First time cross country

Mickie

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm Mickie. I'm traveling from Phoenix, AZ to Boston, MA in February, and this is my first time going cross country on foot. So I was hoping to get some insight on the subject. Any helpful advice would be gratefully appreciated. If anyone's looking for a road dog, someone who'd be willing to show me the ropes would be very helpful too.

jojoofu

Reaction score
Gear , gear , gear. If you're going on that long of a trip get gear. Relying on wits and human compassion will only take you so far. What gear do you have ?

Mickie

Reaction score
None yet but I have a long list I'm working on. I'm pretty much covered on that front just more concerned on what areas to avoid, eating situations, and weather.

jojoofu

Reaction score
None yet but I have a long list I'm working on. I'm pretty much covered on that front just more concerned on what areas to avoid, eating situations, and weather.

That depends on who you are and what you like. Personally I hate big cities because of the crime. However some people love the big city. The only places I would put as an absolute no are Detroit MI and Atlanta GA.

If you have a phone you can check the weather pretty easily on google. You can also use google maps to scout out wooded areas for camping. Just beware the maps aren't always up to date.

Eating won't be an issue if you stick the big cities. You can find tons of soup kitchens and social services. Off the beaten path is a different story. You may want to pack a fishing pole.

Ultimately it depends on the type of journey you want to take.

• Useful
Reactions: Coywolf
Reaction score
Not sure Jojoofu why avoid Detroit-- Detroit has a huge underground hobo/squatting scene. I've met tons of hitch hikers come through Detroit because its super eclectic, cheap, and most importantly ungentrified. Definitely the weather is shitty now (why I am in Guatemala for the winter as we speak) so I'd recommend Detroit as the #1 place for this lifestyle in the warm season.. but if you can put up with the gray sky and lurky cold it's more welcoming to 'road dogs' just be careful as you would anywhere else

Pikey Pete

Reaction score
Stay away from Mattipan, Roxbury, Dorchester, most of Easty, Def stay away from the shelter on mass Ave. Everyone will try to beat you or out wit you to steal from you but they're just a bunch of dumbasses. Idk why you're going to beantown in the winter but good luck

Mickie

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm sticking close to the border, I'll be no where near Detroit anyways. As for Massachusetts I'm from Springfield, and did a lot of growing up in Boston. I'm pretty familiar with the area plus I'm not leaving Phoenix till atleast February so I won't have too much winter to deal with. The areas I'm more curious about are like Florida, New Jersey, or anywhere else I might be hitting going up the coast.

Mickie

Reaction score
well I won't be leaving till February or march not really in a hurry ether. Ive been homeless in New Hampshire I know how brutal it is and there's no way Im getting my self stuck in that. So really it should be straight.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads