Free food

S

sykgutt

Go out in the woods. The cicadas are out, only every 17 years. But you can eat them, they're actually a delicacy around the world. You can fry them, sauté them in a pan, or cook them over the fire with a stick. Apparently they don't taste too bad.

[img_size = 400:1nu5isct]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4a/530937661_c29fba0c57_b.jpg/800px-530937661_c29fba0c57_b.jpg[/img_size:1nu5isct]

S

sykgutt

Where I live there are millions per acre. They are laid as eggs underground, and they live on the juice of tree roots until they come out 17 years later. They're fucking creepy.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
You really have to eat them as soon as they get out of the ground to get the most out of them, since if you look closely, you'll notice that they have no mouth. That means they can't eat, so they slowly use up all the energy that could be in your stomach instead.

Reactions: Mankini
S

sykgutt

They do eat, just not very much, they do most of their eating while they're in the ground, cause when they're above ground they're just looking for a mate. They basically just eat sap and shit like that.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
fish go fuckin crazy for em....... its like all you can eat buffet of cicadas for bass and other freshwater fish when theyre out ...put them bitches on a hook and catch some real food......and just wondering, does any body else travel with fishing line and hooks and lures.....?

S

sykgutt

I do, because i've been in situations where I want to fish and I have to improvise, and it has never worked. Making your own hooks sucks. I have, however, caught fish with a stick and some fishing line/hook/sinker

plus, it's weightless and small, so you may as well...

derekja

Reaction score
I almost always have a bit of fishing line on me. I actually caught a little fish on gear I made myself once, though. Carved a hook from some bone I found, made line from dogbane, and a grasshoper as bait. It was on this survival trek I did a couple years ago trying to live in the woods for a week with nothing but a knife. I wouldn't recommend it, but the fish sure tasted good on an empty stomach!

S

sykgutt

damn, you've got some skill. i've tried making shit out of bones, it's not easy. never attempted to make cordage, though i plan on it someday, because i want to do one of those survival week type things

derekja

Reaction score
yeah it was an experience worth doing alright. I'm not in a hurry to do it again, but it proved it's point that getting lost in the woods isn't an immediate life threatening situation.

Cordage is really fun. It's amazing how strong it is, even from plants that you wouldn't expect to be strong. The trick with the hooks, btw, is that they aren't shaped like metal fish hooks. You make them pointed on each end and then tie the line in the middle. It's called a toggle hook. The idea is that the fish swallows it lengthwise, but when you pull on the line since it's pulling from the center the hook turns sideways in the fish's throat and gets stuck.

M

Mouse

they did their 7 year thing a while ago around this area and my bf at the times brother was a culinary student and they made them cook them for class.

all I know is those fuckers are annoyingly loud and I hate them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads