First time... want to hitch from the Midwest to West coast

Fishkiss

Reaction score
There's always dangers out there.weirdos that mite wana pick you up,trying to find a place to sleep and the weather.not to mention people out on the road usually don't have much and can't act on despiration at any time..it helps to be a good judge of character and don't go anywhere or with anyone your not comfortable with.on the other hand it can be amazing when its going good.either way you will have an intresting story

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
its not nearly as bad as your family most likely thinks it is. if youre nervous, go with a frien for your first time. trust your gut and have common sense and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Dolphin

bardamu

Reaction score
Agreed. Hitching is like walking through a crap part of town late at night, you should keep your wits about you but its sure as hell not a death sentence. If your nervous try standing at by a road and take a look at each car going past, get a clear idea of who you'd take a ride from and who you wouldn't.
it's really no more dangerous than most worthwhile things.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i've hitched all over the country and only ran into a few sketchy situations....mostly drunk as fuck drivers and people on meth/crack/etc......
you'll be fine dude...get out there and stick out your thumb......things will fall into place from there... check out this thread to get an idea of what to bring and all http://www.squattheplanet.com/threads/what-to-pack.388/
what's cool is that a good percentage of people who pick you up, have done it themselves........
dont know if you know about www.digihitch.com or not...it's like the dorkier/no cuss word/family freindly version of STP....but it's a pretty good site to check out....shittons of info on there that will answer most of your questions

or maybe STP is the dirtier/drunker/government hating/dregs of society version of digihitch

Reactions: JakieMadness

The Wanderer

Reaction score
i've hitched all over the country and only ran into a few sketchy situations....mostly drunk as fuck drivers and people on meth/crack/etc......
you'll be fine dude...get out there and stick out your thumb......things will fall into place from there... check out this thread to get an idea of what to bring and all http://www.squattheplanet.com/threads/what-to-pack.388/
what's cool is that a good percentage of people who pick you up, have done it themselves........

I know, I told my mom that hitchhiking lets you meet interesting ppl but she still didn't believe me hehe

Reaction score
don't listen to people who try and tame you with fear. the world is only as dangerous as you are stupid -- if you want to hitchhike you have to stop thinking about it and start a'walking! Keep your wits about you and you're literally free to go anywhere in the world you please!!!
You'll know if someone is sketchy or if they're genuine. And keep a knife on you ;)

iscream

Reaction score
the worst thing that could happen if you take a boomstick or zipstick . the driver drops you off with a nice size hole in their head.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Lol i never had a bad experience while hitching the east coast.I made it from FL to PA in 5 days.Traveling that way is so much easier on your body and mind compared to dealing with the crap at yards.Plus being solo you would get picked up really quick.

Just get out there and fly a sign with your destination or stick your thumb out.JUST GET OUT THERE AND DO IT! =D

I just figure hitching is rather dull and boring for me.Sooo i break off and try both when i get burned out with the other.Always something new.

Still i am left here wondering if i should make a run for Colorado before the real winter sets in.Or wait till winter pass's then just go for the west coast and terrorize that coast for 6 months.Dunno everything is up in the air.

NMNM

Reaction score
im from evansville. i hitch in and out of here all the time. without ever having a problem. i love to hitch in the midwest. i like to stick to the state roads as opposed to the interstates. a lot better sleeping spots and people are stoked you to see you out there. plus youre dealing with locals and not the weirdo whos going from denver to new york to live with his mom, or whatever. anyway i love it. cant help it. im always down to take a hitch trip. hit me up if youd like.

travelin

Reaction score
one night around a roaring pine knot fire a group of us decided that any place in north america is totally safe to hitchike...

except indianapolis.

you name it, its around there, tweakers, zombies with killer tomatos, bad cops, grey aliens, men in black, stealth leprechauns, starfleet academy hooligans, just everything that can be imagined.

so anywhere in this country, hell, this whole continent, you would be good to go for hitching out except where you are.

[the preceding was humor]

seriously, do what you want, what you want. make your decision, gather up some decent gear and head out.

meathook

Reaction score
im from evansville. i hitch in and out of here all the time. without ever having a problem. i love to hitch in the midwest. i like to stick to the state roads as opposed to the interstates. a lot better sleeping spots and people are stoked you to see you out there. plus youre dealing with locals and not the weirdo whos going from denver to new york to live with his mom, or whatever. anyway i love it. cant help it. im always down to take a hitch trip. hit me up if youd like.
oh god you're from evansville. i was just stuck there for like a week. kind of a strange place.

NMNM

Reaction score
oh god you're from evansville. i was just stuck there for like a week. kind of a strange place.

well, i use the term 'from' loosely. i live here. and yes! this is a very strange place. i cant even tell you how refreshing it is to hear someone else say it for once. everyone tells me im crazy. too bad i didnt know you were here though.

meathook

Reaction score
well, i use the term 'from' loosely. i live here. and yes! this is a very strange place. i cant even tell you how refreshing it is to hear someone else say it for once. everyone tells me im crazy. too bad i didnt know you were here though.
yeah i hopped in, kicked it for a week or so, and hopped out again. probably around mid july? actually, that town just kind of blows ass haha. you've got some good squats though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads