Deleted member 15688

DSCN3246.JPG
fire pictures (14).jpg
fire pictures (18).jpg
fire pictures (14).jpg
fire pictures (18).jpg
fire pictures (57).jpg

Tomahawk flint and steel set

Flint and steel fire making is another excellent way to get a fire going without matches or lighter.

My set consists of s colonial period replica striker ( made from a pitchfork tine), char cloth made from cotton belts and canvas, Utah flint, petrified wood, an extra striker made from an old file.

There is also a small tinder bundle of cottonwood cambium. The tin is a candy container I got at a department store in Singapore.

I first put this set together back in the early 80's and use to carry it but as my experience in the outdoors grew I learned about alternate strikers, char, tinder ,etc.

Lately if I use F&S to start a fire it is my "Old timer" pocket knife or the back of “Old Butch” that is the striker and any piece of flint, quarts, chert, or pyrite I happen to find. The char is usually from an old fire pit. I once started a fire in Utah using a horse shoe, a piece of flint and charred blue jeans i found in an old fire pit.

The stone is more important than the steel in F&S fire making, I have made sparks using flint on my hatchet head, on pyrite ,my old green river knife, and have seen locals in Indonesia strike a spark with quarts and green bamboo - yup, green bamboo. You can also make a decent F&S set from a small piece of broken hack saw blade and some steel wool.

• Useful
Reactions: todd

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads