Firehose pants recommendation?

sporehead

Reaction score
I"m in the market for some new pants. I found a thread on STP talking about them so I looked into it and found a few pairs. I am having a little trouble figuring out which one to get. My needs are that they be warm in winter but wearable in summer. Mainly they need to block wind for when I'm on a train. With a few layers plus the pants I want to be set.

Here is what I have narrowed down to
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-flex-fire-hose-pants-45507.aspx?kw=FLEX FIRE HOSE WORK PANTS&processor=content
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-pants/92204.aspx?feature=product_1
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fleece-lined-flex-fire-hose-work-pants-62757.aspx

The last one has the fleece so I thought it would be warmest and cut wind the best. The First two would be my first choices since they seem light enough to wear in warmer temps. I am concerned they wont break the wind enough though.

Does anyone own any of these three pairs? If so, what has been your experience? With the brand in general?

P.S. They are having a sale right now.

Joni

Reaction score
ever consider a pair of wind breaker pants? i usually pack a pair of brand name that i got from goodwill for cheap and if i mess them up no big deal go buy another pair for $5. if i am in the cold i have a pair of 60/40 wool/acrylic dress pants that i throw on underneath in addition to may under armour/nylons base layer. a pair of womens nylons are the cheap and utralight way to go for a base layer. those pants look like they weight several pounds. a pair of blue jeans for me can weight in around a pound and a half.

just a turtle most of the time....
hope this helps...
-joni

yoder

Reaction score
If your gonna pay that much
Look into 5.11 tactical pants.....

There wind block, water resistance and tearproof.

Cabelas, dicks sporting goods, gun shops and online sells them for around 50$

sporehead

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Gudj - How well do the break wind? How are they in the heat? How long have you had them?

I have some waterproof goretex that block wind rather nice but they aren't as durable or made for every day use. I'd love to combine the waterproofing with an everyday pant. I already wear two thermals (one underarmor and one cotton henley) underneath my jeans. That is warm indoors but the wind goes right through the jeans. I hadn't considered the synthetics might lend themselves to warmer situations. I completely forgot how much they retain heat.

The Firehose pants are actually pretty light compared to other tough pants on the market. The flex ones are the only ones with a weight rating: 8oz. I imagine the fleece ones will be somewhat heavier.

Yoder - I looked at a few but couldn't find any that reeled me in. They do seem high quality and I love the price tag. Their warranty does not cover regular wear and tear though. I know that may be a lot to ask, but it is pretty important to me and is what attracted me to the Duluth trading company. They will replace any article no questions ask. Is there a specific pant you have experience with?

Reactions: yoder

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads