Gear for riding in the winter?

Xavierr

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty much new to the rails so have only been going through it in hot to cool weather. I know things will get colddd as fuck seeing as I was shivering my ass off when I lost my hoodie passin thru idaho in august. Still see no reason to stop and settle south for the winter (say this cuz i hear of a lot of people that avoid it in winter seasons) when some of the best scenary and most awesome cities in my opinion exist Northwest, and further up in the Northeast (maine,ect). I only have insulated coveralls, but what DOES everyone personally use for winter rides? Any suggested gear that has done you all well is appreciated too.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Are you new to cold weather? Thermal underwear is the best weight to warmth investment you can make.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
if yer sleeping bag doesnt quite cut it... get one of those small fleece blankets...thrift stores usually have them and either sew it to the inside of yer sleepin bag or wrap up in it before gettin in...their also good for waiting on trains or just hangin out when you dont wanna break out all yer gear...........wool socks are the shit.........beanie or facemask is a must have...... avoid steel toe boots......a few nice thick back trash bags are good to have in the pack for a bivvy sack/improv rain jacket/rain fly for yer pack.............. yeah .... what she said too^................ oh, and FUCK A "SNUGGIE"..... theyre the biggest dumbest ripoff bullshit things ever....they came out i'm all like "hell fuckin yeah.. snuggies...best idea ever"...... theyre paper thin and are worthless for warmth :mad: ......... i've found the best gear for keepin warm is a travel buddy with whom you share affection :)

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
oh, and FUCK A "SNUGGIE"..... theyre the biggest dumbest ripoff bullshit things ever....they came out i'm all like "hell fuckin yeah.. snuggies...best idea ever"...... theyre paper thin and are worthless for warmth :mad:

WHAT!!!!! i love snuggies. all they are is a fleese blanket with arm holes. the trick is to get 2 of them and wear one backwards. will keep your ass warm. but they are kinda bulky.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
WHAT!!!!! i love snuggies. all they are is a fleese blanket with arm holes. the trick is to get 2 of them and wear one backwards. will keep your ass warm. but they are kinda bulky.

:confused:....they too thin!!!.....you can see through them...... PFFT

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
:confused:....they too thin!!!.....you can see through them...... PFFT

maybe if you got a knock off the one my gma got me was thick. but whatever. never traveled with one. i have a fleese sleeping bag linner with a zipper for the extra warmth.

xACABx

Reaction score
Thermal under garments, long johns and whatnot. Wool socks. Fuck no to steel-toed boots unless you want to lose your toes. I just invested in a down sleeping bag that's graded for 10 degree weather, but I'm also doing the aforementioned fleece blanket trick and tucking myself inside it, this is what I did while homeless in Boston during the winter and it kept me nice and toasty, I even woke up sweating some nights. A cuddle buddy is always nice. Also I've heard getting something insulated like the shit underneath carpets or a nice bedroll to put under you and keep you off the coldness of the ground should also help.

Reactions: Kal and Nelco

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Also I've heard getting something insulated like the shit underneath carpets or a nice bedroll to put under you and keep you off the coldness of the ground should also help.
yeah those roll-up foam pads they sell at walmart (or somethin similar) are definitely worth having...especially ridin trains....cardboard works too tho.......never even though of the carpet padding stuff........

dartagnan

Reaction score
I heard somewhere, maybe read it, dont remember, that if you wrap your body in plastic bag (touching your skin) then dress up and stuff your pants and jacket with news paper you'll stay nice and toasty. never tried it, I just try to avoid sleeping in the snow

xACABx

Reaction score
yeah those roll-up foam pads they sell at walmart (or somethin similar) are definitely worth having...especially ridin trains....cardboard works too tho.......never even though of the carpet padding stuff........
I'm not sure where I heard/read about the padding from under carpets trick but I would imagine it could be very insulating and it's also pretty light to carry around.

Nelco

Reaction score
..never thought about sewing fleece into my bag
know what i'll be sewing soon
thanks

Xavierr

Reaction score
if yer sleeping bag doesnt quite cut it... get one of those small fleece blankets...thrift stores usually have them and either sew it to the inside of yer sleepin bag or wrap up in it before gettin in...their also good for waiting on trains or just hangin out when you dont wanna break out all yer gear...........wool socks are the shit.........beanie or facemask is a must have...... avoid steel toe boots......a few nice thick back trash bags are good to have in the pack for a bivvy sack/improv rain jacket/rain fly for yer pack.............. yeah .... what she said too^................ oh, and FUCK A "SNUGGIE"..... theyre the biggest dumbest ripoff bullshit things ever....they came out i'm all like "hell fuckin yeah.. snuggies...best idea ever"...... theyre paper thin and are worthless for warmth :mad: ......... i've found the best gear for keepin warm is a travel buddy with whom you share affection :)

this is what I was lookin for thanks. My sleepin bag is warm but not completely. most of the ones made for harsher conditions just cost more everywhere i look too.

xACABx

Reaction score
this is what I was lookin for thanks. My sleepin bag is warm but not completely. most of the ones made for harsher conditions just cost more everywhere i look too.

Most cold weather bags are going to cost you more because they are rated for worse conditions than your ordinary sleeping bag. I got mine at Amazon.com for 130 plus shipping, but it's my size, lightweight, compresses down sooo tiny, and it's filled with down which will be much warmer and less weight than the synthetic bullshit.

Did you ever manage to get a new backpack?

Xavierr

Reaction score
Most cold weather bags are going to cost you more because they are rated for worse conditions than your ordinary sleeping bag. I got mine at Amazon.com for 130 plus shipping, but it's my size, lightweight, compresses down sooo tiny, and it's filled with down which will be much warmer and less weight than the synthetic bullshit.

Did you ever manage to get a new backpack?

Nah I like my pack. I can just shove everything in there with out rolling it up or compressing it and it does fine, better than it would when I tried compressing everything.

xACABx

Reaction score
Nah I like my pack. I can just shove everything in there with out rolling it up or compressing it and it does fine, better than it would when I tried compressing everything.

If it works for you then awesome. I got a new pack (it was kicked down) because my last one had a strap that was tearing, like the shoulder strap I carry it by was ripping. The one that was kicked down was way too large and I had no way of compressing it and making it small so I now got a new one, a Kelty Lakota 65. It fits my new sleeping bag and everything I need just fine and it's small and fits my frame since I'm not exactly large in the first place. I'm glad to see your pack is working for you despite the fact it's extremely large and bulky in my opinion.

Kelty-Lakota-65-m-l-java.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads