Entering Canada/Mexico with state ID rather than passport? | Squat the Planet

Entering Canada/Mexico with state ID rather than passport?

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
I was wondering if it's at all possible to enter either Canada or Mexico with just a state ID as opposed to a passport. And if so would the US let me back in? I'm from California if that matters.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
According to this site, you need a "passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License." California doesn't offer enhanced IDs (pretty much an ID with extra security features including an electronic chip) so you would need to get a passport or passport card. A passport card is going to be cheaper but it only works if you're traveling by land (you can't fly with it).

That's just from doing a little bit of research so there might be another way but it seems like you're going to need at least a passport card.

• Useful
Reactions: Kal

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
According to this site, you need a "passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License." California doesn't offer enhanced IDs (pretty much an ID with extra security features including an electronic chip) so you would need to get a passport or passport card. A passport card is going to be cheaper but it only works if you're traveling by land (you can't fly with it).

That's just from doing a little bit of research so there might be another way but it seems like you're going to need at least a passport card.

Thanks. I'm not planning on flying to Mexico so passport card it is (also fits in my wallet).

I've heard horror stories about getting deported from Canada (but also some strangely pleasant ones) so I don't want to be there illegally.

Thanks again.:D

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
I have no record besides a jaywalking ticket...

If I can't do greyhound with a card then i'll get a real one. I'll have to look into that.

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
Canada's more slack than the US when it comes to cross border traffic when you have a record. You can get it permanently waived after a certain period of time passes, the US requires a special visa for every single trip, every time, forever, if you have a record.

EDIT: Depending on the crime of course.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
man the second thumbs up was so shit and so faked compared to the first. they did do a third one in China I think, but I haven't seen it yet.

Man if you think the second one seems fake I'd hate to see your reaction to the third. That one seems fake to me...

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
they supposedly shoot adrenaline then literally run across the US-Mexican border while getting chased by cops in the second one. if that's not jumping the shark I don't know what is.

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Reviving a dead thread here but maybe someone will find it useful.

For canada you absolutley have to have your shit in order. Their generally cunts on the border. Theres a 0% chance of crossing legally without a passport.
If you have a passport, get ready for more bullshit. The border cops openly discriminate against us. I was stopped twice at crossing and held untill I could show them a bank statement with sufficient money to fund my stay. I had a valid 6 month visa from previous entries both times. I literally got a haircut, scored some yuppie looking cloths from a homeless shelter and put my pack in a suitcase to cross into VC one time. My friend got turned around at an airport once because they read through his entire fucking travel journal and found out he was poor as fuck. Seriously.
Experiences may very but yeah...

Mexico? Mexico dont give a fuck. You can walk across the northerm borders with nothing. There are military and police checkpoints throughout the country were they MAY ask to see your passport. Theres always the chance of a random stop too. But really, no one gives a fuck about some american hobo causing no problems. I’ve had my papers looked at 3 times in 7 months. And only once(a random check by mexican immigration while hitching in michoacan) did they actually seem to care. Most of that time I havent even had a valid visa.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads