Experiences with Railroad police in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Qtravels

Lurker
Current Location
Ontario, Canada
I am asking because people say CN police is pretty bad. I want to know about specific experiences and if any of that included jail time and/or fine's paid and what that specific amount was.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
Ironically, YouTube viewers witnessed Brave Dave outrunning railroad police at an IM yard in Regina back in 2016. He escaped the jaws of justice, but a warrant was later issued where Dave himself would not return to Canada for a while. And the warrant itself remains valid for 10 years. He paid no fines or jailtime, but he was banned from the country.

train in vain

Rambler
Current Location
Out there
Brave Dave is a dildo.
This guy I know has been asking me alot about riding trains whenever we bump into each other at the bar and hes like yeah i was watching this guy on youtube..bravedave. Haha. I was drunk and went on a rant about how dumb that dude is for a good while. Brave dave.ugh

sd40chef

Current Location
everywhere
For the most part you won't see any although most of the major yards and big cities have bulls.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
ide imagine its not all that different from how the states treats trespassing on railroad property. despite canadas reputation for being alot more lax about minor stuff i know for a fact people still do jail time in canada for riding trains.

if you want specific info, look up the crime yer being charged with at the time of yer arrest. this shit can vary from a basic trespassing charge, which could be a weekend in jail, or time served, or a few hundred bucks, or nothing. or it could be a felony charge depending whats in yer pack or if yer drunk or the cop wants to put this or that on the report. this shits not black or white. if yer scared of having a charge on yer record or spending a week or two in county i dunno what else to say because if you ride long enough its gonna happen regardless of how careful you are.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
ide imagine its not all that different from how the states treats trespassing on railroad property. despite canadas reputation for being alot more lax about minor stuff i know for a fact people still do jail time in canada for riding trains.

if you want specific info, look up the crime yer being charged with at the time of yer arrest. this shit can vary from a basic trespassing charge, which could be a weekend in jail, or time served, or a few hundred bucks, or nothing. or it could be a felony charge depending whats in yer pack or if yer drunk or the cop wants to put this or that on the report. this shits not black or white. if yer scared of having a charge on yer record or spending a week or two in county i dunno what else to say because if you ride long enough its gonna happen regardless of how careful you are.
At the risk of sounding like a braggart, I never once was arrested or given a ticket that wasn't just a warning. But that said, I was extremely careful, very ninja, and very very patient. I think overall it would take me about twice as long as most people to get where I was going, but that never really bothered me.

I do think I'm the exception to the rule tho, and I'm not saying I never fucked up, but when I did I was smart about it and managed to get away before I was found.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
At the risk of sounding like a braggart, I never once was arrested or given a ticket that wasn't just a warning. But that said, I was extremely careful, very ninja, and very very patient. I think overall it would take me about twice as long as most people to get where I was going, but that never really bothered me.

I do think I'm the exception to the rule tho, and I'm not saying I never fucked up, but when I did I was smart about it and managed to get away before I was found.
holy shit never even a ticket??? i believe you but agree thats also super rare. ide say not being patient leads to most people getting busted and i admit i wasnt the most patient person when i first started getting into trains.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
holy shit never even a ticket??? i believe you but agree thats also super rare. ide say not being patient leads to most people getting busted and i admit i wasnt the most patient person when i first started getting into trains.
nah, i got one 'warning' ticket for being near the yard in detroit somewhere (NS in 2001)? and another warning ticket for being on a boxcar just south of dunsmir (2003?), where the railroad cop was like 'just get back on and don't let anyone see you this time' no idea who saw and reported us previously all i'd seen for hours was trees and mountains.

that said, i've been told to kick rocks by railroad workers plenty of times, but i was always just super nice and apologized for getting in their way.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
Current Location
nah, i got one 'warning' ticket for being near the yard in detroit somewhere (NS in 2001)? and another warning ticket for being on a boxcar just south of dunsmir (2003?), where the railroad cop was like 'just get back on and don't let anyone see you this time' no idea who saw and reported us previously all i'd seen for hours was trees and mountains.

that said, i've been told to kick rocks by railroad workers plenty of times, but i was always just super nice and apologized for getting in their way.
yea being nice and saying sorry for getting in the way or causing and trouble etc etc is pretty much the only good way to handle those situations when yer just straight up busted. i think for the most part its just a shock for a worker to find you anyway so ive always tried to not surprise anybody and be polite.

OP
Qtravels

Qtravels

Lurker
Current Location
Ontario, Canada

Ironically, YouTube viewers witnessed Brave Dave outrunning railroad police at an IM yard in Regina back in 2016. He escaped the jaws of justice, but a warrant was later issued where Dave himself would not return to Canada for a while. And the warrant itself remains valid for 10 years. He paid no fines or jailtime, but he was banned from the country.
Who doesn't know about bRAVE dAVE at this point

OrphXan

Lurker
Current Location
Somewhere in Canada
This guy I know has been asking me alot about riding trains whenever we bump into each other at the bar and hes like yeah i was watching this guy on youtube..bravedave. Haha. I was drunk and went on a rant about how dumb that dude is for a good while. Brave dave.ugh
The biggest dildo. He makes me fucking cringe

r3yn

Lurker
Current Location
China / Canada
What's wrong with Brave Dave? I watched some of his vids -- seemed like a British guy who caught trains. And then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?
Supposed Mocha wrote on Chimpsarereal's profile.
Oh youre already in MI! I feel dense now, I'm in GR myself and could meet around here or West MI

Staff online