Free WiFi across the USA! | Squat the Planet

Free WiFi across the USA!

D

Deleted member 14481

This is a thread to list of cities, neighborhoods, and such areas that are linked with free wifi!

Albuquerque NM - At the large bus hubs, and the downtown bus station
Most of downtown Boston, Mass.
Old Brooklyn neighborhood in Cleveland, OH

Add to the list, if you know any!

MarsOrScars

Reaction score
Website
knotcraft.net
This is limited to certain regions, but it covers all of the US. It's a map and chronological database of every wireless network and voluntarily listed open wifi hotspots.

https://www.wigle.net/

Oh and I think I can see a log of every mobile hotspot in real time as well... scary

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@Inuyoujo Cool - but need a link to it. I'm kinda curious as to what that list has for around me. :)

<edit> nm link

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

This is limited to certain regions, but it covers all of the US. It's a map and chronological database of every wireless network and voluntarily listed open wifi hotspots.

https://www.wigle.net/

Oh and I think I can see a log of every mobile hotspot in real time as well... scary

While interesting, the map you provide seems to cover where wifi can be found free or not, correct?

OP is looking for FREE WIFI sources.

Edit: My bad, I see if you click on the filter for "free sources" it cuts out much of the known "not free wifi".

Tons of detail, thanks.

MarsOrScars

Reaction score
Website
knotcraft.net
While interesting, the map you provide seems to cover where wifi can be found free or not, correct?

OP is looking for FREE WIFI sources.

I believe you can voluntarily list an open one... but it seems to do a lot more than just provide that kind of service.

The map seems to provide more of an analytical map than anything. I shared it because I was immediately inspired by this post to try and find an active wifi database. This came up.

One could cut down the search for open networks by using keywords when searching through the SSIDs. Unfortunately, it's kind of a technical challenge. However the result could be exported into a google earth model on this site.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Often when I'm sleeping out where I can find many commercial networks, I'll go in and buy something cheap, ask for the password, then I'm connected as long as I'm nearby. If it's a busy time of day, you can usually just find out without being a actual customer.

While I understand how valuable it is to share free, open networks with the community, open networks are much more rare than they used to be.

I would love to find a way to share every password we know for closed networks--every coffee shop, bar, restaurant we visit or work for.

An StP forum would be an insanely convoluted way to store and search all this data. I've been out of the tech game for too long. I wonder if someone(s) here could create a tool that interfaces with StP, allowing us to share and seek and such data.

MarsOrScars

Reaction score
Website
knotcraft.net
Often when I'm sleeping out where I can find many commercial networks, I'll go in and buy something cheap, ask for the password, then I'm connected as long as I'm nearby. If it's a busy time of day, you can usually just find out without being a actual customer.

While I understand how valuable it is to share free, open networks with the community, open networks are much more rare than they used to be.

I would love to find a way to share every password we know for closed networks--every coffee shop, bar, restaurant we visit or work for.

An StP forum would be an insanely convoluted way to store and search all this data. I've been out of the tech game for too long. I wonder if someone(s) here could create a tool that interfaces with StP, allowing us to share and seek and such data.

Easiest way to accomplish this would be a global wifi manager app. Ahem, you just wouldn't want to put specifically your private network up there.

Jerrell

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads