form a squat/commune on abandoned farm in CA, Napa?

Reaction score
Website
www.organsinmain.tumblr.com
I know of an abandoned farmland secluded in the northern bay area woods of California in Napa County. There is an abandoned house on the land as well as a deteriorating barn building. I've researched the property and it seems that the property has been untouched for a while now. I am thinking about forming a farm commune there and using crowdfunding to have some seed money to get the projected kickstarted. However, more important than land or money is the people part. I think the more minds/hands collectively working on the project, the farther it can go and the more it can accomplish. Anyone interested should reply on this thread or I can be contacted at johnmhli@berkeley.edu or 916 623 5512. I am really excited about turning this thing from just thoughts in my head to a reality.

A little about me:
- lived and worked at the Berkeley Student Housing Cooperatives while an undergraduate at UC Berkeley (2008-2011)
- studied sociology (BA) and psychology (BA) at uc berkeley with focus in Marxist social theory, anarcho-communism, social movements, terrorism, and existentialism
- studied sociology for MA at the university of chicago with focus in post-psychology, critical psychology, and neurodiversity
- volunteer at sacramento food not bombs

dprogram

Reaction score
That sounds like a blast! I know nothing of CA real estate law and how it applies to squatting but I'm sure you can get creative. I used to be a real estate agent (dealing primarily with bank owned properties) and don't mind throwing advice your way. Good luck!

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
John, Hi..
Just left you a message.

like i said there, i have some experience in communal farming, mostly being a hardworking son of a fuck, a general gearhead, have a pretty good fucking toolset, & am often enough a working professional that i can throw down cash towards critical issues.

in ND at the moment, working.

i dunno how familiar you are with property law, but "abandonment" is a pretty technical term and does not hold the same context as "unused".

if this property is truly abandoned.. is unused, arrears on taxes, or otherwise available to acquire than via "adverse possession", let me know.
If you are unsure, contact me anyways, because i am cursed with the white man's profession of "surveyor", and can probably dig some fucking dirt regarding the best venue to proceed for acquiring title, unless you already have folks on board who are versed in that sort of research.

also, as i mentioned, i have hard fucking cash in hand, and i will fucking throw it at this, if it looks like a real start.

i will *keep* fucking throwing it at it...

as it stands, you need to drop some details.. what make you think it is *abandoned*, results of tax roll searches, amount in arrears, auction results, owner identity, foreclosures or other liens, etc.

obstacles along these lines don't prevent gaining title, but knowing they are there helps with informed decisions.

the last thing you want is the fucking sherrif on the doorstep 5 years down the road.

it happens.

if you have something really good, or that you *think* is really good, let me know.
i can either do some of the front work, or point you where to go, so that you find out where some critical items stand, if you haven't do so, already.

Best regards, man,
& good fucking luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads