Freelance journalist looking to ride the rails | Squat the Planet

Freelance journalist looking to ride the rails

loathsomeginger

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Ben and I'm a freelance journalist based in San Francisco, originally from Southern California. I specialize in covering topics involving youth, conflict, and trauma. I also happen to be an International Studies major at USF. Anyway, I'm currently looking for someone in the SF Bay Area to show me the ropes of freight/trainhopping. I know this is a lifestyle learned from real-world experience and as such I'd be incredibly grateful to anyone willing to teach me a bit. FYI, I've already done a TON of research and reading on the subject, now I just need to put it to use.

Reactions: Jaguwar

loathsomeginger

Reaction score
Reactions: Rob Nothing

rhummer92

Reaction score
ben, I'm looking for someone to show me the ropes as well, as well as someone to travel with, I'm taking a trip up to Washington state, in what direction are you heading? I'm from santa cruz, not far from you. looking to leave soon, let me know whatsup!

Reactions: loathsomeginger

loathsomeginger

Reaction score
ben, I'm looking for someone to show me the ropes as well, as well as someone to travel with, I'm taking a trip up to Washington state, in what direction are you heading? I'm from santa cruz, not far from you. looking to leave soon, let me know whatsup!

Hey man, I don't have any solid plans in terms of where I'm going, just around the West Coast I guess. I just send you a friend request on Facebook, shall we chat there?

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just curious, what exactly do you wish to achieve by learning to freight hop? Do you want to do it just for yourself or do you wish to write about the experience? Would you write for your own profit or for awareness?

@EphemeralStick makes some excellent points here.

loathsomeginger

Reaction score
Just curious, what exactly do you wish to achieve by learning to freight hop? Do you want to do it just for yourself or do you wish to write about the experience? Would you write for your own profit or for awareness?

Good questions. In terms of what I hope to achieve or gain, I want to a.) learn an alternative form of travel that allows me to see places few do b.) meet interesting people c.) chronicle my journey along the way. This is completely self-funded and I have zero profit or publicity motive in the endeavor. If anything I'll just lose money. And if by some miracle I make any money on this I'll donate it to a worthy charity (I'd take suggestions here). I don't expect you to believe my intentions are pure from a simple forum post. My longterm goal is to find a group of young vagabonds/hobos to "embed" with around the country and focus on their lives, views, and backgrounds. I'm not necessarily doing this for awareness either, I'm just doing it because I'm inherently drawn to it for reasons I can't reasonably articulate.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads