Everything you need to know about the 2020 Dirty Scouts Jamboree! (2 Viewers)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
It's official! The Dirty Scouts are meeting up in Bellingham, WA to hit the water and sail to Cypress Island, out in the San Juan Islands of western Washington State! We'll be gathering for three days at the Cypress Head campgrounds, a small peninsula on the east side of Cypress Island. This campground has wooden picnic benches, fire pits, and even pit toilets! In addition to being a very comfortable spot, we will be surrounded by 280+ degree views of the ocean and surrounding islands:

20190729_085551-jpg.55643

20190728_171150-jpg.55644

20190728_172637-jpg.55652

20190728_172456-jpg.55651

20190728_172418-jpg.55650

You can find more photos in @iamwhatiam's thread by clicking here.

Where is it?

We will be getting to the island on a group of boats picking everyone up in a parking lot next door to 2551 Roeder Ave (google maps link) near the Port of Bellingham. If you're curious where Cypress Head Campground is located, here's a google maps link. There will be free parking available for anyone driving a vehicle to the event.

When is it?

This year's gathering will be on August 5th-7th, 2020.
That's Wednesday to Friday!

What are we doing there?

The Dirty Scouts Jamboree is our yearly gathering of travelers and other friends of Squat the Planet to meet up somewhere fun, say hello in real life, swap stories and information, have a few drinks (optional), sing some songs around the campfire, and serves as a great way to get to know some of the folks that make up the world of underground travel. There are no requirements other than your presence and some basic supplies to get you through a few days. Also, don't be afraid if you've never traveled before and are just curious to see what it's about, all are welcome.

What happens at the even is largely up to you; some people put on workshops to teach specific skills, others relate stories of their travels, some nerd out over trains and train hopping, and don't be surprised if you hear the bellowing of people singing their hearts out to our favorite songs around the camp fire into the wee hours of the night!

Every year has been a blast so far, so you're missing out if you don't make it!

More information about specific activities at the event can be found in comments to this thread or by starting a separate thread to discuss your activity in the Jamboree forum section.

Supplies

Food, booze, and any other supplies can be obtained from grocery or convenience stores nearby or in downtown Bellingham (google maps search).

How to get to Bellingham, WA

By Bus:

Boltbus is available from Seattle to Bellingham for around $15.
City transit directions to Bellingham from Seattle can be found in this post.

By Car:

Just make your way up the I-5 freeway north from Seattle.

By Train:

Amtrak is available from Seattle to Bellingham for around $25, although it might be more expensive if purchased last minute. You're probably better off with Boltbus.
Freight train directions will be coming soon for anyone interested in hopping freight up to Bellingham.

What about covid-19?

We are currently running on the assumption that the virus will calm down enough by August to safely have this event. If that turns out to not be the case, we'll post a notification here to let you know if the event has been cancelled due to covid-19.

Getting to the Island

As mentioned before, we'll be taking three or more sail boats out to the island and the trip should take about 2-3 hours. Due to the time and effort involved in getting folks to and from the island, we will only be taking one trip there and one trip back, so it's extremely important you don't miss the boat! If you think you're going to be late, contact @Matt Derrick and we'll try and wait for you. That said, please try to prepare ahead of time to be there on time. If you want to get there a day or two early, there's plenty of forest to sleep in near the railroad tracks next to the marina.

Safety

So given the remote location and the logistics of getting out there, we're asking people to please be prepared and most of all, be cool! We haven't had any major issues with our events in the past, but anyone that perhaps imbibes too much and makes an ass of themselves or otherwise acts in a shitty manner might just get left on the island and have to hitchhike their way home. There's only one boat out, and one boat back to shore; no extra trips will be made unless it's a dire emergency (injury/sickness/etc).​

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Just as a little FYI, because someone was asking about booze stores in the area: There is a great specialty beer/cider/mead market not even a mile away from the marina with a pretty good selection of drinks (and beer and cider on tap) for if you get thirsty while waiting for the boat meetup. A few outdoor seats too if you got your dogs with you. Elizabeth Station. Elizabeth Station - https://www.elizabethstation.es/ You won't find your run of the mill steel reserve or Mickey's there. For that, try the gas station a couple blocks down, across from the homeless shelter.

Attachments

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Just as a little FYI, because someone was asking about booze stores in the area: There is a great specialty beer/cider/mead market not even a mile away from the marina with a pretty good selection of drinks (and beer and cider on tap) for if you get thirsty while waiting for the boat meetup. A few outdoor seats too if you got your dogs with you. Elizabeth Station. Elizabeth Station - https://www.elizabethstation.es/ You won't find your run of the mill steel reserve or Mickey's there. For that, try the gas station a couple blocks down, across from the homeless shelter.
i just wanna throw in my .02 and say that @iamwhatiam took me to this place and i was super impressed. really nice selection.

Cirno9

Rambler
We'll try and have city transit directions here soon if possible.
Bus directions from seattle:

510/512 to everett station -> 90x to Skagit station -> 80x to bellingham station

Timetables:

Bus Schedules & Route Maps | Community Transit - https://www.communitytransit.org/busservice/schedules/route/510-512

90X, 90X - Skagit Snohomish Connector | Skagit Transit | Skagit Transit - https://www.skagittransit.org/90x/

80X, 80X - Mt. Vernon / Burlington / Alger / Bellingham | Skagit Transit | Skagit Transit - https://www.skagittransit.org/80x/

Last two busses are 2.00 dollars each and first bus should be 2.50, so 6.50 but takes more time than the boltbus, but this is good if you need a cheaper option.

If i wasnt supposed to post this im sorry. :)

EphemeralStick

The Sass Master Deluxe
I was wondering is there any restroom or outhouses on the island? Or go in the bushes? (No pun).
I'm hoping my company grants me a vacation. I want to be there!
There are two well maintained outhouses near the campsites we found. They were even stocked with toilet paper and saw dust to throw on top. So, no need to go in the bushes unless you really want to I suppose.

Website
www.youtube.com
There are two well maintained outhouses near the campsites we found. They were even stocked with toilet paper and saw dust to throw on top. So, no need to go in the bushes unless you really want to I suppose.
OK thanks! One more thing I forgot to mentioned, water. Is there well water there or do I need to hike my own water? Thanks!

EphemeralStick

The Sass Master Deluxe
@Crazy Hobo Johnny Great question! There weren't any water spouts that I saw so I don't think there's well access. Drinking water will have to be brought to the island so it would be good to bring a gallon. I'm going to bring a few to share but its always a good idea to bring your own.

Website
www.youtube.com
FYI: for those who want to take Amtrak, all service is canceled leaving north of Seattle do to Covid-19. However, that could change by the the time August gets here. Source: Amtrak website.
2. Another bus option is Greyhound bus.
3. Do we meet in the CityMac parking lot??
Thanks!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
OK thanks! One more thing I forgot to mentioned, water. Is there well water there or do I need to hike my own water? Thanks!
@Crazy Hobo Johnny Great question! There weren't any water spouts that I saw so I don't think there's well access. Drinking water will have to be brought to the island so it would be good to bring a gallon. I'm going to bring a few to share but its always a good idea to bring your own.
There is no well water at this spot. We have to bring in our own. I have a couple 5 gallon containers on the boat, I may get another one to bring as well.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
3. Do we meet in the CityMac parking lot??
Thanks!
NO! Do not park in the CityMac parking lot, you might get towed there. There is a parking lot right next to it, where all the boaters can park for free. I'm not sure what Gate my boat or the other boats will be at yet, but it will be one of these parking lots where the "Red X's" are. That's gonna be another thing we have to all coordinate last minute
squalicum-harbor-map-jpg.56419

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

My Anarchist's Guide to Travel came in today, six days early! I know it's not anything major, but I feel like I'm finally making progress towards getting myself out and traveling.

Now I just have to make sure I don't forget about my book review (which I wrote in my spare time) because I was too busy plowing through this. 😬

EDIT: It also came with a message from Matt and an awesome StP sticker that I didn't notice at first! Thank you!!
Katbearfoot wrote on Fenimore's profile.
cool tats! ;)
Back in the states, where madness reigns supreme

But I'm alright here in Wichita, KS

Found some beautiful nature spots

kickin' it with my parents

Hit me up if you roll through

Hope you all are well and I hope things start changing for the better
Jerrell wrote on Twiggy's profile.
Good to hear.
Weekly voice chat is in 30 mins in our discord, come conversate with us using your vocal cords
Coronavirus, Murder hornets, race riots...level 6 jumanji starts tonight
Well spanged up enough for a greyhound dipping this thursday thx! For the help!
My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.

Members online

No members online now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
ANo1