News & Blogs florida homeless

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
:( I don't have fun with redirects.

Went here - for no blankets

A portion of the stuff - and quite sad too.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/f...-illegal-homeless-use-blankets/#axzz2smallLbk

Living in Florida, we don’t often have the opportunity to use the heat setting on our thermostat, but this winter we got the chance in a big way. And as a matter of fact, so many people in my neighborhood were using heaters that it blew out the transformer.

So there I was with my wife and three kids, all of us huddled under blankets with the fireplace roaring, watching the temperature continue to drop from a comfortable 65 degrees down to 45. But outside it was 17 degrees and raining and sleeting, and if you were homeless, you had to consider that if you used a blanket to shield yourself from the elements, that you might be hauled off to jail for a violation of a local ordinance prohibiting using blankets, cardboard, or newspaper to cover yourself.

This was part of a series of ordinances which prohibited using public restrooms for washing your face, panhandling, and “camping”. Though the mayor’s office and members of the city council tried to say that these ordinances were not targeted at the homeless, email correspondence between them and other city officials proved otherwise.

https://www.google.com/search?q=op-...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

D

Deleted member 20

This seems to be only in the city of Sarasota, Florida. Not the entire state. The ordinance says that the cops can give a once a year warning & provide a ride to a shelter if the person isn't intoxicated on drugs/alcohol & has the appropriate id. Fuck that. Choosing to be homeless doesn't mean you legally have to live in a shelter. I would get a blanket every winter for my 3 hots & a cot inside a warm jail until spring. Most homebums could care less.

I don't think this is fair or even constitutional, nor will it last. Since all of the news reports just say Florida; I looked it up myself to see if it affects the whole state.

What scares me with such ordinances are when they are used to punish travelers just passing thru. I don't usually set fires, cook or sleep/camp where I can get bothered by cops or anyone else but this says just having personal items can warrant arrest.

"One or more of the following five features must be observed in order to make an arrest: “numerous items of personal belongings are present; the person is engaged in cooking activities, the person has built or is maintaining a fire, the person has engaged in digging or earth-breaking activities, or the person is asleep and when awakened states that he or she has no other place to live.”

Homebums aren't exactly stealthy ninjas, nor do they care where/when they lay out their bedrolls(benches, doorways, during the day. I rarely see them cook or eat but & they always have a shopping cart full of stuff. But even if someone is traveling thru town, camped like a stealthy ninja & not caught; theoretically you could get run out of town or arrested just for having a pack & bedroll.

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/publications/crimreport/meanestcities.html

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This seems to be only in the city of Sarasota, Florida. Not the entire state. The ordinance says that the cops can give a once a year warning & provide a ride to a shelter if the person isn't intoxicated on drugs/alcohol & has the appropriate id. Fuck that. Choosing to be homeless doesn't mean you legally have to live in a shelter. I would get a blanket every winter for my 3 hots & a cot inside a warm jail until spring. Most homebums could care less.

I don't think this is fair or even constitutional, nor will it last. Since all of the news reports just say Florida; I looked it up myself to see if it affects the whole state.

What scares me with such ordinances are when they are used to punish travelers just passing thru. I don't usually set fires, cook or sleep/camp where I can get bothered by cops or anyone else but this says just having personal items can warrant arrest.

"One or more of the following five features must be observed in order to make an arrest: “numerous items of personal belongings are present; the person is engaged in cooking activities, the person has built or is maintaining a fire, the person has engaged in digging or earth-breaking activities, or the person is asleep and when awakened states that he or she has no other place to live.”

Homebums aren't exactly stealthy ninjas, nor do they care where/when they lay out their bedrolls(benches, doorways, during the day. I rarely see them cook or eat but & they always have a shopping cart full of stuff. But even if someone is traveling thru town, camped like a stealthy ninja & not caught; theoretically you could get run out of town or arrested just for having a pack & bedroll.

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/publications/crimreport/ meanestcities.html

One of my friends actually did get arrested for just having her shit in flordia... She was walking hehind some bushes and they kinda new she was setting up or plannjng on.it

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads