Finding a boat, learning the basics

Sip

Reaction score
Hey Mates!

So, after much soul searching, life reassembling, suicidal thoughts, and internal monolouge, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to give up land travel and take to the seas! I am learning as much as possible, and gathering dollaz with much haste so as to be able to buy a boat before the fall arrives. I'm currently living in my car with my lover, working a job, working odd jobs, scrounging scrap, starting Go-fund-me campains, even spanging to get the funds together for a boat. But before all that, I have a few questions that hopefully a boat veteran will be able to help me with, as I am deadset on getting a boat, living on her, and eventually crossing oceans, though I doubt I'll be doing that on my first boat (one step at a time an all that), wich will probably be a 25' or so.

The cool thing is I'm back in MI, where a lot of older boats for decent prices are for sail. The freshwater is less rough on the hull and the lake calmer than the sea. What I'm unsure of is really how to get started in sailing! How do I learn what things to look for in a boat? Obviously the hull, keel, rigging, sails, mast, and various tanks and wiring have to be in good shape, but what determines this? Most of the boats around here are made of fiberglass. What does one look for with a fiberglass boat? The boat will be occupied by myself, my boyfriend, and our very small dog. As we are deeply in love (Sometimes) small spaces shouldn't be a problem.

Aside from finding a boat, how does one find somewhere to learn to sail? There are lots of books, of course, and safety courses, but where does one go to get actual experience ON a boat? A marina? A club? Is it okay to just find a guy, explain that I'm buying a boat but want to learn first? Just fucking pay someone to let me learn on their boat?

All I want is the freedom of the seas. I'll definitely be starting out small, sailing her in the great lakes and keeping her away from the ocean, but when I go to sea I want to be ready, in a boat I can count on, with a nice tan and the wind in my hair. :p

• Sad
Reactions: VikingAdventurer
K

Kim Chee

I don't have personal experience, but if I couldn't get somebody to show me on their bot I'd try getting them to show me on my boat. Perhaps find somebody who is knowledgeable, willing to help out and show you the ropes on your boat for however long it takes and maybe even travel together for a bit.

Sip

Reaction score
Thanks Michael. For some reason I was tunnel vision focused on learning to sail before I got a boat, for some reason. I guess I wanted to jump on my baby and go. Never actually thought of learning to sail AFTER I got the boat. :p Over eager I guess. Still, if at all possible, I'd like to learn to sail before I got on my own boat. Ideas would be awesome. As well as y'know, learning to identify what makes a boat "Good" as mentioned in my OP.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Biggest thing with fiberglass is make sure theres no structural damage. cosmetic issues arent as important - just annoying. make sure you check where the deck meets the hull on the outside as well as inside for drip stains which indicate leaks. fiberglass repair is not that hard - its just important to make sure you prepare and clean it properly beforehand so as to get a good bond. ive done many fiberglass repairs on surfboards but not on boats..but its pretty much the same. I have an extremely indepth and thorough checklist I found online for those who are going to purchase a boat. I will look for it and post once I get home

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Durp

Reaction score
Sick. I'm going to look at a boat tomorrow. I have been looking around here, in the puget sound, to learn sailing. Best bet looks like taking some dighy sailing lessons. Apparently dighy sailing skills transfer to a keel boat really well. Soon as I'm living near a marina I'm going to crew for the local sailing club races. Free experience there :)

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
As well as y'know, learning to identify what makes a boat "Good" as mentioned in my OP.
Sick. I'm going to look at a boat tomorrow. :)
Here is the checklist to run as you go through everything on the boat. It's the most extensive one I've found yet. Probably a good idea to hire a surveyor tho, if you are serious about buying the boat and unless you already are very experienced with boats. http://www.frugal-mariner.com/Assessing_a_boat.html

Another forum I've been perusing for a while is http://www.cruisersforum.com

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I know its a huge list, but its good to know beforehand what repairs you'll be getting into. you know what BOAT stands for right? I have had several friends with boats that never even sailed them or have yet to sail them because they spent their whole wad on the boat and then found out that they needed new rigging, sails, etc and that shit costs $$$ that they don't have.
we were helping a friend with repairing his diesel engine and I swear one problem turned into another that led to another piece having to be bought...etc....good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: Flemmings and Tude

Durp

Reaction score
Thanks for the list. Seems like pretty coman sense stuff that can be applied to any vehicle purchase, especially rv. The bit about checking the rigging with a rag is really good. I would have missed that bit. Hopefully if all goes well, I will be putting half down on a little yacht tomorrow. Now I just need to find a good cheap place to stash my truck and rig.

Sip

Reaction score
Haha. I know Boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. :p I'm hoping to save up about $4000-$5000 and then find a boat in decent shape and keep a couple $1500 or so aside for needed repairs. Not a lot of budget to work with, but I always loved pulling things off by the skin of my ass.

Thanks for the info guys, and good luck with your boat, Jim.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@iamwhatiam thanks for the best checklist.
Heck yea. I will have that printed out... and in my hand at any prospective purchase.

This list seems like it will be useful for those folks trying to juice you for the 4-5K range...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads