food when riding (1 Viewer)

texastraveler

Rambler
what are yalls favorite staples when riding? i'm vegetarian and plan on oats, beans, pb, and tortillas greatly supplemented by dumpstering, but could use some advice on easy staples for a long tour

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

croc

Wise Sage
I often travel with hard boiled eggs (having a stove makes this cheaper so u can make em urself) and produce like tomatoes, spinach, onion, steak some mayo packets n make wraps w those. Also fruit, esp bananas, orange, apples. I know it's not the most practical to have fragile food but imo it's worth the risk of them exploding bc if ur careful they prob won't unless ur pack gets thrown. Now that I have a dog, I don't typically get off on the fly n usually am able to set my pack down, pass it to a road dog, or get off with it still on.
Idk worth it bc healthy food just makes u feel better.

In a more practical answer, granola n granola bars, pretzels to dip in pb, trail mix, raisins, oatmeal, canned beans n veggies, etc

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
I am not veggie trained, nor do I eat alot of red meat...at all.. chix an fish yes. But hard to find via road minus the cans in citys. Pack wise I try to carry alot of noodles and seasoning packets. An fruit as mentioned especially bananas, shit is cheap and easy to 'graze' at Walmart's krogers....etc...and beans....I do love beans

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
Not a vegetarian/vegan. I like to bring jerky, but otherwise cashews, dank bread & peanut butter, dried fruits. If it can't take a little abuse, I'm not eating it.

croc

Wise Sage
Oh whoa, I'm realizing now I read "riding" and assumed trains lmao
I now see this is in the bike touring section... Hope u ain't chuckin a pack off ur bike or gettin off of it on the fly

OP
texastraveler

texastraveler

Rambler
Oh whoa, I'm realizing now I read "riding" and assumed trains lmao
I now see this is in the bike touring section... Hope u ain't chuckin a pack off ur bike or gettin off of it on the fly
haha i wish, i wanted to try riding freight with it but it's a bit too fragile

Timothy Englert

Wayfarer
Website
tenglert.com
GORP!!... is a good biking food [good 'ol raisins and peanuts.]
A standard with bikers and hikers. It's cheap and can be bought anywhere. The taste never gets bland, is high density and good fiber to keep you regular. I put it in freezer bags so as you supply dimishes, you get more valuable room in your packs. I prefer salty dry roasted peanuts to avoid blandness. Some bikers eat peanut butter right out of a jar but that is too suffocating for me.

Makanico

Lurker
Website
www.paulfrancisirving.com
The last bicycle your I did was in the UK it was cut short in London when my bike was stolen. I Usually do a variety of dried fruits nuts and any good fresh greens and I have on board 3 liters of water and a lifestraw. I havent done any dumpstering while on the road yet. As I process most stuff I dumpster from my workshop (clean and then distribute to people I know need it). Dips and rice crakers are good also some firm cheese can last a few days providing it doesn't get to hot.

OP
texastraveler

texastraveler

Rambler
yeah i got some de
GORP!!... is a good biking food [good 'ol raisins and peanuts.]
A standard with bikers and hikers. It's cheap and can be bought anywhere. The taste never gets bland, is high density and good fiber to keep you regular. I put it in freezer bags so as you supply dimishes, you get more valuable room in your packs. I prefer salty dry roasted peanuts to avoid blandness. Some bikers eat peanut butter right out of a jar but that is too suffocating for me.
got some dried apricot and PB, i feel like it'll last me a while. the freezer bag is a goos idea i'll try it thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.