east coast to west without a license

4t7

Reaction score
Has anyone ever driven without a license?

Long distance?

[emoji604]

How terrible of an idea is this?

[emoji600] If I get pulled over but still have legit title, registration, and insurance how fucked over would I be? [emoji601]

Looking to hear stories/advice on this that any of you stp'ers may have. [emoji16]

• Haha
Reactions: angerisagift

Dmac

Reaction score
if you get stopped for any reason, they could impound your vehicle. But I drove from omaha to seattle down the coast into cali and took 80 back to omaha without a licence and with fictitious plates. if the cops had ran my plates for any reason i would have been fucked, but i had no troubles, cuz i didn't speed or drink/party etc. I looked the part of a tourist with my bike on the back and kayak on the roof, in a geo metro. but it was a huge risk and my trip could have ended at any time if I had drawn any cops attention.

that being said; With valid plates I'd go for it. however if you are in some kind of accident, you will be found at fault because you were not driving legally. Maybe try and find someone with a drivers licence to go along with you.

Reactions: 4t7

4t7

Reaction score
if you get stopped for any reason, they could impound your vehicle. But I drove from omaha to seattle down the coast into cali and took 80 back to omaha without a licence and with fictitious plates. if the cops had ran my plates for any reason i would have been fucked, but i had no troubles, cuz i didn't speed or drink/party etc. I looked the part of a tourist with my bike on the back and kayak on the roof, in a geo metro. but it was a huge risk and my trip could have ended at any time if I had drawn any cops attention.

that being said; With valid plates I'd go for it. however if you are in some kind of accident, you will be found at fault because you were not driving legally. Maybe try and find someone with a drivers licence to go along with you.

That's badass dude [emoji41] You said you didn't speed...did you drive slower than the speed limit to play it more safe?

How likely do you think it is that my vehicle would be impounded with legit plates and all that, just no DL?

I wouldn't just get ticketed?

Any advice on looking more touristy?

Art101

Reaction score
1st question,is your licence suspened,if yes its off to jail in as far as I know every state.Your ride gets impounded and your screwed.2nd,what are you driving,the less of a party rig you are driving the less of a chance you will get pulled over.If its got fuck the police or anarchy signs on it forget it.Never drive slower that can be a red flag for a cop if anything cruise right about 5 over then you just seem like everyone else going long distance.

4t7

Reaction score
1st question,is your licence suspened,if yes its off to jail in as far as I know every state.Your ride gets impounded and your screwed.2nd,what are you driving,the less of a party rig you are driving the less of a chance you will get pulled over.If its got fuck the police or anarchy signs on it forget it.Never drive slower that can be a red flag for a cop if anything cruise right about 5 over then you just seem like everyone else going long distance.

License isn't suspended I just don't have one and never have. Would that land me in jail? It's a 95' chevy van 20 with heavy tinted windows. That's pretty touristy, eh? Sadly I have no FTP or anarchy symbols though [emoji28]

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
make SURE all your lights are working. hit up autoZone and grab spare lights, fuses.
non-working lights are a sure ticket to being pulled over. check brake lights, taillights, headlights, turn signals every day.
i've driven coast-to-coast w/out a liscence also. no prob as long as u dont get pulled over.
if u do get towed, tell tow-truck river to drop u off across street in parking lot. u will pay hook fee but no mileage

• Useful
Reactions: 4t7, Dmac and Odin
D

Deleted member 2626

Have driven a lot of uninspected vehicles and drove a car with fake registration and no title insurance or anything. But recently I had my Subaru wasn't inspected for a year and a half and got a 213 dollar ticket and warrant if had went unpaid. Without a license. Impound and a fine. I don't think you'll get arrested and I bet they'd search you. Stay sober and drive early morning and day and leave your lights off then you don't have to worry. But not at night obviously ha

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i heard some statistic somewhere there you're such and such percent more likely to be pulled over by a cop in the left lane of the freeway (passing lane) than the right. but hell, i've driven across the country more times than i can count in the past 15 years, and i've never been pulled over once. so, i imagine if you're smart you should be fine.

P

pigpen

On top of everything else above I would say stick to the interstate, try to avoid too large of cities AND too small of towns and if you're gonna gas jug then find a licensed clean sober driver to stay with the vehicle while you jug.

You'll be fine just don't sweat it and pretend you're not doing anything illegal. just another cog, right?

Dmac

Reaction score
I agree with all that has been said, you have to be super careful and obey all laws. you do not want to do anything to attract attention. Always check your lights, before and during each days drive. use your signals, don't follow to close and don't road rage!
cops will sometimes run plates of cars at rest stops or at roadside parks. i would pay for a campsite if i needed to crash (less chance of dealing with a cop) or stop for short periods at truck stops or wallmart parking lots (many will let people traveling stay overnight, but it is best to ask manager to be sure).
if I had a problem with someone, I would leave just in case the guy was a dick and called the cops.

Like I said before, with a licensed car, i would do it again. if a cop is just running tags to check, you will be fine. but if he is running your tags cuz you were speeding or something like that, you will probably get pulled over anyway so he can stick his nose in your business.

are you traveling alone or with others?

Reactions: 4t7 and buffalobill

4t7

Reaction score
i heard some statistic somewhere there you're such and such percent more likely to be pulled over by a cop in the left lane of the freeway (passing lane) than the right. but hell, i've driven across the country more times than i can count in the past 15 years, and i've never been pulled over once. so, i imagine if you're smart you should be fine.
15 years and never pulled over once? Damn man, you must be a hella good/cautious driver.

4t7

Reaction score
On top of everything else above I would say stick to the interstate, try to avoid too large of cities AND too small of towns and if you're gonna gas jug then find a licensed clean sober driver to stay with the vehicle while you jug.

You'll be fine just don't sweat it and pretend you're not doing anything illegal. just another cog, right?
So back-roads and highways aren't a good idea? I guess fuck the scenic route anyways, lol

4t7

Reaction score
I agree with all that has been said, you have to be super careful and obey all laws. you do not want to do anything to attract attention. Always check your lights, before and during each days drive. use your signals, don't follow to close and don't road rage!
cops will sometimes run plates of cars at rest stops or at roadside parks. i would pay for a campsite if i needed to crash (less chance of dealing with a cop) or stop for short periods at truck stops or wallmart parking lots (many will let people traveling stay overnight, but it is best to ask manager to be sure).
if I had a problem with someone, I would leave just in case the guy was a dick and called the cops.

Like I said before, with a licensed car, i would do it again. if a cop is just running tags to check, you will be fine. but if he is running your tags cuz you were speeding or something like that, you will probably get pulled over anyway so he can stick his nose in your business.

are you traveling alone or with others?

Fuckin' cops man...[emoji35]

Will probably be travelling with a couple people though.

4t7

Reaction score
Have driven a lot of uninspected vehicles and drove a car with fake registration and no title insurance or anything. But recently I had my Subaru wasn't inspected for a year and a half and got a 213 dollar ticket and warrant if had went unpaid. Without a license. Impound and a fine. I don't think you'll get arrested and I bet they'd search you. Stay sober and drive early morning and day and leave your lights off then you don't have to worry. But not at night obviously ha
Really? A warrant over an uninspected vehicle? That is absurd [emoji34]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads