First Post: Escape from Eureka | Squat the Planet

First Post: Escape from Eureka

Chokechain

Reaction score
Hello stp ::cat::
Stumbled upon this community while reading up on trainhopping, something I’ve been wanting to try for a while now.
I was homeless for about 4 years and now that I’m living in an apartment in Eureka again, I’m getting that stuck, anxious feeling once more. I’m depressed, addicted to heroin, and in desperate need of a change.
Nobody has replied to my craigslist ad for a rideshare down to Oakland (trying to make it to a Gary Wilson show on Saturday) and I’m wondering if I should try my luck hitchhiking, something I’ve never done.
Hoping to meet someone in Humbodlt who has some tips on making it down to the bay, and might want to join me.
All advice welcome. I’m clueless ::dummy::

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hitching the I-5 isn't super hard, but the 101 is ten times prettier and waaaay easy to hitch. honestly, if you just head out there and stick your thumb out you'll be in the bay in no time. just camp in the woods or beach along the way down and you'll be fine :)

D

Deleted member 21429

If you do end up Hitchin' and your first ride is a good experience, you'll wonder why you had not done so all this time. Hitch-hiking is great. ~ peace and best of luck to ya

AAAutin

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I had a hard time hitching south out of Eureka; I ended up taking a city bus down to Rio Dell and hitched out of there instead.

Something to consider if you get frustrated!

Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Step one: Get the fuck out of Eureka. That is not going to help ANYONE being in that town. Seriously.

Step two: hit up the ride board/road dawg section on here. The amount of people in Humboldt right now is.....well....a but ridiculous. My point being, you will probably find someone to show you the ropes pretty easily.

Step three: make sure you hitch from the absolute south END of town. Dont go to fortuna. Hard as fuck to get a ride out there.

Step four: enjoy yourself. That is one of the easiest, most beautiful hitches in the country.

Good luck with the addiction, I dont know personally, but have seen so many people try to kick it. Including my Dad. Best of luck, and safe travels.

Seriously. Get the fuck out of, and stay away from eureka. I would honestly just leave Humboldt all together. Especially if you want to try and kick that habit/depression. Just more people up there that will propagate it, IMO

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh ya. Garberville. Just remember Garberville as a last resort hitch spot.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads