First-time traveler | Squat the Planet

First-time traveler

TrinaMcBride

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Trinity, and I'm excited to be a part of this forum.

I've joined to connect with experienced vagabonds and travelers so that I may learn some things I didn't know, and get to know interesting people. I have never hitchhiked or train-hopped before, and have only traveled a bit as a child to tourist attractions. I'm looking to branch out and experience more of life.

I'm looking forward to speaking with many of you! Thank you.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

todd

Reaction score
welcome and good luck in your adventures. New Hampshire is a beautiful place ive spent time around north Conway and further south along the ma border.
Theres a wealth of info here to prep you, what kind of travelling are you wanting to do?

TrinaMcBride

Reaction score
welcome and good luck in your adventures. New Hampshire is a beautiful place ive spent time around north Conway and further south along the ma border.
Theres a wealth of info here to prep you, what kind of travelling are you wanting to do?

I am currently planning a trip to Louisiana in the summer. I would like to try hitchhiking, although I am a bit nervous.

todd

Reaction score
start out small.. hitch around the area/ county your in. then work up to it. that will be an amazing adventure for you! good luck and keep us posted

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Welcome to StP. One tip as you get into hitching......it is always ok to turn down a ride. I have turned down rides by drivers who pulled over for me on more than one occasion. Its better to be safe and late then in a bad ride.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Your cute. Get a knife, carry it always,know how to use it. Don't get drunk around people you don't know. Be safe and have fun.

Personally, I don't think "you're cute" is a good way to start this post.
What you look like or what gender you identify with or are identified as doesn't matter.
The danger is generally the same.
You'll be fine, keep you're wits about you and be smart. Hitching is pretty fucking safe.
Welcome to STP! Hope to see you up the road or down the line. Good luck and be spontaneous! I'm sure the road will treat you great

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
What you look like or what gender you identify with or are identified as doesn't matter.
You'll be fine, keep you're wits about you and be smart. Hitching is pretty fucking safe.

I would agree that hitching is fairly safe, however I would not agree that gender or how you look doesn't matter. Here in Canada is a long stretch of highway where several women, mainly of first nations heritage have been murdered or gone missing. It is known around the world as the highway of tears.

Enjoy hitching, it is not much more dangerous then other modes of transport as long as you stay smart and safe.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
I see what you're saying but at the same time there have been many serial killers that picked up male hitchers.
I've also heard a lot more stories of men getting robbed or hurt while hitching. In my humble experience and opinion I really don't see at least much of an increase in risk for lady hikers.
I especially thought the "you're cute" comment was dumb though. The predators I've run across on the road really didn't care how "attractive" one was.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to STP! Hope to see you up the road or down the line. Good luck and be spontaneous! I'm sure the road will treat you great

I am super cute and get harassed all the time. Guess the ugly people can't relate. My last hitch, the guy tried to give me head, tried to pay me for it. Made a lot of weird comments about people wanting to attack hitch hikers. Made me wish I had one on me. I got like 6 knives but I don't carry because of police harassment. They are all called tools and stored in my bag.

Last edited:
A

AlwaysLost

Your cute. Get a knife, carry it always,know how to use it. Don't get drunk around people you don't know. Be safe and have fun.

I will give you the first lesson of knife fighting. If you decide to pull it use it. The knife that is used to intimidate is the knife that kills you.

Your mind is your most important self defense tool. Keep it sharp and avoid sketchy ppl and situations.

Last edited:

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Completely agree! This is why I don't worry about carrying a knife. If someone pulls a weapon, that weapon often becomes mine.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score

I will give you the first lesson of knife fighting. If you decide to pull it use it. The knife that is used to intimidate is the knife that kills you.

Your mind is your most important self defense tool. Keep it sharp and avoid sketchy ppl and situations.

Couldn't agree more with this. You should only pull a weapon you're about to use immediately

D

Deleted member 125

welcome to stp. check out the featured forums for some good info for first timers.

lets please not derail this intro thread into whether or not to carry a weapon debate.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
First off, everyone needs to get off this thread and start a new topic for discussing these things.

Second, the above posts about knife fighting is FUCKING TERRIBLE advice. Simply brandishing a knife is enough to make any attacker think twice, and I'm getting REALLY sick of seeing the 'they'll take it from you and use it against you' argument pop up in traveler culture. THIS IS BULLSHIT and has never been proven, ever. Stop telling women to not carry knives.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads