Fence Crossing!

K

Kim Chee

If you're traveling on foot, you're probably going to eventually find the need to be on the other side of a fence...and if you're like me you don't carry cutting tools. Over the years I've become pretty handy at exploiting weaknesses in fences without tools. I think this is an important skill to have. If you have a technique to share, kindly do so.

Over, under or through...which works best for you?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
ROFL - I've always gotten around fences either under or over. But I forgot about THE TOOL. Dam - I didn't realize the darn thing was talking in my pocket the whole time!! USE ME!!! USE YOUR TOOL!!! :D

I'd love to use my tool.

ROFL.

K

Kim Chee

@Tude, I wanted to be ready for somebody who was going to state the obvious. I'm a man, dammit! Of course, the tool is first consideration, what if I didn't have a tool?

A man must be able to think on his feet even if he isn't a man;)

Tude

Reaction score
aw-ight - - let's just lay it all out. I love tools. The more tools the better. I have lovely tools here. Sucks that I cannot take my toolz on a plane but that's ok - the people I will be meeting up with soon --- have SPARE TOOLS!!! Yay - LOANER TOOLS.

One cannot go without tools. OH dear.

Reactions: Jaguwar

Tude

Reaction score
Oh good grief. Pee on it - get a shock - EEEK it's electrified.

A) go around
B) smack the dam thing with a branch to kill it or
C) dig under and crawl. :D

I've done C. Nice and dirty and still got a good shock. hmmph.

Unless the man has a TOOL that would take care of that. That last part was for @7xMichael :p:p

K

Kim Chee

This thread is going to become a tutorial, feel free to add:

If no way through, I'll sometimes try to find a gate if it isn't too well lit. Hang your backpack on fence, go over without snagging genitalia.

Preferable method if no hole through is under. Dig as a last resort. Try to lift bottom of fence from the ground and slide under.

Fence corners often have a post making it easier to go over.

If you see a horizontal rail, it can many times be used as a foothold to climb over.

Razor wire sucks balls and will kill you if you aren't careful. If you've climbed over razor wire, share your story:)

I've never seen an electric fence when traveling unless it was for livestock.

Gates can often be moved allowing you to walk through while still locked.

watson

Reaction score
throw my pack over or hang it on the fence, take my jacket off and throw it on the fence so i can hop over quick without any snagging. obviously thicker the jacket the easier it is

Edit: face-Fence*

Last edited:
Reaction score
throw my pack over or hang it on the face, take my jacket off and throw it on the fence so i can hop over quick without any snagging. obviously thicker the jacket the easier it is

Learned that trick from fight club (movie) great for when you don't feel like bleeding.:)

Leap

Reaction score
throw my pack over or hang it on the face

Holy shit I've hopped so many fences and ripped so many jeans because I'm going over with my pack on or throwing it over and breaking anything that's inside and I've never ONCE thought about taking it off and hanging it on the fence. Jesus, I can't facepalm hard enough

• Haha
Reactions: WrecksPowercolt

Art101

Reaction score
2 ribbon experiences, the first ribbon wire experiences,wont say why I was crossing it but I got cut to hell.Second time used a blanket and all better.

Last edited:

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Three times I've followed a fenceline to a gate and found enough play in the latch to just slip through... I'm smallish, but not a stick figure, either. Always worth looking for the gate. If your fence goes through any wooded area, look for fallen trees on it and just climb up the ramp.

I learned to hide my fence holes by being stuck behind a gnarly fence that was repaired while I slept. Thick aluminum wire is great, looks like a real repair but bends easily with just your fingers.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good guide to getting around barbed-wire fences that I found a while ago.

The few times I've needed to get around a fence I've lucked out and been able to crawl under. This one time me and a friend were trying to get past a fence but didn't want to climb because it was near a busy road and we would be spotted. We were walking along the fence looking for a way in when a random dude who had been walking behind us pointed out a spot where we could crawl under. We thanked him and he kept walking. It was weird but we probably wouldn't have found the spot without his help.

• Useful
Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads