Ford E250 rough idle/stalling issue - FIXED

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
1997 Ford E250 5.4 Triton V8, 130,000 miles

Hey all, van has been having issues recently, rough idle, stalling, obvious air/fuel mixture issues.

I was getting codes for 'too lean', '02 sensor switch', '02 sensor connection'.

After spending WAY too much money on new 02 sensors, and generally freaking the fuck out about what I was going to do, I started hearing obvious sounds of a vacuum leak (hissing, high pitched sounds) near the interior firewall.

I did a quick search on YT and found this video:

Appearently this is a VERY common issue with these engines.

If you pull you interior firewall access panel, look dead center at the top of the engine, and there should be a vacuum hose with a 90 degree connector going into the engine block, check to see if there is a hole/gap in that connector. I found the issue right away, and solved the problem immediately. ~$10 fix, just buy a new connector.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Quick little tip on the topic of vacuum leaks. If you ever suspect you might have a vacuum leak, you can take a can of carburetor cleaner, starter fluid or even WD40 and spray it near the vacuum hoses in question. The engine will rev up pretty dramatically if there's a leak there. Don't get crazy with it, just a quick little mist will do.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads