Embracing freedom

Scubasteve78

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Steve, I am a Marine Corps Veteran looking to travel the country side, take in the amazing scenery and live off the land. I have been out of the military for almost 20 years, had multiple jobs legal and illegal, been in multiple relationships(ending a 14 year relationship soon) and always seem to feel empty inside. my father was murdered when i was 2 months old and i was raised by a bitter asshole from the time i was 10. i love nature, i love smoking ganja and i love freedom. so tired of laws and taxes and the corruption everywhere. while i am very knowledgeable i know little about freighthopping and was wondering if someone would mentor me. no one is willing to hire a combat veteran for any descent paying job, this is all i have left for an option aside from killing myself or turning into a homicidal maniac. i am a very peaceful person and wish to remain such, anyone with ulterior motives look elsewhere for your victim. if you want to help you will not regret it and have a friend for life..namaste..xo

Last edited:
Reactions: wizehop and Mankini

VeganBrianFL

Reaction score
Please refrain from the homicide.. But more so from the suicide :/
From a long time anarchist, I'd still like to thank you for your service, man.
If you pass through either JAX or Broward county FL (currently in JAX but from the 954 so whether or not I'm down there I can usually hook it up), hit me up and I'll pull some strings.
Again, I appreciate your sacrifices. And I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for and will help in the [very :\] limited ways that I can.

Reactions: Mankini

Supposed Mocha

Chainsmoking Pink Bloc
Reaction score
Hey there, man!

I'm sorry to hear you've had to suffer and feel all that pain, but I think we all come out better for it and some freedom and adventure definitely heals the soul. Twenty years is a long time, and I can appreciate the dedication. I hope it left a good and not a bad impression. Definitely take the path of the nomad over violence, you won't regret it I'm sure. Sorry that I can't offer much besides a wishing of good luck and encouragement to get out there. Give it a go, even as a person cursed with lots of intrusive thoughts and obsessions, the road and moving about gives the mind something else to think about.

Definitely stick around and ask questions, I'm sure people will help you out! Best of wishes.

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
Best advice I can give you is to get a pack with some clothes and a tent, and start thumbing your way in whatever direction your heart desires. Or whatever you travel choice is. You may find what you're looking for through travels, you may not, but you'll never know till you try. It can't hurt to take a leap and try something new.
You may find liberation leaving everything and living a simple life, many do. You've gone this far in life.. Keep going, this may be your chance to discover a new you.

Scubasteve78

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. im very capable of living off the land. i plan on making my way to texas to help out my uncle on his cattle ranch though I want to see the countryside and the scenery that can only be seen via freighthopping.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Scubasteve78 , RAH!

Fellow USMC Vet here. 0451, '07-'10. OIF/OEF, Al-Anbar province.

I've been on the road for 3 years, and I've come to find that I'm the most at peace when I'm traveling, even when things go FUBAR.

What part of TX are you heading to? I'm currently making my way back towards Houston, which is where I've kinda decided is my "home base".

Hit me up sometime, I'll buy you a shitty beer.

Also, there are actually A LOT of fellow vets on StP, just look around.

Semper Gumby! ::eyepatch::

Scubasteve78

Reaction score
@Scubasteve78 , RAH!

Fellow USMC Vet here. 0451, '07-'10. OIF/OEF, Al-Anbar province.

I've been on the road for 3 years, and I've come to find that I'm the most at peace when I'm traveling, even when things go FUBAR.

What part of TX are you heading to? I'm currently making my way back towards Houston, which is where I've kinda decided is my "home base".

Hit me up sometime, I'll buy you a shitty beer.

Also, there are actually A LOT of fellow vets on StP, just look around.

Semper Gumby! ::eyepatch::
By Killeen, Waco area. hate to leave the only lady who ever loved me but she deserves better and would not survive long on the road..0351 assaultman here, semper fi brother.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads