Europeans making North America Roadtrip *needing help*

touf

Reaction score
ok where should we start,

we are 4 people from Europe and were planning to make a roadtrip through north america..
We´ve never been before in North America but weve booked the flight..

We arrive in the middle of may in Montreal...and 4 months later our flight goes back from LA to Europe....
Our idea is to stay a month in canada (cause the standard-touristvisum for the US is 3 months) afterwards we want to go down the eastcost and then through the US to the Westcoast...
Thats kind of the basics...

Our idea is to buy a car/bus in Canada and to the trip with the car..
So and there the questions start:
Is it actually a good idea to do the trip with a bus/car?
Is it difficult to find a used bus to buy? Were all 20 is this a proplem?
Whats with an insurance?
How much should we expect to pay?

And there are a lot more questions...
Where should we go? Cool places, nice bars,...
Are there some cool happenings in this time?
Good ways for finding anarchists or other nice people?
Finding free beds for some nights?
We are also very interested in radical queer things...???
Squats?
Contacts?
Were all not having a lot money...so everything what could help us to survive with less money...

just give us all usefull informations you can think of...

We are really looking forwars to the trip and to get to know a lot of awesome people..

Thanks a lot for answers..

hugs and kisses

:arrgh:

Reactions: HitcherTheDrifter

Dmac

Reaction score
perhaps instead of buying a bus, a used RV would work out better. that way you could sleep/cook right there. however they are not very good on gas. any of the national parks are worth the stop, and you can buy a pass that will allow for free entry to all of them. most state parks are hit or miss, depends what you like.

Skitty

Reaction score
hmmm...How's everyone's english? I think it'll be extremely helpful to have atleast basic conversational skills if you're planning on traveling through the states, then again people live here their entire lives and never speak the least bit of it and manage fine.
If you guys are looking to be staying in people's houses go to www.couchsurfing.com and check it out, it's all about letting people stay at your house for a nite or a couple nights for free. Insurance laws vary from state to state, and you have to be 25 to rent a car, but there's always cheap cars for sale on craigslist, or just check the local paper. Since you'll be hitting the states in June I would recommend sticking to the heartland (midwestern states) unless you like extreme heat. The northwest is also beautiful and the people in montana are very traveler friendly. If you visit the indymedia sites for each city they should have a list of infoshops for you to check out.

touf

Reaction score
i think a used RV is still to expensive...or not?

our english is somewhere between good and very good...
there is also one native speaker...so there shouldn be any problem to communicate...

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Check police auctions for vehicles, not impossible to find rvs for around 1000 $. You can usually ask truckers at service stations for gasoline handouts, they usually buy on a company card, which makes them not care about pumping out an extra 10 gallons or something. Search for local indymedia, or food not bombs, most major cities should at least have something small going on. this should be a good place to find squatters/anarchists.
Also, not as good, but you can use the anarchist yellow pages for some cities, just google anarchist yellow pages.
I can probably help lots more with specifics, drop me an email, as I dont come on here so much- kylemfwelch@spaz.org
I have been here in Europe now for almost 2 years, maybe we have crossed paths? I was at the Copenhagen Queer festival, and all over the western part of the continent, at many different squats and projects.
send me an email, and I will see what more I can help-
have fun-

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Bringing a vehicle across the boarder from Canada can sometimes be difficult because Canadian vehicles aren't certified to US safety and pollution regulations, so you can't legally sell them without importing them first, which is a lot of paperwork and money. If you have a Canadian address you can say you're coming across to buy gas, or say you're going camping if you've got luggage. But that could be a problem for your visa. They sometimes ask to see money enough to pay for repairs if the car breaks down. It's not impossible, you just want to be prepared.

touf

Reaction score
thanx for the tips

xo

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads