Fireweed Universe-City

REDRUM

Reaction score
http://fireweeduniversecity.org/

WHAT? Fireweed Universe-City is a grassroots, not-for-profit movement to transform a devastated, burned-out Detroit city neighborhood into a sustainable, eco-friendly, intentional community that will be the grounds for urban farming, residential and creative space for artists, healers, musicians, and like-minded, forward-thinking, progressive individuals, families, small businesses, and the surrounding community already in place.
WHO? Fireweed Universe-City stems out of Innate Healing Arts Center and is inspired by and for local artists, musicians, and healers, however, we are open and accepting of all people, regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. Collectively, we agree that we must have respect for each other, and, respect for our planet.
WHERE? We are working on the area just South of 7 Mile and Woodward, across from Palmer Park, in Detroit, Michigan.
WHY? We can no longer turn our backs on our own neighborhoods. All across Detroit, it’s the same story; abandoned house after abandoned house, children at high risk for street involvement and drug use, high crime and violence. We have been named “The Murder Capital of America” one too many times, and we realize that it is time to step up and do something about it, time to unite ourselves and focus on the solution, so that Detroit may rise again into the beautiful city we co-create it to be.
HOW? Fireweed Universe-City will work one day at a time, coming together one by one to lift the 7&Woodward community out of poverty, into sustained abundance. We will work from the heart, because we love what we are doing and we are passionate doing it. We recognize the diversity amongst us, and we will each use our own unique talents, strengths and connections to create something much larger than any of us could individually.
WHEN? There’s no time like the present!

detroit-pile-199x300.jpg
detroit-water-off-300x199.jpg
detroit-living-room-199x300.jpg

detroit-pile-199x300.jpg

Reactions: ElectroGypsy

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
...Wow. Something like this has been my vision, around my 'hood, for a while now (I live in Muskegon Hts, MI), but not to THIS extent. D-Town has a crazy, amazing potential; the ONLY way is through the hands of the People. Ultimately, won't be a sustainable place; there will be general food riots, breakdown in economic/financial currency, fukkked up weather - but perhaps... it'll all be glorious; they'd have to be @ least 300 miles away from a major (1,000 ppl) town to be str8[er]. ANYWAYS. Sorry, I've been on Apocalyptic-Mode for... a minute now, and it gets stronger alll the time; must be that Mercury in retrograde shite. :)

At any rate... wow. I'm gonna do some (hopefully... a lot) of traveling towards mid-August, so.. that shall be dope. Will definitely hit that shit up, man. Thanx. You there?

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My question is,when did this start,and how many winters have you guys gone thru up there?

Reactions: freeranger

freeranger

Reaction score
would love to hear more. and if anyone has links to any other similar projects on the east coast, i'd love to hear about it.

MarsNoumena

Reaction score
It's been Six Years now that Fireweed has been growing in the Seven Mile area. There are approximately ten houses and a loose affiliation with a squatted multiunit warehouse and apartment building. We have been recognized as a 501c3 and our bike shop has put well over 500 bikes on the road for people who needed transportation.

There are regular community dinners in a park that was created by the neighborhood.

A few STP travelers as well as hundreds of Couchsurfers have stayed with us over the years.

As always, all hands on deck and steady as we grow.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It's been Six Years now that Fireweed has been growing in the Seven Mile area. There are approximately ten houses and a loose affiliation with a squatted multiunit warehouse and apartment building. We have been recognized as a 501c3 and our bike shop has put well over 500 bikes on the road for people who needed transportation.

There are regular community dinners in a park that was created by the neighborhood.

A few STP travelers as well as hundreds of Couchsurfers have stayed with us over the years.

As always, all hands on deck and steady as we grow.
That sounds amazing. I'd love to come by and do a video for our youtube channel at some point. I'm also interested in possibly moving to Detroit and doing something like this so I'll check out the website! Thanks for posting!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Squat the Planet mobile app

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads