cropped-forest_bamboo2.jpg
← Continued Relevance
But is She Wearing Enough Robes? →
June 5, 2009 · 7:11 pm
↓ Jump to Comments
Make a Human Litter Box in Your Room
privy23.jpg
A Modern Version of a Heian-era Toilet

Though one hardly likes to mention such things, there are parts of every day life in Heian Japan that we modern-day people would have a hard time getting used to. Though the Genji and The Pillow Book rarely mention such activities as eating or cleaning, we do know what Heian-era aristocrats used instead of modern day bathrooms.

Imagine a rectangular area cut out of your floor and filled with sand. This, friends, is a Heian-era “privy box” or toilet. My cat uses something cleaner. That’s right – for all their style, aesthetic taste, and

upscaleprivy1.jpg

fabu
lous hair, Heian ladies in waiting used a litter box. It makes one feel a little better about not having the best poetic skills, no?

Next time you rent an apartment or house, ask the landlord if you’ll be permitted to dig a one foot deep privy box in your room and fill it with sand. If he questions further, look extremely embarrassed and mutter something under your breath about needing servants to clean the privy box. He’ll question no further.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

I DON'T even feel bad having to Copy Paste the articles for you... ::cat::

lol...

But don't expect me to clean out your privy box.::dead:: Bastardo! ::drinkingbuddy::

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini and Tude

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I always said, if you don't have running water in your home, get one of those old folks portable toilets and fill it with good smelling cat litter, like SweatScoop which smells great!

It's wheat (hence the play on the name) and there's another ) can't remember the brand but it's made of corn.

;)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads