FTRA (1 Viewer)

I Am Echo

Lurker
Current Location
Houston, TX
So as I was doing some train hopping research yesterday, I came across this video on YouTube of some ex freighthopper and she gave a warning about the FTRA. I then decided to do some background research of the group and got a lot of negative results.

So, have any of you ever come across a FTRA member? If so, please comment/ message (still new and struggling here lol) your story, I am very interested to hear it!!!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Desperado Deluxe

Wanderer
Current Location
51-59 W Nevada Pl, Denver, CO 80209, USA
Dude they're chill mostly just a bunch of old guys that have retired from riding the rails its the young ones that say they're FTRA that you have to watch out for cuz most of em are full of shit and have something to prove. The young ones that actually do have affiliation or whatever usually keep their mouth closed about it. I've personally ran across a handful of the older guys in my travels and havnt had any problems with them and found them to be rather helpful.

OP
I Am Echo

I Am Echo

Lurker
Current Location
Houston, TX
Dude they're chill mostly just a bunch of old guys that have retired from riding the rails its the young ones that say they're FTRA that you have to watch out for cuz most of em are full of shit and have something to prove. The young ones that actually do have affiliation or whatever usually keep their mouth closed about it. I've personally ran across a handful of the older guys in my travels and havnt had any problems with them and found them to be rather helpful.
Thanks for the feedback! I never came across one but I'm glad to hear that most are helpful. I plan on freighthopping once I graduate. Hopefully I don't encounter some psycholotic wanabe idiot as I travel.

Desperado Deluxe

Wanderer
Current Location
51-59 W Nevada Pl, Denver, CO 80209, USA
Ohoho you will my friend you will. There's a lot of dipshits out there nowadays hard to find good level headed people but they're out there. Shit just gets crazy when you travel. just expect some of your own screws to come loose cuz they probably will. But that in mind its easier to keep control.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
HOW IS THIS A STORY?:mad: @I Am Echo Please use the search button to answer your many questions about how to, where to & to debunk all of your traveling myths. There is little of value in this thread, please do better next time. Stories are usually first hand accounts of experiences you actually had. Dont worry about riding my trains & the FTRA, just focus on high school & learning how to hop, hitch & live out on the road without pissing too many of us off before you even depart.Of yeah, Welcome to STP! Be carefull because there are psychotic wannbe idiots everywhere, some are here online, some are not associated with any specific gangs, are young & dirty & blend in with the rest of everyone. Some people suck but that dont mean that they are only FTRA. Some kids claim they are things & actually behave as they are. I like to call these types oogles & poseurs (if you speak french). Just be yourself & keep to yourself & life is a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited:
OP
I Am Echo

I Am Echo

Lurker
Current Location
Houston, TX
Ohoho you will my friend you will. There's a lot of dipshits out there nowadays hard to find good level headed people but they're out there. Shit just gets crazy when you travel. just expect some of your own screws to come loose cuz they probably will. But that in mind its easier to keep control.
Again, thanks for the feedback. Every piece of advice counts.

OP
I Am Echo

I Am Echo

Lurker
Current Location
Houston, TX
HOW IS THIS A STORY?:mad: @I Am Echo Please use the search button to answer your many questions about how to, where to & to debunk all of your traveling myths. There is little of value in this thread, please do better next time. Stories are usually first hand accounts of experiences you actually had. Dont worry about riding my trains & the FTRA, just focus on high school & learning how to hop, hitch & live out on the road without pissing too many of us off before you even depart.Of yeah, Welcome to STP! Be carefull because there are psychotic wannbe idiots everywhere, some are here online, some are not associated with any specific gangs, are young & dirty & blend in with the rest of everyone. Some people suck but that dont me that they are only FTRA. Some kids claim they are things & actually behave as they are. I like to call these types oogles & poseurs (if you speak french). Just be yourself & keep to yourself & life is a hell of a lot easier.
My apologies! I searched FTRA and came up with just people mentioning them but not going in depth on other threads so I thought the appropriate thing to do is create one and just get some insight for I am curious. I'll think about what I post next time. As for high school, no worries, I have that covered. Honor role as a matter of fact. Becoming a nomad on the other hand is something I'm looking into which is why I joined this site, hence why I posted this thread. Thanks for welcoming me by the way! And I know that, haha, danger is everywhere. Take Ivan Milat as an example! One of the many reasons why not to backpack around the world, but we all know that it won't stop people from actually doing it. Thanks for the advice

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Ok, fine. I knew a guy who was FTRA. I met him a couple times while riding and he was the only person who mentioned he was FTRA although I am sure there were others. He seemed to be an alright guy except he was fairly anti-social. He never did me wrong, but I wasn't going to let my guard down around him (which is pretty impossible to keep up if you are travelling with somebody or even hanging out for awhile). He invited me to go on a "crime spree" with him. Not sure about details, but told him I was not interested. Anti-social people are typically who inhabit prisons.

Anyway...that was about a single individual who didn't represent the FTRA.

Would you like to hear my stories about crooked cops? They are crooked as all fuck (and anti-social) but they don't represent all cops either.

OP
I Am Echo

I Am Echo

Lurker
Current Location
Houston, TX
Ok, fine. I knew a guy who was FTRA. I met him a couple times while riding and he was the only person who mentioned he was FTRA although I am sure there were others. He seemed to be an alright guy except he was fairly anti-social. He never did me wrong, but I wasn't going to let my guard down around him (which is pretty impossible to keep up if you are travelling with somebody or even hanging out for awhile). He invited me to go on a "crime spree" with him. Not sure about details, but told him I was not interested. Anti-social people are typically who inhabit prisons.

Anyway...that was about a single individual who didn't represent the FTRA.

Would you like to hear my stories about crooked cops? They are crooked as all fuck (and anti-social) but they don't represent all cops either.
Thanks for the short story :) and yes! Any story should be told/ shared with.

highwayman

Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
I think that what worries me is the overall negative image of freight hoppers, hitchhikers & all travelers. We dont need to look any worse, wherever we go or even online. We need good honor roll type kids to travel & accept a voluntary life of poverty while hopping trains & leave places better than when they arrived. What we dont need is promoting urban legends about more negative shit in our micro society. The fact is that there are groups of unnamed scumfucks that prowl around yards & cities who hop trains & genuinely fuck things up for everyone who comes after, robbing people & beating them up, stealing there gear etc. They suck but are impossible to avoid just as any others. They dont identify as FTRA but do exibit the same behavior. It is an old group & most are dead & gone now but that dont stop copycat groups & individuals from imitating them. There are also lots of good people out there too. Sorry to jump down your throat @I Am Echo but your questions are not new to us. There are lots of unknowns out there in the big bad world, some bad; mot good. I embrace & love them & I only find them on the road. Welcome to freedom!

OP
I Am Echo

I Am Echo

Lurker
Current Location
Houston, TX
I think that what worries me is the overall negative image of freight hoppers, hitchhikers & all travelers. We dont need to look any worse, wherever we go or even online. We need good honor roll type kids to travel & accept a voluntary life of poverty while hopping trains & leave places better than when they arrived. What we dont need is promoting urban legends about more negative shit in our micro society. The fact is that there are groups of unnamed scumfucks that prowl around yards & cities who hop trains & genuinely fuck things up for everyone who comes after, robbing people & beating them up, stealing there gear etc. They suck but are impossible to avoid just as any others. They dont identify as FTRA but do exibit the same behavior. It is an old group & most are dead & gone now but that dont stop copycat groups & individuals from imitating them. There are also lots of good people out there too. Sorry to jump down your throat @I Am Echo but your questions are not new to us. There are lots of unknowns out there in the big bad world, some bad; mot good. I embrace & love them & I only find them on the road. Welcome to freedom!
There are a lot of reasons why travelers, hitchhikers, and freighthoppers have bad names but in my opinion the greatest reason why is because our society is runned by selfish capitalist who sees this small part of people as lazy, good for nothing dogs which really angers me because in reality the majority are nothing like that. Take freegans for example. They are helping this planet by taking actions to minimize waste and attempt to create a new society based upon cooperation instead of competition. But in all honesty, the negative image will not be lifted until something moving happens and that won't happen until a brilliant mind or group of them do something but I am afraid that, like everything, it will take a tremendous amount of time.

Bringing up the FTRA here is, in my opinion, not necessarily promoting it but educating people who might someday come across this specific thread/ messages. Notifying them that such a group existed and that there are still and will continue to be people like this throughout life and notifying them that not all travelers are like these people. We can not keep something dark hidden just because it doesn't shine light. That's just my way of thinking and I know that this may bother you for I am new and haven't even traveled but thinking that someone's curiosity isn't as valuable is, itself, a negative image.

highwayman

Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
I guess I am actually glad you created this thread to open up the dialogue. The issue isnt that the FTRA existed, it is that there are unnamed scumfucks who behave exactly the same & or worse out there. We are all responsible to create a better image for travelers. We as travelers do not exist without capitalism & the waste & excess of the rich. We dont have to participate in living their way but we have a symbiotic relationship. Without people buying goods there is no rail traffic. Without them working for a profit we have no dumpsters to dive when out of code goods are thrown away. If they are not commuting with there cars or delivering goods by truck than we cant hitchhike,

