Fixing to take off this Summer

JChooch

Reaction score
Whatup STP? I've been lurking around here for about a day.

My story starts with watching various YouTube channels. First Brave Dave hopping Canada came up on my suggested list almost a year ago, which led me to Stobe, Shoestring, Stu, and then finally Brian Cray whose website led me here.

I remember a time in school, must have been kindergarten or first grade we were having a discussion about our futures. Teach said something along the lines of "you don't want to grow up to live in a cardboard box.." and I interjected that that would be fine. Everyone laughed and I was the center of attention for a minute. Didn't really elaborate, I was barely six, but that feeling has stuck with me and I've long since figured out why. It's the feeling of freedom, of waking up and knowing i can get anywhere these feet can take me.
I want to explore the world.

My dad told me once that he started working when he was fourteen and never stopped. Few years ago he died, at 58, stressed the fuck out working 60+ hour weeks, smoking bales of weed to cope with his regrets, had a heart attack in his sleep.

He told endless stories from his twenties; drove a car with no brakes all the way down the east coast, worked oil rigs in TX, hitchhiked from there to LA just to come back to shit old Connecticut and grind for another almost 40 years because that's where the family was. Luckily (?) I don't have that same holdup.

I'm currently living in my 2000 Jetta 2.0L, needs a coolant pump and radiator before i can go more than a few miles without a break but for now that's not a problem. I've got to say if you're passing through the area of Windsor CT, the local cops are awesome and very helpful, and there's lots of places to score some free food as long as you look somewhat presentable. Easy enough for me, there's family in the area so I can have the occasional free hose-down.

The plan is to do some work for a few moths, fix the Jet up a bit, fix myself a better sleeping arrangement than the front seat tilted all the way back, and take off for a fall "tour" with no planned end. Long term dream, I want a seafaring boat and a few friends to share the adventure with, but for now I want to explore the continent I'm native to, meeting as many like minded people along the way as possible, by any means possible.

A/V production has always been a hobby of mine, and I have a couple half decent, aging cameras so plan to start a channel and document my journey.

Anyways thanks for reading, hope your week's alright!

~~J

Reactions: Lob and NewbieTramp

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads