Found a job traveling in a van | Squat the Planet

Found a job traveling in a van

Zigali

Reaction score
I have found a job traveling and living in a sprinter type van for as long as I want with a day or two off after each delivery and after every 4-8 weeks I can take time off to go home or do whatever. The company president said if I pass insurance requirements I have the job without a question! I found this job at a career fair and I had no idea it existed. It’s called A. Blair Enterprises their home base is in Louisville Ky. Can’t wait to find if I pass the requirements! The president also said that the drivers that don’t take weeks and weeks off make $50-$60,000 a year. It also sound like he really wanted more drivers both for local and OTR so if anyone’s interested you might wanna check it out.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
how far do you get to travel? and are you living in the van or just using it for work?

D

Deleted member 20975

I have found a job traveling and living in a sprinter type van for as long as I want with a day or two off after each delivery and after every 4-8 weeks I can take time off to go home or do whatever. The company president said if I pass insurance requirements I have the job without a question! I found this job at a career fair and I had no idea it existed. It’s called A. Blair Enterprises their home base is in Louisville Ky. Can’t wait to find if I pass the requirements! The president also said that the drivers that don’t take weeks and weeks off make $50-$60,000 a year. It also sound like he really wanted more drivers both for local and OTR so if anyone’s interested you might wanna check it out.
Thats interesting. I like the idea of doing something like that while travelling to earn some bucks. Let us know how it works out. I think i will do more under the table type stuff though (post ads on kijiji and craigslist, or see if people posted ads and just take a trip to wherever they want stuff delivered).

Zigali

Reaction score
You travel all over the USA and you live in the van for 4-8 weeks at a time (he said you put a bunk inside the van) then you can take time off if u want. I will post after I find out for sure if I get it. I believe as long as you don’t have more then like 2 wrecks and don’t have any dui or a bunch of speeding tickets u should be able to qualify but I will update cause I have two wrecks but they wasn’t really my fault.

Reactions: roughdraft

Zigali

Reaction score
Thats interesting. I like the idea of doing something like that while travelling to earn some bucks. Let us know how it works out. I think i will do more under the table type stuff though (post ads on kijiji and craigslist, or see if people posted ads and just take a trip to wherever they want stuff delivered).
If you have your own van you can be an owner operator and just take jobs from the issuing companies directly that’s my plan do this until I save enough for my own van then be an owner operator

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
You are looking at a job as an expediter; a courier driver. You will be on call 24 hours a day, every day, for months. Your bed will be on a cot in the cargo area, winter times are dicey for warmth, summers, the obverse. You will drive hard for a bit, sometimes be idle (no pay) or have to deadhead to freight.

There is money there if you have stamina.

You should investigate expediter freight. Here is a site:

.https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/a-blair-enterprises.66201/page-2

I drove big trucks for years, no expediting. It is a different life in the transport business.

I am able to easily sleep days, drive nights. Drive days? Hang on, give me a nap and I'll be fine. No timetable. That is driving life. You will not be able to get fucked up , no booze, smoke, etc. Must be ready at all times or be axed. They do check your pee. Overall, you are constantly watched.

Zigali

Reaction score
Believe me I’ve done my homework I’m not taking this lightly. I’ve scoured the internet and I called a couple friends of mine one of whom has been doing it for over 30 years. I don’t drink or smoke anyway. I sleep like 3 hrs a day at random times. I currently have no life no friends no nothing I sit in one room 24 hours a day and very seldom go anywhere. I’ve lived in vehicles before it’s no big deal. I haven’t had a time table or a life in so long I forgot what one is. I appreciate the link I had already found it a few days ago.

Reactions: happythoughts123

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
Ahh, good show, you're not ignorant of expediter reality. I just wanted to give you feedback on what to somewhat expect. This could be a good match for you.

There will be highs and lows, therefore, the stamina needed. Keep the left door closed, wheels turning and drive on. It is a hard life, the dropout rate is high. However, you sound like a possible good fit in the system.

Keep posting on your experiences doing expediting if you land the work. I think a lot of others are interested in the outcome.

Reactions: AjfrmAtlanta

Zigali

Reaction score
Well as it turns out I asked some friends of mine that have been doing this for 30+ years and they said doint take that job thru that particular company they would screw me over based on the details so I am currently applying to other companies in order to find one that is offering a decent opportunity. It seems that company was paying too little (.45cpm) and requiring me to pay for fuel and a very expensive lease and an escrow that is 4 times the normal along with a half dozen other things which at the end of the day would leave me making almost $0 but there are other companies out there who are a lot better.

Reactions: Dmac

Zigali

Reaction score
Got another way better offer guy is offering 70/30 split 70 to me 30 to him and none of the other bull from the last offer. I told him I will take it we just gotta wait for my background check to clear. When it does I have to head up to Toledo OH for orientation and to pick up the van and get started. I’ll be a driver for an owner operator this time so it gets rid of all the drama from a fleet like having to pay for a lease and all that crap all I gotta pay is fuel, tolls and my workman’s comp ins which is offered thru the company for $35/Wk I’m figuring to average about $5-600 a wk after fuel he said 6-700 but ppl always embellish so I took it down a bit. Hopefully I’ll be heading up there in the next week or two I’ve been registered as living in several counties and a couple states so my background usually takes a bit lol

Reactions: marmar

Lilly

Reaction score
Reading just the head line of your post I was like 'Got a Job Travelling in a Van'... Sounded kind of fishy at first like what kind of prostitution ring is this person frolicking into :) haha tho now that I've read the post, it sounds pretty cool

Be safe anyway though

Reactions: Ezra Fyre

Zigali

Reaction score
there’s has been a few hiccups but now I am actually leaving on Sunday July 8th for Toledo I have my van keys already and have completed all my online paperwork and setup my orientation. I will probably get a bus ticket if no one answers my seeking ride post soon, probably today. The price gets higher if I wait much longer, I know I shoulda posted earlier but I didn’t know when I was leaving for sure and now I do.

Reactions: AjfrmAtlanta

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads