• Hey folks, we've recently updated the forum software and are in the middle of getting everything back in place. I hope to have everything back online soon!

Experiences flying a sign in Flagstaff

Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Sorry if this is dumb, never done it before, anywhere, and wanna make sure I got this right. I think I have the cajones to do it now, after reading about it in this forum, and researching the laws on it in Flagstaff. Also down to last $3.

So I just grab some cardboard out of a bin and take my sharpie to it like I would when I'm making a sign for hitching, stand on the sidewalk at the road leading into WallyWorld, and smile?

I'm hiking, so I'll be in typical hiker clothes with a big external frame pack. 1 month beard. Kinda dirty. Basically your average hiker trash (my favorite kind lol) Gonna make a few signs, think these will work, or are they dumb? Suggestions?

A bear ate my hammock

An elk ate my tent

A crow stole my wallet

Hungry, Hungry Hiker

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Uncivilized Bachelor Daddy
Staff member
Current Location
666 E. Home Ave. Fresno, Ca. 93728
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
I tried flying a sign in downtown Flagstaff sometime in 2012 and I was quickly ordered to put that shit away by some police passing by. Apparently there were or are some pretty strict laws as to where you can and can't panhandle. I'd look into that first, make sure you know where you're alright to fly. And then I'd work on those sign ideas some more. "A bear ate my hammock" I understand you're aiming to be funny but I just don't think that line is gonna make it rain. Elk ate the tent, same thing.

These are basically jokes but they're also lies, right. So I think.. this is just my take on it.. but I think the joke has to outweigh the lie for it to work. It has to be funny enough that they're not even gonna think for a second "bullshit". They'll be too busy laughing at the funny line to worry about whether or not it's true. It's like the ninjas kidnapped my family need money for kung fu lessons, that guy had a decent little joke right? Everyone knows it's a lie but it was a good enough joke to outweigh it. I don't think "a crow stole my wallet" is a good enough joke to outweigh the lie. I'd probably just roll my eyes in my head and keep walking if I read that, it just isn't a zinger.

Of the lines you have so far I'd opt for the last one. It isn't gonna make you rich either but at least it's probably honest depending on when you last ate. Lastly, and this is just my opinion again but.. I think it's perfectly acceptable to plagiarize signs that have worked for someone else in the past. Like google that shit, find something that you can work with and use it. I wouldn't use the same line the dude on the corner across from you has or even down the street but I mean find some shit online and just borrow it if you're struggling with writers block for now.

Current Location
Minneapolis, MN, United States
Website
youjostravels.weebly.com
Reactions
90% 4% 6%
I would suggest shortening the sign to the last part. I can tell you're trying to be funny to catch people's attention. You don't have to wok that hard, and if you want to go for something honest (no to assume you're lying) you could fly a sign about traveling. "Hit the road. The road hit back. Anything helps. Including a smile." Something like that, maybe?

Coywolf

Sir Drinks-A-Lot
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Reactions
95% 0% 4%
@Eng JR Lupo RV323 Flagstaff rescinded those sign flying laws a few years ago. It's legal to fly signs there now.

People fly signs everywhere in Flagstaff.

Just make a sign that says:

"Traveling, Broke, Anything Helps"

Or something about where you are going and you need money you get there.

I don't fly signs often, but those have always worked for me.

Ever thought of picking up an instrument and busking?

That's what I do =)

OP
OP
RiverWulf
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Thanks for the feedback and advice y'all. Wasn't sure if those 1st 3 sign ideas were funny or lame, so glad I asked lol

I'll go with the last one and some of the suggestions and update tonight with how it goes. Thank's again y'all!

Edit: As far as instruments, I was learning guitar for a few months before I hit the road, but sold it to help raise funds for the start of the trip. I was pretty bad so people would probably only pay me to stop lol

Current Location
Lethbridge, Alberta
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
In my experience your success-rate flying a sign is totally random. "Beer" has been the most useful sign I use, even though at this point I'm not spending every dime I get on beer so it's kinda a lie but what ever. Even more paradoxically it seems like I get more drops if I have a visible tall can somewhere around me. Meh.

"Anything Helps" is a classic and good. Whether you want to vocally ask people walking by is a matter of style - I can't bring myself to do it though.

And I can't decide on whether most people actually read the sign or just see the figure of the person sitting on the ground with the sign. I've held it upside down a few times, it made no difference.

OP
OP
RiverWulf
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
In my experience your success-rate flying a sign is totally random. "Beer" has been the most useful sign I use, even though at this point I'm not spending every dime I get on beer so it's kinda a lie but what ever. Even more paradoxically it seems like I get more drops if I have a visible tall can somewhere around me. Meh.

"Anything Helps" is a classic and good. Whether you want to vocally ask people walking by is a matter of style - I can't bring myself to do it though.

And I can't decide on whether most people actually read the sign or just see the figure of the person sitting on the ground with the sign. I've held it upside down a few times, it made no difference.
Interesting. We'll see how my first time goes. Maybe I'll have beginners luck!

OP
OP
RiverWulf
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Nope, no beginners luck, but I think I was in a shitty spot. 2 hours and nothing but dirty looks from 118 vehicles. Trying again on Sunday from what I think will be a better (ie busier) location.

Coywolf

Sir Drinks-A-Lot
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Reactions
95% 0% 4%
Go to the walmart on industrial Blvd. Or the I40 offramp at Butler rd. Or the Safeway on 89A.

Coywolf

Sir Drinks-A-Lot
StP Supporter
Current Location
Moab, UT
Reactions
95% 0% 4%
Also, you are going to have to let go of your pride. No room for pride while spanging or flying a sign.

Don't count vehicles, lol.

Current Location
I-40, Flagstaff, AZ 86004, USA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Coywolf has the answers. I have lived in Flagstaff for part of the summer in the forest for the last five years. Every entrance to every shopping area here has someone holding a sign. The little Walmart on the west side of town might work too. lots of sign holders there too. Flagstaff is a tough town for this.
good good luck! Something funny is better than the typical message.

Current Location
On the road
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Flagstaff is gonna be a hard place for you to make any money because of all the homebums there.. if I were you I would go to Sedona, not too far away and fly at the Safeway or Bashas there. I've always had way better luck at those places.

OP
OP
RiverWulf
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Yup, Flagstaff is a total bust for this. Luckily I found a few odd jobs to make some cash. Thanks for the tips though!

I'm gonna spend a few days in Sedona before I head north so I'll try those places out Bedheadred!

Current Location
On the road
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I'm gonna spend a few days in Sedona before I head north so I'll try those places out Bedheadred!
Sedona is gorgeous and has a lot of free camping not too far from the city, and usually has travelers there though depending on the weather. I bet it's hot AF there right now!

OP
OP
RiverWulf
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Sedona is gorgeous and has a lot of free camping not too far from the city, and usually has travelers there though depending on the weather. I bet it's hot AF there right now!

I've had Sedona recommended often for sight seeing, I'm excited to check it out. Yeah it's pretty hot here in Flag, been hitting the low 90's but supposed to cool down after this weekend. The nights are imcredible though, great hoodie weather.

Last edited:

Donate to StP!

Hey folks, the donation widget is temporarily broken, so if you'd like to donate to help keep StP going with the paypal link below, I would sure appreciate it! There's a lot of new features I'm looking forward to bringing to the site (but unfortunately they cost money).

https://www.paypal.me/MatthewDerrick

Latest Status Updates

Who is in Olympia? Bored af.
pretty much spent the day filling out job applications and sobbing because no one will hire me and i've been at a literal stall in my life for the past 3-4 years.
who are you?? Gene Autry, or something???
You either color inside the lines or you don't...or you're like me and make your own damn picture!