Eastern USA wilderness (1 Viewer)

CdCase123

Lurker
hi. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to good regions east of the Mississippi for camping and wilderness exploring. i am currently in asheville and the smokies out here are treating me well. i am thinking of heading to shenandoah but that seems a little to populated for my liking? I am also looking in to the catskill and adirondack parks, new england stuff to, as long as it not to north and cold. Any area in the vicinity of being somewhat accessible by train would be ideal. any info appreciated thanks.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
Kentucky is beautiful and pretty laid back. I can reccommend both the 'Land Between the Lakes' (LBL) and the 'Peabody WMA' ( former strip mine, huge, and reclaimed awesomely, very little known, pretty wild.) for good rough camping. bring a water filter to Peabody though as some of the lakes are either orange or yellow (iron & sulfur respectively) from the previous mining.

LBL's north end is right near the town of Eddieville, and the Peabody WMA is pretty easy to get to from the P&L line out of Madisonville.

Just south of LBL is 'Reelfoot Lake' in Tenn. which is badass too. gorgeous lakes with cypress trees, rough camping, fishing, and all kind of wildlife.

Let me know if you're coming through and I can get you some more detailed info. and maybe even tourguide ya a bit!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fimbulvetr Workamping in the Eastern Seirras Sucks Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 55
Hannahthebunny Anyone in central/eastern Canada? Introductions 3
L0s3r Punk from eastern Canada. Heading out again, crossing Canada this time. Introductions 17
Coywolf What's worth seeing in the Northern/Eastern US? Train Hopping 29
KinowaGear Bike touring Eastern Canada - Quebec Gaspésie Bike Touring 2
A Middle-Eastern Background, Would I have problems Hitchhiking the west coast? Hitchhiking 18
IntrovertMatt Thinking about heading towards Eastern Europe Europe 10
BackAgainC Eastern Europe communes, crashpads, farms? Europe 1
OwenE Photos Kansas City, MO to Davenport, IA on the former Iowa, Chicago, & Eastern Train Hopping 3
duderino Transamerica Bicycle Trail Eastern Express Route Bike Touring 0
Mankini Beautiful, wonderful Greeks and Middle Easterners. Travel Stories 10
fernfern Featured Notes on Eastern Europe Europe 24
OutsideYourWorld Anyone hanging out in Eastern Europe/Turkey areas? Europe 3
T Dont Let your Mom shop at Eastern Mountain Sports Alone!$$$ sleeping bag! Miscellaneous Gear 7
frankie360 Photos miles of nothing in eastern new mexico Train Hopping 7
majortom Titan I ICBM Launch Complex 725B - Eastern Colorado Urban Exploration 14
ruther Christopher from Eastern Tennessee. Introductions 3
adanisback Has anyone ever camped in flint hills (eastern kansas)? Wilderness Living 3
Jessamyn eastern europe asap Europe 11
wildboy860 Mini STP Gathering this weekend in Northeastern, CT!!!! Events / Gatherings / Festivals 1
Vinyl LP Gal from Eastern Massachusetts. Introductions 10
J Eastern State School And Hospital Redux Urban Exploration 0
hassysmacker Northeastern Permaculture Convergence - VT July 4th Weekend! COME! Events / Gatherings / Festivals 0
obey no one wandering around western usa Introductions 5
David1 Best VA Hospital in USA? Staying Healthy 8
A What should one see in the USA? General Banter 18
D Event Copwatch Workshop in Mpls, MN, USA Events / Gatherings / Festivals 0
mithereal trying to survive in the usa Introductions 15
Prometheus Introducing BRC Local #613 and the Fungusamongus Rendezvous Hobbies & Projects 0
japanarchist Library Marcel Duchamp and The Refusal of Work Politics & Anarchism 0
D Sneaking over border from Canada to USA? United States 4
PrisMiQue Photos Medusa WIP Art & Music 5
moondog513 Out of USA Train Hopping 0
James Maarsten EMERGENCY! Beijing evicts thousands! Get them to the "Ghost Cities"! Squatting 4
Troubadour90 Best cities to squat usa Squatting 14
trickdaley Video Infiltrating the most infamous party house in the USA - The Sausage Castle Travel Stories 13
F Drone usage confimation Train Hopping 31
jojoofu Bicycle tour across USA. Bike Touring 5
Kev And His Jeep Jeep Dwelling all over the USA Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 0
Kev And His Jeep Rubber Tramping all over the USA Introductions 7
Steeeevo Traveling the USA Doing Clinical Trials Introductions 4
Koala Photos Hitchhiking the west coast - USA Travel Stories 7
Matt Derrick Video Life Lessons From a 7-Thousand-Mile Bike Ride Bike Touring 8
D Free WiFi across the USA! United States 9
peachykeen Hello! Just returned to the USA after 2 years abroad, looking to explore. Introductions 7
trickdaley Zero to Travel Podcast on Hitchhiking Across the USA Hitchhiking 3
trickdaley Hitchhiking Across the USA - Walking Into California VIDEO Hitchhiking 2
trickdaley Hitchhiking Across the USA Day 39 - Don't Drink & Drive - VIDEO Hitchhiking 11
D whats the go with car insurance in the usa and canada? Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 6
Matt Derrick News & Blogs The difference in hitchhiking between the USA and Europe Hitchhiking 2