Four wheeler/ATV | Squat the Planet

Four wheeler/ATV

EastCoast315

Reaction score
So imagine having an ATV, with a trailer behind it, that holds a wall tent to live in, extra gas, foodstuffs, a gun, a fishing pole, traps, skis, and basically everything you need. With this rig, you ask around, look at some maps, and find ways all across the country, just on dirt roads and trails. With a setup like this, you could operate nomadically, keeping only a tarp to sleep under every night, in a new location. Or you could operate semi-nomadically, with a full size wall tent outfitted with a stove, that you would set up for the winter, the summer, or if you liked where you were, a whole year!
ATVs do pretty well on gas compared to cars; for gas money and money for basic food (would be supplemented by hunting, fishing, and gathering), you could set traps every winter, and sell fur. I'm a big skier, so this could work perfectly for me, setting up at the mountain I wished to ride at for that season, moving about the country every year.

NOW, it seems like there would be some faults in a setup like this. What happens if the trail runs out and your forced to cross a major highway, or somehow get across whole states lacking in trails? I've pondered this, and I think that it could work to tow a trailer large enough to tow the ATV itself with. Granted, you couldnt rip around 85mph all the time, but on decent roads, a steady 40 ain't bad. Then, when the trail is finished, ride to the nearest gas station or bar, take the trailer off and put the ATV on it, and see if you can find someone to tow your rig and you to the next trail that would take you westbound.

You could even hypothetically, at a high weight cost, carry a folded up inflatable raft that could hold the ATV above water, and navigate waters like this.
If you had the resources for it, you could rig up a way for a mule/donkey/ox/llama to tow your wheeler.
For use on ferries, you could walk short distances to the ferry with it, and they might(?) let you take it on.
It'd really be ideal for wide, open, barren lands, like the russian tundra, mongolia, northern canada, etc. Areas that are also not very populationally dense. Some third world countries might fit the bill.

Just throwing ideas around here, I thought this one up because as much as I'd like to get an old humvee or jeep, load it up, and drive it place to place, doing this same thing only ON the roads, I want to avoid insurance fees. I hate that shit, I hate the idea of any regular "bill". Then again, if I don't have an address, who are they gonna charge?!

Also: does anyone have experience with registering a vehicle in New Hampshire and just not buying insurance? NH is the last state that doesn't require it. Most people would say rolling with no insurance is a dumb idea, but i'd just swing for backroads, and keep to the bush.

Lets bounce back and forth here with some thoughts...

explorer_atv_utility_trailer.jpg

P

Pheonix

I've been thinking about getting an ATV for awhile and I've found craigslist to be a good source for cheap ATVs. if your going to travel with a gun make sure it registered in your name and 100% legit

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
There are cities where ATVs are street legal, but it varies from place to place. And you're damn likely to get pulled over if you're driving that thing on the interstate (though highways would likely be fine as farmers do it all the time).

Truth be told, I'm not sure if you could find many states with enough trail coverage to do what you're looking for. You'd need to plan everything ahead of time.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads