G20 Pittsburgh!

Bullet

Reaction score
G20

A group of about 3-5 of us are coming from Asheville to Pittsburgh for G20 and looking for a possible place to stay. Squat or otherwise. If you know of a place (or have one) where we could crash for a few days (probably starting on the 20th until the 25th) or at least stash our packs, it would be much appreciated. Some of us are also looking to help out in whatever way we can. Organizing, food, etc. This group is still in the works but will have more details soon. Just trying to organize and get a feel for what to expect. Thanks! Anything helps!

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
duplicate threads about g20... i merged them into one post.

däv

Reaction score
I'm in PDX and am just starting to figure out a way out to Pittsburgh/crash spaces/etc

I ran into a kid last night who's planning on hitching out there and has squat space out there that he told me I'd be able to crash at... Unfortunately, however, I lost his contact info.

In any case... I'm interested in leaving for Pittsburgh anytime in the first 2 weeks of September (due mostly to the fact that I begin couch surfing on the 1st and am not particularly interested in overstaying my welcome on friends' couches)... so... if anybody else in the Pacific NW is going and wants to mob out in some sort of consolidated effort... I'm certainly interested in discussing the possibilities.

Mogwai

Reaction score
I am going to try and go as well. Was thinking I'd probably find a way to get there by train. Don't have any places to stay yet, but totes down in exchanging help for shelter. I'll check out the link posted above too.

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

I'm probably going to try to hitch there from california (sacramento), so if anyone in that area was planning on hitching too, we should go together!

Loaf

Reaction score
Home - G20

check that out. I don't want to go into detail to explaining it all. Or give my opinion right now. I was in london when it went on in April. It got wild, someone died after being assualted by riot cops. Look up Ian Tomlinson. A hemmorage. It was rough. As for convergence spaces, hopefully they set something secure up. Ours got fucking radied the next day everyone in handcuffs and arrested then de-arrested and some detained for further "questioning." The usual. They did this simultaneously at 2 different squat/convergence spaces. Hopefully, they cops don't emualte what they see across the pond.

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'll be headed down from Boston, or coming from central PA, depending. Going by thumb, probably.

RoboIsGod

Reaction score
There is a large group leaving from boston but i am taking a car with a friend. we most likely will have 2, maybe 3 empty seats. if anyone in the boston/western massachusetts area is interested in riding down, send me a pm!

liberate_lancaster

Reaction score
anyone have info on half decent dumpsters/cheap eats etc (i already found the FNB website). The only dumpster I know about is the beer dumpster, and unfortunately I can't live on beer alone. PM me if you don't want to blow up the dumpster locations....

k8te

Reaction score
Here is an updated list of contacts and events during the G20 in Pittsburgh

Peoples’ Summit, an alternative to the G20, will discuss global problems and possible solutions, organized by a partnership of educators and social advocacy groups (Sept. 19, 21, 22).

• Contact: Paul LeBlanc, 412-760-9716, pghpeoplessummit@gmail.com

The People's Summit - Discuss the G20 in Pittsburgh, PA

Bail Out the People, caravans of unemployed workers will set up a tent city at the Monumental Baptist Church on Sept. 20-25 and march to the Convention Center on Sept. 20.

Bail Out the People-Not the Banks!

Women’s Tent City: Real People, Real Needs and feeder march, organized by CodePink, the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, and other groups (Sept. 20-25).

• codepinkalert.org/pittsburgh

Three Rivers Climate Convergence, a partnership of local, regional and national groups and individuals who are organizing a climate justice camp, coal/climate protests, a feeder march, and educational events (Sept. 20-25).

• Contact: Kim Teplitzky, 267-307-4707, 3riversconvergence@gmail.com

Three Rivers Climate Convergence: United for Environmental Justice

G6 Billion Project, Interfaith journey and witness on behalf of the more that 6 billion people of the world (Sept. 20 witness downtown – Sept 21 International Day of peace vigil)

• Contact: Wanda Guthrie, 412-596-0066, wanda.guthrie@gmail.com

www.g6billion.org

International Peace, Justice, & Empowerment Summit, organized by the National Council For Urban Peace, Justice and Empowerment (Sept. 22-23)

• Contact: T Rashad Byrdsong, 412-371-3689 x14, TRByrdsong@ceapittsburgh.org

Peoples’ Voices, organized by the Institute for Policy Studies, The Nation Magazine, United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE), Pittsburgh United, and others. They are organizing a panel discussion (Sept. 23), a “Peoples’ Tribunal” (Sept. 24), and other events.

• Contact: Robin Alexander, 412-471-8919, peoplesvoices.events@gmail.com

People's Voices | Pittsburgh UNITED

Music Camp is holding an informal Open Mic for musicians, poets/spoken word, and other artists in the Southside Riverfront Park (18th St., near the river), free and organized by artists and members of the community, on Sat. Sept. 19 at 1pm - Sept. 26.

Pittsburgh G20 Resistance Project is providing mobilization support and organizing a march starting in Lawrenceville on Sept. 24 and decentralized actions that end at 11:30am on Sept. 25.

Pittsburgh G-20 Resistance Project | Pittsburgh G20 Resistance Project

SDS Concert, featuring Anti-Flag, State Radio, and Ryan Harvey, organized by Students for a Democratic Society (Sept. 24)

• studentpowerinthefaceofempire.wordpress.com

Peoples’ March to the G20, a rally and mass march from Oakland to downtown organized by the Thomas Merton Center and its Antiwar Committee (Sept. 25), endorsed by over 55 groups.

• Contact: Pete Shell, 412-422-7435, info@pittsburghendthewar.org

Thomas Merton Center Anti-War Committee

(via Boston Anti Authoritarian Network)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads