Video Flash Flooding in the Southwest 3/2020

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This rain event in the southwest US right now is pretty incredible. I am cautioning anyone out there camping near water drainages to take caution, this is going to get alot worse.

Always remember to scout your spot before you go to sleep, what looks like a dry wash now, could be under feet of water in an instant.

I just had to vacate a campsite that was 4 feet above water line, on a usually dry creek that hit flood stage. I could tell my camp would be under water by morning.

Look for the high water line, usually debris that looks like small pieces of leaves/twigs stuck in vegetation, or on the surface above the creek bed. It will usually tell you how high the water CAN get in that area:

20200311_180819.jpg

That is the view from my campsite, and the high water level from the night before. That is usually a dry creek bed, that is now at 4000 Cubic Feet per Second flow. That is 20x the regular flow of the largest river we have in this area.

We are expected to get much more rainfall (inches) in the next few days. Be safe out there!

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
swift water rescue is like 10,000.00 dollars here in Tucson, we have a stupid motorist law ( its actually called that). just don't drive through flooded washes. I haven't heard of anyone camping in them getting washed away but I could happen. saturated topsoil and a few showers up stream and boom the ( wash, arroyo or riverbed) is a 6ft wall of water. even if its not raining in your area, upstream is the danger, this is no joke. good looking out @Coywolf

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So as I said, this has become more serious. I went out for work today to asses flooding conditions, and was not disappointed in what I found.

The Verde River here in AZ has hit 10,000 Cubic Feet per Second. That is...let me do the math here...50x times is normal flow. I saw lawn chairs, trash cans, and other debris from flooded properties flowing downstream.

This wont be over for 2 more days. And there is another rain event next week hitting the southwest. Be careful out there.

I'm curious to hear what's going on the Slabs, honestly. This same storm hit Southern Cali harder than it hit here.

• Useful
Reactions: roughdraft

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
Its been crazy around here. Yesterday I had to tell a camper van couple that should move out of the wash before the big storm hit us.
I'm in Globe, AZ for the time. we were under flash floods watch yesterday and today. With the already saturated soils the runoff is immediate when a storm hits. The washes are running like Rivers and the clay roads are nearly impassable.

I'm doing the wild West bikepacking route but the rain and snows up north have put a hold on that. I was going to do the fools loop route to kill time but it requires a ford crossing of the verde so looks like that plan is out too.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm curious to hear what's going on the Slabs, honestly. This same storm hit Southern Cali harder than it hit here.
Oh no rain or mud here at all, totally didn't have to drive through a 2 foot deep wash, totally don't have mud literally on the top of my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_064641.jpg
    IMG_20200314_064641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20200314_064625.jpg
    IMG_20200314_064625.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20200314_065430.jpg
    IMG_20200314_065430.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 245

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads