Dyeing backpack?

msre

Reaction score
So I have this super fancy pack (thanks sis, for slaving away at MEC and getting me sweet deals and free shit), and it's got lots of fun stuff like pockets and zippers and good back support for my broken back and all that.
30591-994db4b51c311bb6c1b1dbaad73aceb3.jpg

Problem is, it looks fancy as fuck, and it does not get dirty, I don't understand how...was on the road all winter, it should be dirty and stained as shit but it's just got a bit of train grease on top and that's it...anyway it's super conspicuous and I wanted to either dye it black or do something else to make it look less expensive (and less brightly coloured...). Not sure how well dye will take to the fabric, it's nylon and polyester polyurethane coated which makes me think that either the dye will do fuck all or it will ruin the fabric or at least the waterproofness.
The other thing is that I can't take out the frame, which will make the whole process a huge pain in the ass, because I believe you need to submerge the whole thing in boiling water for a time in order for the dye to do its dyeing thing.
I could also potentially just cover it in patches or something but the ones I have are all light or bright colours so that doesn't solve that problem...maybe i should just find some tracks and get the rest of it nice n greasy...

If you have any ideas I would super appreciate the help! hitting the road in about 2 weeks so I've got some time to get my shit together....cheers guys

Attachments

• KIMG0102 [35382].jpg
    KIMG0102 [35382].jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:

Zaphod

Reaction score
Idk, I had a bright red yuppie pack for my trip and never had any problems. I would imagine that big old grease spot is probably enough to let people know you're broke and not worth robbing.

You could always just rub MORE train grease on there if you were really worried about it though?

msre

Reaction score
Idk, I had a bright red yuppie pack for my trip and never had any problems. I would imagine that big old grease spot is probably enough to let people know you're broke and not worth robbing.

You could always just rub MORE train grease on there if you were really worried about it though?

Hoping to make friends with more trains in the future, hopefully some grease will rub off. It's totally possible I'm being paranoid. The backpack itself is the most valuable thing I own anyway so jokes on the one who takes it...but my spine would be very sad if that were to happen.

Just cover it in a black trash bag or buy a black rain cover for cheap.

Garbage bag works great when it's raining but usually i have stuff tied down to the outside so it doesn't fit...was hoping to find a more permanent solution

Last edited:

kecleon

Reaction score
You could spray paint it? I spray painted a tarp camo it lasted quite well though it will rub off in places and look shit but think that's what you want?

My friend colored his pack in with sharpies :/

Reactions: msre and briancray

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
HA!

Such a great coincidence.

I made a backpack for a friend, finished it yesterday. Had some great fabric (cotton mixed with silk for strength), problem is that it has the exact same color as yours! so she asked me if there would be a way to change the color... I tried some things, first the old coffee staining, but didn't work in this fabric (although in some others does a wonderful job). Same would happen to yours as its plastic...

But the same solution I used will apply to yours!

Even though the backpack I made and yours don't really need extra coating of waterproofs-ness, it can never be enough, right?
So get a hair drier, choose some dark colored candles, melt them together with equal parts turpentine, wait till it solidifies a bit and brush your whole pack with it, put lots of it so the color will darken more. Then go around the whole pack with the hair drier on max heat to make sure the wax goes into the pores (when you do it you will see what I mean)

If you don't have access to turpentine or just want to give it a fast try. Grab some dark colored candle and rub it into the fabric until lots of it get to it, then blow it with the hair drier and you will get an idea of what I'm talking about. Anyways, the turpentine method is best as it liquefies the wax enough to get into the fabric, otherwise it may stay as a superficial layer that will easily wear off.

I have to say that the look of waxed stuff is really good! it not only darkens fabrics and adds a texture to the color, but it also stiffens up the whole backpack giving it a feeling that its now much stronger (maybe it protects it as well, I'm researching on that now)

Good luck and let me know how it goes or if I messed it up with the explanation somehow.

PS: Im now considering that maybe you can use any kind of wax (beeswax or paraffin wax) and just add some color once you melt it. ahh! talking about melting, make sure you melt it in a double boiler!

msre

Reaction score
HA!

Such a great coincidence.

I made a backpack for a friend, finished it yesterday. Had some great fabric (cotton mixed with silk for strenght), problem is that it has the exact same color as yours! so she asked me if there would be a way to change the color... I tried some things, first the old coffee staining, but didn't work in this fabric (although in some others does a wonderful job). Same would happen to yours as its plastic... But the same solution I used will apply to yours!

Eventhough the backpack I made and yours dont really need extra coating of waterproofness, it can never be enough, right?
So get a hair trier, choose some dark colored candles, melt them together with equal parts turpentine, wait till it solidifies a bit and brush your whole pack with it, put lots of it so the color will darken more. Then go around the whole pack with the hair drier to make sure the wax goes into the pores (when you do it you will see what I mean)

If you dont have access to turpentine (which I really recommend) or just want to give it a fast try. Grab some dark colored candle and rub it into the fabric until lots of it get to it, then blow it with the hair drier and you will get an idea of what im talking about. Anyways, the turpentine method is best as it liquifies the wax enough to get into the fabric, otherwise it may stay as a superficial layer that will easily wear off.

I have to say that the look of waxed stuff is really good! it not only darkens fabrics and add a texture to the color, but it also stiffens up the whole backpack giving it a feeling that its now much stronger (maybe it protects it as well, im researching on that now)

good luck and let me know how it goes or if I messed it up with the explanation somehow.

cheers this is brilliant I will look into it!!

msre

Reaction score
I just corrected the above message and added a few more tips!

Thanks a lot, I'm super curious to see the one you made!

K

Kim Chee

Get a wide chisel point marker in a different color and go over it. Don't get concerned about perfection, just get it 90% or so covered (if you're an artsy type here's your opportunity to make it yours).

Then...soak it in a sink full of hot soapy water (not a lot of soap).

More hot than soapy works great, the idea is to get that ink to bleed now rather than later all over your other stuff.

Triple rinse to get the soap out (you want no soap left over!)

Dry it, rock it.

msre

Reaction score
Get a wide chisel point marker in a different color and go over it. Don't get concerned about perfection, just get it 90% or so covered (if you're an artsy type here's your opportunity to make it yours).

Then...soak it in a sink full of hot soapy water (not a lot of soap).

More hot than soapy works great, the idea is to get that ink to bleed now rather than later all over your other stuff.

Triple rinse to get the soap out (you want no soap left over!)

Dry it, rock it.

excellent! I think i like this the best. Let the doodling commence! how much do you think the marker will bleed?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads