FUCK YOU MIDWAY!

urchin

Reaction score
Seriously fuck that town.

I recently (a day or two ago) got back home in middle Georgia from downtown Jacksonville via walking all but maybe 200 mikes of the trip. FYI walking out of Jacksonville from downtown is a task, especially with a hold-all bag and backpack. Anyway…

I got a ride from a hippie truck driver named Jerry who dropped me off in the town of Midway. Instead of a Waffle House, which I find have very nice waitresses who will feed travelers for free with the right conversation, I found myself at a Huddle House.

When I entered it there were two officers to my right, one couple to my left, and four workers. After a little discussion I got them to make me some hash browns which I ate so fast I didn't realize what happened. As I did so one of the officers came to me and said my food looked good. I said it is and finished eating before starting the first of my six glasses of water. Once the police were gone I made my way to the gas station nearby and looked over the maps. I asked the attendant a few questions about the area. Somewhat satisfied I turned around and saw a sheriff with a huge potbelly.

I asked him about any shortcuts from I-95 to I-16. He said he doesn't know but will call his partner. About twenty minutes later, ten of which consisted of them talking to each other outside, his partner approached me. It was the same officer who talked to me about my food.

"So where are you headed?"

"in the end, middle Georgia."

"That isn't what I asked you. Where are you headed?"

Thinking over my answer I told him I just want to know of a shortcut to I-16.

"I'm not going to take you there." He stares at me.

"I wasn't asking you to, I just need a tip."

"You can't stay here overnight."

"I…didn't plan to stay here."

"Okay." He stares at me harder. "Go on."

I leave and head back to the Huddle House. I was walking almost all day and was still thirsty. I at least wanted to be hydrated before I set up camp for the night.

One of the workers ask me what I'm doing back and I told her I wanted some water while I look at my map (the highway one posted here). She gives me my water, I thank her, and silently sip on it. About five minutes later the same cop shows back up and stands next to me.

"What are you doing here?"

"Drinking water. I'm really thirsty."

"The people don't want you here."

I look around me. The two workers who were there didn't have the time to text or call anyone, nor was I asked to leave by anyone. A black family of four sits silently in the corner, looking at what's going on quickly before going back to eating their food. It dawns on me what kind of town this is.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No. They just don't want you here."

"Okay. I'll get going." I say to him. He smiles.

I walk down the road and spot a big tree which cast a large dark shadow just outside of the town. I set up my tarp as a bedroll, put my blanket over me, and used my packs as a pillow. I fall asleep to some black metal, thinking the morning will be better.

The next morning I pack up my gear, empty the cup I got from Huddle House in preparation for some tea, and make my way toward the gas station. I pour the hot water for the coffee tap and make my way to the bathroom. Once I leave the restroom with a hot cup of tea with a few packets of raw sugar, an attendant yells at me.

"YOU GONA' PAY FOR THAT REFILL!?"

I turn and ask her what she meant.

"You were over there!" She says, pointing at the drink area.

"To get hot water for my tea."

She sighs then replies "Fine go.". Then under her breath she tells me not to come back. I ask her what she said and she said she didn't say anything. I end up leaving the store and after failing to get anything from flying a sign for an hour, I walk from the city.

Unless you like pain and harassment. Stay the fuck away from Midway.

• Sad
Reactions: beersalt

scatwomb

Reaction score
Haha, I am sure it felt worse than you describe in your post and I don't mean to offend you, but, that sounds like a pretty average day for a traveller in a small town right off the interstate.

Sorry you experienced all that garbage, though.

Reactions: bryanpaul

bryanpaul

Reaction score
yyyup.... been to plenty of places especially in the south where if you walk in to town with a pack on yer back either you get shitty looks from everyone or the cops are on yer ass........ I-95 is such a shitty desolate highway....the few places in between the major cities have probably been blown up for 20-30-40 years
funny because on the flipside....sometimes the places you get treated nicest are po-dunk southern towns.......
i think a good measure of how good an exit is, is how many beer cans and 40 bottles and old signs and old foul smelling blankets and shit are up under the highway bridge.......the more the trash...the shittier the spot.....maybe

Yeah, I can relate..typical town. And Guess what..Its gettin even worse because fuckin oooooooogles!!!
maaan dont bame it all on us oogles..... the old heads who live up and down 95 and back and forth across I-10 and shit do theyre fair share of dumb shit...... i guess theyre just grown up oogles

urchin

Reaction score
Haha, I am sure it felt worse than you describe in your post and I don't mean to offend you, but, that sounds like a pretty average day for a traveller in a small town right off the interstate.

Sorry you experienced all that garbage, though.

It's fine. I just advise everyone to stay away from that shithole even if you have to walk at night. On the other hand while waiting under the nearest bridge a few miles away I met this really cool missionary named Carl and his dog Trevor.

D

Deleted member 8978

Back in March 24th of 2016, that was the night that I caught my first train, an outbound IM going southward toward the Jesup split at the least. It was 02:00 that morning when it stopped at the US 84 bridge in the outskirts of Midway. So I got off and walked into town. I spent a few hours at the 84/17 intersection trying to hitch me a ride back to Savannah, but the town itself was pretty much dead during the night. As I walked further east toward the I 95 exit, I was finally able to get a ride which was a black man somewhere in his mid 40's. He dropped me off at the US 17 exit because he had to go the other way, so I walked US 17 through Richmond Hill before sun rise. Finally about a mile north of the 17/204 exit next to Keller's Flea Market, I got one more free ride from two elderly black men with a truck carrying mattresses in the back as I went to Planet Fitness near Interstate 516 where my car was parked.

Overall, there was no police activity in Midway within my presence. No one was mean or had any attitude at all. It didn't matter to me if anyone was sniffing my car back in Savannah as long as no one fucked it up or got it towed. The thumb tactic never worked at all and I figured I would now have at least one reason to never do that again. If for any reason going forward, that Midway still remains an unfriendly go-fuck-yourself kind of town that is not worth visiting or resting at, the only kind of joy you'll get out of it is a sidelined IM in the middle of the night - outside of town on the US 84 bridge west of Midway (over the CSX main drag). As far as any attempt to rest, I never got a chance to look under the 84 bridge, so I am not sure how often people would go under there to set up a sleeping bag. Plus not too far from the 84 bridge, you'll there find an Indian-ran little gas station that I believe sells beer and cheap cigs.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads