Finding places to park? (2 Viewers)

Rune

Wayfarer
Website
starberryghost.wixsite.com
During my adventures I noticed that it was infuriatingly difficult to find a place to park.
What are some good, reliable parking spots that wont make me have to worry about my car getting towed or breaking some kind of law?

What Ive gotten so far:
24 hour gyms
Many Walmarts
Maybe hotels
Maybe churches
24 hour Rest Stops
Bars [buy a drink first?]
24 hour gas stations? [ask permission first?]

I camped out at a Krogers for like a week I think and nobody bothered me in any way.
I cant say that theyre all like that though.

Last edited:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
Website
www.instagram.com
Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops! Some of them have dump stations (some for free even!) if you're in a RV. I've also heard that Cracker Barrel restaurants are popular for overnight parking. I'm sloowwlyy debating on well lit bars for parking. The bowling alley I currently frequent has distant parking with decent lighting. Hope those help! :)

Deedledees

Lurker
Since Covid I spend 99% of my time at rest areas, Love's truck stops, and hiking trailheads. But they tend to be outside of town so if you have to do stuff in town often it might not be ideal.

Last edited:

Sameer

Wanderer
I am usually on public land. A lot has to do with the local ordinances. "Sleeping in a vehicle laws". Use freecampsites.net.
When in town I always ask for permission.

Fuzzypeach

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
A van dweller on YouTube, who used to park regularly at a Kroger, was told by the manager that corporate is now banning overnight parking :( Sorry for the bad news. Cracker Barrel is now welcoming overnight parkers.

tanukizooted

Pilgrim
Here are some of my methods:
Locate industrial area on google maps. Houses are tiny, but industrial areas pop out easy on satellite view (basically look for massive buildings, usually white roofs, and they usually take up several blocks so you cant miss them. Then locate areas with semis / vehicles parked on the sides of the street, ignore parking lots. There's a good chance other people sleep there as well but Its usually really quiet in my experience. I try to park next to an empty lot, or a gate or a wall, far as possible from entrances / doors to avoid being oogled by workers in the morning while I sleep (I'm in a car atm. You won't have to work as hard to find the best spot if you're in a van or something obviously.

google maps, search apartments. use satellite view to find apartments with street parking. I try to park near the end or beginning so fewer people will walk by in the AM but that's because I'm quite visible in my car haha.

When I had my van I used to park on residential streets that are lined with vehicles, especially if it looks so crowded that you can tell people park wherever they can as opposed to right in front of their house. You blend in on those crowded residential streets! Use satellite view on google maps, you can usually get an idea of good neighborhoods to try.

In bigger cities many times you can find people living in vehicles just off the highway exits. Not always available and sometimes sketchy af but it's fairly easy to use satellite view on maps and follow the highways and search near exits for clusters of parked cars and RVs.

I also look for parks with street parking via Satellite view which is a bonus because I walk my pup before I leave the next morning.

I love campendium.com but make sure you search " free (your state here)" because they have a ton of free campsites all over the US but not all of them are free. I think Colorado had like 250 free campsites for instance.

I've slept in hospital parking lots or street parking in front of a church in a pinch.

Just a note, if cars are parked roadside on maps satellite view there's a good chance there usually are people parked there so you will blend in.

I hope this helps you. I've gotten pretty good at finding spots through experience and generally not giving af. All they can do is make you leave so dont be afraid to try new things. hope my instructions were clear, I'm a little sleepy. Good luck and safe travels to you, friend.

Last edited:

Sameer

Wanderer
Well here is my standard comment like a broken record..... Public land and BLM land is the best place to park.
Use
freecampsites.net.
There is usually a 14-day limit for camping then you have to move but my experience in Northern Arizona and Flagstaff was that they are not enforcing that rule. Now here in the southern desert of Arizona and Quartzite there is lots of places to camp and Park. Of course public land is not practical for everybody nor is living out in the sticks, meaning small towns. But even towns like Palm springs or Indio are surrounded by public lands. For me during the pandemic I'll avoid the large cities and of course, the shithole State of California. The only places in California I go are the Imperial Valley and The Slabs...

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.