Evasion (1 Viewer)

PopeNorton

@PopeNorton submitted a new file to the library:

Evasion - travelogue

CrimethInc's description:

Evasion is one person’s travelogue of thievery and trespassing across the country, evading not only arrest, but also the 40-hour workweek and hopeless boredom of modern life. The journey documents a literal and metaphorical reclamation of an individual’s life and the spaces surrounding them - scamming, squatting, dumpstering, train hopping and shoplifting a life worth living and a world worth the fighting for.

Click here for more info!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

MFB

Wise Sage
Aww man, I remember being in love w this book in my young 20s. Razor finger. 😂
Wonder if anyone ever met that dood Mac?

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Aww man, I remember being in love w this book in my young 20s. Razor finger. 😂
Wonder if anyone ever met that dood Mac?

I was friends with him for many years, since before the book was published.

Unfortunately he's a bit of a veganazi douche, and pretty sexist. He told me many times "the best scam I ever came up with was a girlfriend" mostly cause he just lived off them and wouldn't get a job.

There's a reason this book is out of print and not available in crimethinc's library... publishing it was kind of a big mistake and they got a ton of flack for it.

MFB

Wise Sage
I was friends with him for many years, since before the book was published.

Unfortunately he's a bit of a veganazi douche, and pretty sexist. He told me many times "the best scam I ever came up with was a girlfriend" mostly cause he just lived off them and wouldn't get a job.

There's a reason this book is out of print and not available in crimethinc's library... publishing it was kind of a big mistake and they got a ton of flack for it.

Word, I read somewhere there was a ton of beef w him bc of the 'girlfriend scam'.
I found an interview he did and he came off very much holier than thou.

Regardless, the book opened up a lot of possibilities for me when I was a bit scared to let go of the security of vanilla life.
Sadly most of the ideas and books I like are written by ppl who arent so great in real life.

D

Deleted member 24782

I closed my account
Was considering re-reading this, it's under $10 on ebay.

D

Deleted member 24782

I closed my account
Lol classic
Dude wrote this big denunciation of crimethinc and anarchists eventually

Denouncing anarchy is a common trend among young anarchists, as they grow up...

Would be interested in reading that if you know how to find it.

superphoenix

Vagabond
Reading this currently and he writes about Shoestring. I can only imagine it's *the* Shoestring he's talking about. Not a very flattering description of him lol

D

Deleted member 24782

I closed my account
Evasion was supposedly written by Peter Young, he ended up doing time for liberating a mink farm in the midwest. I have a hardcopy. I'm currently on page 153, which is just about how far I made it when I read it 16 years ago. Hard to finish the book as it has no real plot structure, I think it was a bunch of zines put together. Still worth the read, I guess?

I will sum it up for everyone: He dumpsters a bagel, talks to a cute girl, hops a train, dumpsters a bagel, does a walmart return scam, talks to a cute girl at a cafe, eats a bagel, hangs out in some libraries, steals some CD's from Barnes and Noble, talks to a cute girl, eats more bagels, steals more stuff, sneaks into a movie theater, goes to a hard core show, hops a train again, talks shit about everyone and everything, eats more bagels, steals more stuff, talks to more cute girls, "eats a bagel' with a cute girl, he really likes bagels, and cute girls. Bagels.

Then somehow INSPIRES a generation- Amazing!

The end, or should I say "The middle", since I'm having a hard time making it to the end, again.

D

Deleted member 24782

I closed my account
Reading this currently and he writes about Shoestring. I can only imagine it's *the* Shoestring he's talking about. Not a very flattering description of him lol

What page is the Shoestring meeting?

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Lol classic
Dude wrote this big denunciation of crimethinc and anarchists eventually

That's funny since both crimethinc and most anarchists don't want anything to do with him either.

I mean, we're talking about a guy that was proud of living off his girlfriends, advocated for a a gestapo-style online list outing/doxxing former vegans, and who's quote on the back of his book says "homelessness, poverty, unemployment... If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right."

I mean the fact that crimethinc even published that book shows how naive they (and a lot of anarchist, myself included) were at the time.

I'm also curious about the shoestring part, I don't remember that, but it's been a long time.

superphoenix

Vagabond

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-27 at 4.32.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-27 at 4.32.07 PM.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 67

MetalBryan

Vagabond
I'm glad we can all have a chuckle at the expense of our younger selves. Evasion, Days of War Nights of Love, and the Cometbus Omnibus are my holy trinity of introducing me to a different way of thinking about life.

Is the consensus that Evasion isn't relevant any more? I'm just curious haven't thought about these texts in years... I had totally forgotten about all the fucking bagels until Brodiesel710 brought it up hahaha.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Is the consensus that Evasion isn't relevant any more?

it's really only relevant to fresh greenie travelers that haven't really had to endure the harsh realities of the road yet. im all for inspiring people to get off their ass, and this book (for that age demographic) will definitely do that, but i think it's super naive to not temper that excitement and enthusiasm by pointing out the shittier aspects as well.

Ya, I would consider this an interesting historical read that compliments any study of the 90's eco-terrorist movement but that's about it. Even 15yrs I ago I approached it with a "like the anarchist cookbook but with narrative" mindset. Yes some of the scams still work but overall it's a relic of it's time and should by no means be used as a how-to manual.

void gaze

Pilgrim
Yeah I mean this was around 20 years ago right?I think it inspired so many baby anarchists because it was “TRAVEL+CRIME” and depicted the lifestyle as not just fun but as resistance. I think he lived in the Santa Cruz anarchist forest squatter community for a while so he would have had ties with people like that. I googled him and the most recent thing that came up was his piece about “girl boss” lmao.... anyway a few years ago a cousin of mine read evasion and became an anarchist and took off! I don’t think that was the only reason but I guess at least the text is still out there helping bourgeois society disintegrate from within haha... I couldn’t find the crimethinc piece but I hope someone does. They also had a sort of opposite one that was like “all traveler kids are purged from crimethinc” that one should still be out there

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$105.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $105.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.