1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Gas VS Diesel Jugging

Discussion in 'Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping' started by Kandall, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Kandall

Kandall Just signed up

Achievements:
    Address:
    Portland, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Hello 'erryone. First post here, but I've been lurkin. I have a quick question for yall. Me and my significant other are gonna get a skoolie to convert, but everyone over at skoolie.net says I'm an idiot if I don't get a diesel engine. But I'm willing to bet at least most of them have never gasjugged.

To be clear, im not asking if diesels are better engines than gassers, i know they are. Im asking if gasjugging for diesel is as easy/fast as gasjugging for gas?

Also, ive heard truck stops (like "loves") are good for diesel, but what about in the city? If im gasjugging for diesel in a city like seattle, san francisco, or portland, am I gonna be stuck there all day?

2. bystander

bystander observing
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Mr. Rager
    Address:
    Verona, Wisconsin, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +205 / -1
    At least in Madison:

Diesel = workers, truckers, landscaping crews, construction crews, state employees, farmers etc. We only have diesel at probably 1 out of 5 gas stations here

Petrol = common use, families- which seem more likely to give then someone 'on the clock', its everywhere

I have not jugged before so maybe I'm not the advice you're looking for, or I might be wrong..but here is my 2c :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Confusing Confusing x 1
  3. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    Personally my bus doesnt move unless its a rideshare with 8 people or more or for a project that requires the space to haul shit. A gas bus converted for living gets 6 to 8 mpg maybe 10 if you get lucky, essentially eco terrorism. I highly doubt its feasable to gas jug the amount of fuel needed to actually get anywhere with a gas bus. For only 2 people i recommend a van, its more sustainable. Ive never ever jugged for gas or diesel so i cant say how easy it is to do either.

• Like Like x 1