Suggestion Editing/removing your content from StP

Should members be able to maintain control over the material they post on StP?

• Yes, it's the users property. They should have access to edit/remove their content

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No, when you post content it should become StPs property to protect for their archive

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
O

outlawloose

I deleted myself
After Matt's inability to manage himself and this website to the standard I'd expect as a long-term user of this forum, I've decided to delete my account.

See discussion here:
https://squattheplanet.com/threads/...ping-on-low-or-no-dollars”.36494/#post-264055

Over the last 3+ years I've posted original videos, photos, illustration and writing of riding freight on various continents. I wish to remove this specific media from StP for confidentiality of information and copywrite/misuse reasons.

However editing or removing our original material is unavailable to us. Imagine posting photos in Facebook, Flickr or Instagram and never being able to later remove them.

Do you think we should be able to remove/edit our property contributed to this site?

Here is Matt's position from a previous discussion:
no, sorry, we don't do that here. enabling this possibility would literally 'swiss-cheese' threads as threads and posts were deleted.

for example, if you created a thread that someone responded to with something very useful to the community, that content along with the entire thread (created by you) would disappear since deleting the first post in the thread deletes everything in the thread. this is done because otherwise the thread would be 'headless' and be orphaned data in the database and that's always a bad thing (can really mess with a website).

also, even posts that you created (in threads you did not start) would create 'gaps' in the conversation, somewhat ruining the archival value of a message board and making some conversations in the forums make less sense.

we DO offer the ability to 'anonymize' your data in accordance with GRPD laws (sp?) of the EU. that means if you delete your account, the user name will be replaced with 'deleted member #' (see sole survivor's avatar and user name now). all your identifying data is removed (profile, email, avatar, etc). but your posts remain (under the anonymized user name). this does not remove user @ mentions or other people typing your name in posts or in quotes.
great thing about owning and running your own website is that i can basically do whatever i want. im not beholden to you or anyone else, so if you don't like the way i'm running things here you're more than welcome to leave.

Threads
Current Location
New Orleans
Reactions
96% 1% 3%
Quotes taken out of context... While both have been said - not in the order represented - or even as reply to the topic of question.

Threads
Current Location
New Orleans
Reactions
96% 1% 3%
Sorry you want to remove your stuff and delete account :( .... (Sad face rating)

Jackthereaper

StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Reactions
85% 2% 13%
You got your panties that wadded up over one post? Why dont you wait till after your period before you make any rash decisions bro

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

outlawloose

I deleted myself
You got your panties that wadded up over one post? Why dont you wait till after your period before you make any rash decisions bro.
Bro!
Youve been on this website for what, 5 minutes, bro? No, this has been one of those long, drawn out periods, these bloody panties have been riding me for a few years now seeing how Matt runs this place. But thanks for the mantalk dude - you'll fit right in bruh

OP
OP
O

outlawloose

I deleted myself
Quotes taken out of context... While both have been said - not in the order represented - or even as reply to the topic of question.
To clarify, the top quote is in direct response to the subject of this post. Click the link to see it's context.

The second quote is not about a specific topic, but is a broad statement of how Matt runs this place and decides these rules.

Tadaa

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Tallinn, Estonia
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
you can delete post by post if you really want. but can you guys just bury the axe?
would hate to see you go @outlawloose .. your posts are a guide for many others..

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
The second quote is not about a specific topic, but is a broad statement of how Matt runs this place and decides these rules.
that quote is definitely out of context and pretty unfair. that was a response to a specific question you posted, not a general statement as you are implying.

Imagine posting photos in Facebook, Flickr or Instagram and never being able to later remove them.
hey, guess what? we're not facebook. and fuck the idea that i'm supposed to bow down to any user that demands it in the name of customer service. especially when i'm paying out of pocket to provide you a free service and putting 20-30 hours a week into StP just for that privilege.

based on this thread though, i've decided that the content removal policy needed some updating, so you can read the updated version here:

https://squattheplanet.com/help/content-removal/

short version is that i retain the right to keep non-exclusive copies of anything you post here in order to maintain the integrity and usefulness of this website to it's users.

you can delete post by post if you really want.
Just FYI, posts and threads you've created are only editable up to 7 days after they were created to basically negate this kind of abuse.

but can you guys just bury the axe?
I'm ready to do so gladly. @outlawloose is the person that seems to have the issue here.

OP
OP
O

outlawloose

I deleted myself
short version is that i retain the right to keep non-exclusive copies of anything you post here in order to maintain the integrity and usefulness of this website to it's users
Thanks for clarifying this publicly. As much as I hate to leave certain info and original media content lying around unprotected on the internet, I have no choice here. Its your website and you can run it how you wish. Issue resolved.

roughdraft

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Delmarva
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
You got your panties that wadded up over one post? Why dont you wait till after your period before you make any rash decisions bro
menstrual jokes are not funny. period.

but for real don't bring that trash here. please ::soapbox::::bored::::bawling::

Threads
Current Location
Potter County PA
Reactions
96% 0% 3%
Well ole outlaw I’ll be messaging ya beforehand ya do. I’ve wanted to delete myself but couldn’t figure it out. This forum isn’t like FB most day so anyway, likes and smileys etc. there is very rarely quality content

Threads
Current Location
Tacoma-ish, WA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
This is why I love StP. It's about the usefulness of the forum to the newcomers and the people seeking knowledge, not about pandering to everyone so that they don't get upset life ain't fair. If you've spent time on the road you should know by now nothing's fair, and nothing is supposed to be. Mother nature didn't create this rock with critters' feelings in mind. Just as Matt didn't create this space to be a sandbox changed by any member with a hurt on their bum.

Rule of thumb- Don't post anything on the internet you want control over unless you already copyrighted it.

Anagor

Vagabond
Threads
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Well, in my opinion a forum like StP is different from the so called social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, etc.

I see StP as a kind of community project driven by @Matt Derrick (and supported by the moderators and people who donate for server costs and alike). They provide for the infrastructure and the members provide the content.

And I'm glad they do cause StP is a rich source of information in so many fields regarding this lifestyle.

Over the last 3+ years I've posted original videos, photos, illustration and writing of riding freight on various continents. I wish to remove this specific media from StP for confidentiality of information and copywrite/misuse reasons.
You wrote you "posted" various kinds of content. Of course you posted it. But instead of posting I would more call it ... you published those content here on this platform.

I see StP more like a book, we all contribute to. And - just as an example - imagine you would have contributed texts and artwork to some actual book. You would not demand to rip out/blacken all your content in the still unsold copies just because you changed your mind, would you?

I myself posted/published 577 (not counted this one) messages here since 2014. Sometimes I wrote about quite personal things. But I was always aware that those opinions and photos and so on ... will stay. As long as this forum exists, anyway.

And from a technical point of view: you should never put something on the internet you have the feeling you would like to have it removed later. Even if you would run you own site on your own server.

Everyone can download and redistribute your stuff ... you just have no control over it.

There are google and other search engines indexing and caching stuff. There are crawlers like web.archive.org that specifically are made to take snapshot of websites. You can even take a look there what StP looked like in 2001 ...

Just my two cents ...

Threads
Current Location
Metz
Reactions
73% 8% 19%
I actually think it's quite a no-go that you can't delete your own content and am surprised that most people don't see it that way. I would have thought that especially here people would care more about their privacy. Making the username anonymus when you delete your account is not that much of a help.
This is actually one of the reasons I won't post any travel stories here, especially no pictures.

Not topic of this thread but I find Matt's behaviour in the linked thread at least very problematic. The conversation was reasonable enough until Matt started to get insulting. Yeah I know it is his website and he can do what he wants here, doesn't mean he should, or that it shouldn't be topic of criticism. Isn't there even at least one rule against aggressive and insulting behaviour? I cant check while writing since I am on the phone.
Sadly there is no other website quite like this one, as far as I know, so one really has to acceppt the way it is or fuck off. But I don't think thats any good for this forum. Personally I post travel related stuff in other forums, that are missing the punk aspect though, and only come here if I am hoping to find any special information. Maybe there are more people who feel he same, in that case the board might gain more in content through those people if the privacy policies are changed than it would loose through people deleting stuff.

Anagor

Vagabond
Threads
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I actually think it's quite a no-go that you can't delete your own content and am surprised that most people don't see it that way.
I'm not. Cause - just another examples - I see posting here like contributing an article to some online newspaper. Or leaving a comment in a blog. You normally can't withdraw/delete them as well.

There are IMHO valid reasons for this policy (many other forums do it the same) and this policy is communicated in the rules and regulations for this forum. So if you don't like it, don't post. ;)

I would have thought that especially here people would care more about their privacy. Making the username anonymus when you delete your account is not that much of a help.

This is actually one of the reasons I won't post any travel stories here, especially no pictures.
Well, that's up to you, obviously.

Not topic of this thread but I find Matt's behaviour in the linked thread at least very problematic. The conversation was reasonable enough until Matt started to get insulting.
I see it differently.

From my point of view the argument between the OP and Matt was already settled as someone else kicked it and told Matt how he should run this site.

I can understand Matt's frustration. Not long ago he banned a user who bluntly asked for the CCG in his first (!) post. And was critized for that. Now someone asks for a photo of 2 pages and Matt stressed that was against the rules but got a bit more relaxed about that later ... and was critized for that then. WTF?

Sadly there is no other website quite like this one, as far as I know, so one really has to acceppt the way it is or fuck off.
Yes, I agree. There is no website like this one, as far as I know. But think of it ... why is that? In my opinion because there is this one guy here who runs this forum for many years, dedicates his time to this site. StP is not ran by a company. It is by one guy and a few people who dedicate their time helping by moderating and other people who help by donating some money to pay for the server and licensing costs (for the forum software).

Matt is not the CEO of a company where he would perhaps say "I don't care what people say ... I make lots of money running this and fuck it ... I'm driving home in one of my Porsches right now"

So ... perhaps you don't like his behaviour regarding this specific topic/thread. But without him most probably there would not be a site like that.

Just my two cents.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
@Anagor thank you for the kind words, that means a lot that you understand where I'm coming from. I'm definitely anything but perfect, and I'm not totally proud of my 'fuck off' statement in the other thread, but I'm also human and just trying to do my best to make everyone happy (or, at least, most people).

roughdraft

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Delmarva
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
that's the man we wanna support right there

Anagor

Vagabond
Threads
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
@Anagor thank you for the kind words, that means a lot that you understand where I'm coming from.
You're welcome. I really mean it.

I'm definitely anything but perfect
Well, nobody is. My point is: criticism is okay. But it should be well-grounded. It is always easier to criticise than to make it better. So criticism is a good thing if it is constructive. But that (in the other thread) was not IMHO.

and I'm not totally proud of my 'fuck off' statement in the other thread
Yeah, just in the future mind your fucking language! :D

Anagor

Vagabond
Threads
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Addendum:

I would have thought that especially here people would care more about their privacy.
Well, I care about my privacy. Meaning: what I want to stay private ... I don't publish on the internet, for fucks sake! ;)

Sorry, no offense, but I really don't understand your point.

As far as I grasp it you are saying something like "I would post more here (texts, photos, whatever) if I would have the option to delete it later". Am I right?

But why? Why should I publish something on a forum with 13,237 registered members (and perhaps many more not being registered, just lurking), indexed and cached by Google and other search engines, perhaps snapshotted by archives ... if I'm not sure about it?

Sorry, but that's just my opinion.

Threads
Current Location
Des Moines
Website
www.instagram.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I think in certain circumstances, things could be up for removal, such as information that has changed or when a job is no longer available? I just recently dealt with that, got some backlash from the ranch owner regarding a post for trimwork: After he got his workers (both pairs from the post- fuck yeah stp) he continued to get tons of emails and asked that i remove the post. Thats when i realized its impossible. He also wanted a bit less information about the location and operation on public forum. I did what i could, which amounted to changing the title and editing some of the original content. I think if an issue like this arises maybe an option should be added to "request administrator action" or something like that and with a typed up reason why, maybe could be removed or archived.

For the record i think you should use whatever the fuck language you like, Matt. Besides the fact that the place is yours, i think everyone is within rights to express themselves however they feel, regardless.