If the masses are all living in poverty as thrird world countries (much worse than our Great Depresion) there will be no freegans only other trying to survive buy any means. Care for the planet goes out the window, look at the logging of forests/rainforests for wood to cook on. We are blessed to have many resources in this country, some of the resources are those who kickdown cash & goods to us while spanging. We hobos/tramps must not get swept up & be criminalized by our government! We are not criminals; we are a fabric of American culture that needs to be preserved. Please ride with dignity & respect & our world will be better . Hopefully our way of life can survive.

wombatt

Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
I dont know why but it seems like every kid who just found out about riding trains is fucking obsessed with the FTRA. where did this come from why are people so terrified of a bunch of old folks duct taping them to a boxcar? I dont mean to sound repetative but I think the real problem is not specifically FTRA affiliated people but just folks who look to take advantage of and harm others giving this whole subculture a bad name and making life much more difficult/shorter for genuenly good and kindhearted people.

P

pigpen

I deleted myself
those who actually know what it's about won't talk about it and vice versa.

edit - maybe not "won't" but typically do not.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I dont know why but it seems like every kid who just found out about riding trains is fucking obsessed with the FTRA. where did this come from why are people so terrified of a bunch of old folks duct taping them to a boxcar? I dont mean to sound repetative but I think the real problem is not specifically FTRA affiliated people but just folks who look to take advantage of and harm others giving this whole subculture a bad name and making life much more difficult/shorter for genuenly good and kindhearted people.
it's because the media blew it up really bad in the mid 90's. to the point where pretty much all recorded history about the FTRA is about how they're all murders and all kinds of stupid crap. none of it is true. i train hopped with 'no nuts' once (an FTRA guy) and he was a super awesome guy, taught me a ton of shit about trains. it's true that you have to watch out for the younger folk (anyone under 30) claiming to be FTRA, those are the scum fuck oogles that will knife you or throw you off a train. don't trust them.

Current Location
philthy
Rumors spread and getting stabbed sucks! I just say stay to yourself except one or two other riders you know fairly well and trust to some degree. Avoid the rest (for the most part) and stay under the radar to keep yoyrself healthy and free

Worrying about specific groups that you really wont run into very much (even the poseur bitches) is a waste of time. But always keep your eyes out and dont make yourself a target. Be prepared for anything. If you look weak or easy to rob or beat up for no reason, you might get it. Keep a smiley if not a knife or other weapon. Pepper spray is handy and tasers are cool as fuck!

J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
If your worried about FTRA or getting robbed by scumbags then riding trains is probably not something you should consider...

In fact, you probably should be more worried about walking through that sketchy ass hood to get to or from the train yard.,

wrkrsunite

Rambler
Current Location
San Fransisco
If your worried about FTRA or getting robbed by scumbags then riding trains is probably not something you should consider...

In fact, you probably should be more worried about walking through that sketchy ass hood to get to or from the train yard.,
So true the places trains leave you are fucked ( memphis, atlanta/the bluff, elpisshole, hell everywhere) and the only ftra guy i rode with in my years on the rails was cool as shit, and knew his trains, yards and lines. Taught me a lot. If their under 45 n claim ftra then worry.

Art101

Wanderer
Current Location
Cheyenne WY
When I started riding the FTRA was active on the westcoast.I met one or two and they were stand up people.Told me a lot and gave me great advice.The latest exposure I had was in Boise 3 yrs ago and the person was a total waste of space,fighting downtown and drawing heat down on us to the point we finally had to tell the person to hit the road.Now mind you this over 20 yrs later so I know things change but I have to agree with Matt.All the stories coming out of Spokane were the "creative" police work of a detective there.

wrkrsunite

Rambler
Current Location
San Fransisco
I will say this, I've seen whole hell of a lot more shit and havok created on the rails (at yards ect.)by kids claiming scum fuck, wrecking crew and wrong way kids then any ftra fellows (and i know members of each crew stated personally). Each person needs to be judged on his or her actions. And if you feel the need to be in a crew.......well that may say something about you. That being said fuck the reagan administration is a pretty fucking cool name.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Art101 General Banter 8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!
I really need to find someone catching out around at joseph... I don't know if I can do this for the first time in my own...
you are not immune to propaganda
EastCoastTurtle wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
You sould come chill in Bend. Could show you around. + its super chill out here.

Members online