge what I have now, what you think I won't need, and what you think I should get.

My Pack: Osprey Porter 65

Cooking:
Snow Peak GigaPower Stove
8 oz MSR ISOPRO
MSR Seagull Stowaway Cooking Pot
3 Backpacker meals for emergencies ??????? Are you going on some sort of weekend expedition up a mountain. I dont think you need a stove, a pot, fuel or Backpacker meals or MREs or whatever this shit is.

Survival:
MSR HUBBA NX 1 Person Tent (no)
Rain Poncho
Compass (Yes, see below)
Map Compass (why have a redundant compass? you only need 1 & it can be as cheap ass possible say around $5)
Sawyer Water Filter (no)
Sawyer Pint-Sized Water Pouch (no)
Swiss Army Knife (no unles your deceased grandpa gave it to you when you were 7 & it means a lot to you)

Hygiene:
3 Bamboo Toothbrushes (WTF are these, I assume this is some sort of hippie toothbrush, mine is green & plastic)
Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Soap (again wtf is this? My sopa is also Green & says Irish Spring)
Perhaps this is just fancy hippie toiletries that I have never heard of. I do recomend that you carry soap, shampoo, deoderant, toothbrush & paste etc)

I plan on getting boots, and a collapsible fishing rod next time I got to the store. (Buy the highest quality American made real leather work boots that you can afford & skip the collapsible fihing pole, Why,why,why???

I had a sleeping back in my pack but I went on a backpacking trip last year and it really weighed out my pack and I wanted to know what people thought of Bivy Sacks. Should I get one? (Bivy Sacks are very recommended over tents & Sleeping bags are heavy but so is all that useless shit like fuel,cookstove, pot, fishing rod, tent,water filter, emergency food etc. You need an appropriate weight sleeping bag for whatever region & season that you will be in. I always carry what I need to survive & swap out 3 different bags based on season & region).

Also what should I do for carrying water. I plant on carrying a gallon with me. I wanted to get one of those hydration packs but I remembered hearing someone say they're not that good. I just don't want to have to dig through my whole pack to get to my water. (Carry your water in the cheap plastic water gallon that it comes in or really rinse out a 1 gallon bleach jug that you find out of the trash (anyones trash it will still be clean & safe)

I also wanted to buy some durable shoes or boots for walking long distances. What do you recommend? (Again buy some durable & heavy duty all leather work boots that will be good for atleast a decade & can be resoled, think loggers like Chipewa or Redwings, If you are going camping go buy some goretex hiking boots or militarty surplus (current issue combat boots not what your dad wore in Vietnam)

Tell me what other kinds of gear you think I would need. Thank you!
Less is more!!!!! Please spend a whole day just researching your gear choices because you are about completely wrong as they come; unless you are going camping for a weekend at a national park with campsites.

Last edited:

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
Les is more!!!!! Please spend a whole day just researching your gear choices because you are about completely wrong as they come; unless you are going camping for a weekend at a national park with campsites.
so going with the basics, food, water and shelter. Say I bring a bivy, some canned food, and water, I'd realise I don't really need anything else but those things, that would a good thing to do at first?

• Useful
Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Is it clean??? I have been using the USGI goretex Bivy sacks for the last 20 years & I know that if the fibers get dirty the technology doesnt work as well. Try laundering in hot water & drying regular heat as the heat somehow returns some of the waterproofing. I have 2 & they both have a few holes from campfires & holes at the bottom from wearing my boots on he inside & standing up etc but overall not bad. I would look for a newer digital patterm camo when anyone searches the craigslist or Army/Navy Stores. I dont ever advocate that anyone buys any military surplus gear new as it is insanely overpriced.

I wash that sucka; dry it, etc. It doesn't leak, per se...rather rain permeates through the fabric. I like it because it's camo which means I can use it in ''close-to-urban'' environments where I don't want hikers/joggers/dog-walkers/random passers-by to see me or mess with me; and a tent would be noticeable. ...Yeah! The new digital camo/ACU.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
so going with the basics, food, water and shelter. Say I bring a bivy, some canned food, and water, I'd realise I don't really need anything else but those things, that would a good thing to do at first?
No canned food. It's heavy. You can dump the contents of cans or jars into Ziploc bags! (The kind with the little blue sliding lock.)

D

Deleted member 20

I think it all depends on how & where you plan on traveling like @wizehop asks earlier. If you are gonna hitchhike, hop trains, do rideshares then most of what you suggest isnt needed; not even food. I often get flack from many in & around the subject of carrying Food in the US. I only carry 1 emergency can of meat chili, tuna, beefaroni/ravioli or some other high calorie canned food that you can eat cold out of a can to sustain your hunger pangs until the next day. I routinely gorge on food when it is available & attempt to carry the leftovers in a plastic grocery bag in the hand that carries my water. When I am running around or trying to hop on a train this extra food bag usually gets left somewhere or rips & all the contents fall away (anything that is packaged & will last the heat/cold etc I will put in my pack). But since there are C-stores & soup kitchens & fast food places everywhere in this country with little true wilderness areas left I am always surrounded by food. Obviously I wont always have the cash to freely buy whatever I want but "The Road always provides what I need". If you are some dreamer who thinks you are gonna live off of skinning squirrels & eating wild berries then they will surely find your dead corpse in an old school bus some day. If you plan to be a beginner vagabond as your username implies than trust me & dont get overly anxious about the details.

If you are gonna start hitchhiking, taking cheap megabus trips & using rideshares & eventually go hop trains some day; my advice is & will be practical guidance for the rest of your life. Cash is a great commodity & I would rather see some hidden somewhere in your boot than devalued in some fancy yuppie cookstove, folding fishing pole & or other useless junk that you will toss by the weigh side because its so fucking heavy. A good pair of Boots goes a long way to keep you safe & help your feet not get all messed up (keep in mind that all good boots need a breaking in period). A sleep system that is appropriate for the season & region with a waterproof bivy sack will be your most versatile & best, lightest & fastest setup/stow away shelter. A compass is basic low tech gear that everyone should carry but not some $50-$100 fancy lensatic military/expedition style compas unles you get it really cheap. Usually a compass that fits in a pocket & can be used quickly to determine direction is great. A water vessel for drinking ( I have had the same military canteen since 1993 with insulated pouch & canteen cup that fits in the pouch. If you hop trains then pick up some leather work gloves, maybe some carhart/dickies or other brand dark heavy duck material coverall or overalls. Maybe a set of goretex rain gear & an assortment of as many clean clothing & socks to make you happy. I dont carry a towel and usually use a clean tshirt in an emergency or acquire a small towel from a motel/hotel maids cart or hospital linen cart. Truck stops have showers that can be gotten for free by asking truckers for a shower credit (most local drivers shower at home yet still earn free showers). Again clean & free towels can be found this way (if you dont mind orange, lol). I like being clean on the road so I carry mostly clothing & stop at laundromats after I take a shower & put on my last clean oufit (say every 4-5 days)

I would rather have durable breathable rain gear (top & bottom) instead of a poncho but a poncho is cheap & you can use them for lots of uses so have at it.

Last edited:

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet GI Goretex!

Attachments

• gortex7.jpg
    gortex7.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 346
Reactions: beginnavagabond

ottawafm

Banned
Reaction score
I totally agree w/highwayman! Get rid of the stove and fishing poles. Make a small fishing kit consisting of a handline and hooks. Make a fire kit consisting of a magnifying glass and flint stiker or a empty zippo.
Why zippo? You can find old non-working plastic bics all over the place! You tear em' apart for the flints. Then put together a sewing kit, cause your stuff always rips when you least expect it. Practice your survival skills! If you don't have any skills then hang out with enough people and you'll learn.
You'll need a good strong pack. I prefer canvas, because you can patch it with denim jeans, which you can find everywhere.
You'll need a sleeping bag. Try to find a light one for summer, and a heavier one for winter. I prefer warmer climates because I like to trap squirrels and rabbits, but I also dumpster dive. I also like to carry a small cooking pot, but sometimes I'll ditch it for a quart size paint can if I can get the funds to buy a new one because their lighter than a cook pot.
Never reuse an old paint can! For obvious reasons.
You'll need a stuff sack. It makes a good pillow and to store dirty clothes and also as emergency repair material for your clothes. You'll need a couple bars of soap, deodorant, and a roll of toilet paper.
I on the other hand, learned to get by without soap and shampoo by reusing old plastic bottles. Just go into restaurants and fill your bottle with hand soap. To take a bath, just bathe in the local water hole. You also could bathe out of the sink, but that makes a big watery mess. You'll also need a wash cloth.
You'll need a couple water bottles for drinking water. I like 2 liter pop bottles. You only need one, unless your train hopping it. Then you might need two.
You don't need to carry a knife! That'll get you either a ticket or jail time. Carry a screwdriver if you feel afraid! It's legal and it'll keep you from snuggling up to BuBBA!
Well I hope some of this makes sense. Good luck on what-ever you do! Remember, pack light! Your gonna be doing alot of walking!

Last edited:

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I totally agree w/highwayman! Get rid of the stove and fishing poles. Make a small fishing kit consisting of a handline and hooks. Make a fire kit consisting of a magnifying glass and flint stiker or a empty zippo.
Why zippo? You can find old non-working plastic bics all over the place! You tear em' apart for the flints. Then put together a sewing kit, cause your stuff always rips when you least expect it. Practice your survival skills! If you don't have any skills then hang out with enough people and you'll learn.
You'll need a good strong pack. I prefer canvas, because you can patch it with denim jeans, which you can find everywhere.
You'll need a sleeping bag. Try to find a light one for summer, and a heavier one for winter. I prefer warmer climates because I like to trap squirrels and rabbits, but I also dumpster dive. I also like to carry a small cooking pot, but sometimes I'll ditch it for a quart size paint can if I can get the funds to buy a new one because their lighter than a cook pot.
Never reuse an old paint can! For obvious reasons.
You'll need a stuff sack. It makes a good pillow and to store dirty clothes and also as emergency repair material for your clothes. You'll need a couple bars of soap, deodorant, and a roll of toilet paper.
I on the other hand, learned to get by without soap and shampoo by reusing old plastic bottles. Just go into restaurants and fill your bottle with hand soap. To take a bath, just bathe in the local water hole. You also could bathe out of the sink, but that makes a big watery mess. You'll also need a wash cloth.
You'll need a couple water bottles for drinking water. I like 2 liter pop bottles. You only need one, unless your train hopping it. Then you might need two.
You don't need to carry a knife! That'll get you either a ticket or jail time. Carry a screwdriver if you feel afraid! It's legal and it'll keep you from snuggling up to BuBBA!
Well I hope some of this makes sense. Good luck on what-ever you do! Remember, pack light! Your gonna be doing alot of walking!
Thanks for the tips! that zippo trick sounds really useful, i'll try that.

kecleon

Reaction score
I wash that sucka; dry it, etc. It doesn't leak, per se...rather rain permeates through the fabric. I like it because it's camo which means I can use it in ''close-to-urban'' environments where I don't want hikers/joggers/dog-walkers/random passers-by to see me or mess with me; and a tent would be noticeable. ...Yeah! The new digital camo/ACU.

That kinda sounds more like condensation, if you're a heavy breather it'll get so bad you think it's leaking but it's all from you. you can get some nixwax or whatever its called an reproof it you need to clean it first then there's one that's like a wash and I think a spray but they're both pretty small and fit up a sleeve while the weather still allows so easy pickings.

For the guy with the fire holes I superglue those and it works real good.

kecleon

Reaction score
I think a poncho is better than rain gear which I hate it's bulky as hell for nothing, like unless you live in permanent rain a poncho is at least multi use and lighter.

Just don't buy anything more, keep what you got minus some of the useless stuff and save the cash until you know what you need.

Also you can carry a Swiss army knife that's not gonna get you attested ffs. Its way more fucking useful than a screwdriver

Did you buy this stuff yet? If no we can give better suggestions for everything but if you have it keep it

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads