Suggestion Drugs, alcohol, and addiction section (1 Viewer)

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
I was just about to post a thread about Zyn nicotine pouches, and I had the craziest idea.

Anyone into creating a Drugs/Alcohol/Addiction' Section?

I know there are so many threads on here about it, it may be a serious benefit to other out there to read other peoples stories, struggles, and the ways they have overcome/managed addiction.

I can see the obvious downsides to this, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Lemme know what y'all think.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
I think that it could potentially be useful. I dunno how many of us here are actually in recovery from booze/drugs. I am sober and in recovery & have been open about my sobriety. I even got sober while traveling! Addiction in the traveling community is & has always been so rampant. A scourge really that is so entwined in the identity of many travelers. Most who are in the perils of addiction either don't know or don't care. I would argue that most travelers are way past don't know. I bet many are stuck in between wanting to care but also crippled by fear, locked in daily maintenance and good old just not giving a fuck. No addict/alcoholic wants anyone to tell them what to do. Misery also loves company & water finds its own level & all that jazz. Many just destroy or are destroyed by addiction without ever trying to stop in "earnest". I had to be desperate enough to admit that I was defeated by alcohol. Travelers also have the ability to just fuck shit up around them & just keep it moving. Eventually even traveling itself may get in the way of drinking/drugging. Many know of people that went to NYC for the dope then couldn't leave or the kids that are in NOLA months after Mardi Gras ended doing the same redundant shit every night. Then again, many have probably kicked X,Y, Z while traveling only to substitute for what ever else was/is around asap.

If anything such a section could be useful to those who have already actually getting sober or have long term/quality sobriety/clean time. I personally rarely interact with people who drink/drug anymore as they simply do not exist in my circles. STP may actually be the last bastion where alcohol/drugs are used by peers in any area of my life. Those of us who have recovered may be willing to share in such a section but its hard to share without sounding preachy. Its also difficult to try to argue with drunks who are so philosophically opposed to hearing about alternatives. Drunks also love conflict but as with anywhere else on STP we all must be civil & play by the rules.

I personally have sought out sober/recovering road dawgs to travel with on STP several times & always end up going it alone. The definition of clean & sober is really important to me. Lots of people throw the word sober/clean around & actually believe that if they didn't use that day/week/month/year that they are free from addiction. Several times have I met up or traveled with others only to learn within hours that they lied about themselves being sober/clean. I do wish I had a sober network of fellow travelers as I once had among touring punk bands.I know that such affiliations exist but also know how rarely such connections occur. As anyone who has tried to find that perfect traveling companion online will probably affirm. Many people have a tough time maintaining early sobriety, especially around triggers and being away from ones support network. Such a section could exist as a place to retain a beloved part of their life while they get/maintain sobriety. It is a real thing that once sober/clean to find healthy alternatives to occupy their time. I have read hundreds of times about people returning to STP because they are now on probation because of boozing/drugging, that are now housed up & or trying to get their lives together while off the road. While all of STP is good for this, perhaps having some place specific could be beneficial.

OP
Coywolf

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
I had to be desperate enough to admit that I was defeated by alcoho
I'm almost there.

If anything such a section could be useful to those who have already actually getting sober or have long term/quality sobriety/clean time
Very much why I made this suggestion.

Those of us who have recovered may be willing to share in such a section but its hard to share without sounding preachy
Ya, this is one of the downsides I was talking about.

I just think it would be good to have a place where people can freely talk about these issues, and it not get caught up in all of the other threads on StP. Addiction is such a big issue in the traveling community, as @highwaypointed out. It just may help some people feel like they are not alone

However, I do want to point out that social media is never an alternative to counseling and professional help, and never will be. But this circle of people will always have a large group who feels like that is not the solution for them.

highwayman

Current Location
I would also like to add that I have never been in treatment, rehab, halfway houses, detox or ever had any type of professional help and or counseling. With my experience in AA, I hear of lots of stories of the many paths visited on people's journeys. Some of us try and try many techniques without addressing the root causes of our addiction. Sadly until we stop drinking/drugging for at least a few months to a few years; our emotions & thinking will still be askew. Constant success and failures can be hard but what is the alternative? I know people who have been in and out of programs for 30+ years with little success and or concurrent quality time accumulated. Then there's a whole lot of us that have achieved much with informal peer to peer, leaderless programs like AA.

I think everyone uses what works or better yet experiments with what doesn't work. It takes a lot to look in the mirror and admit that X,Y, Z didn't work because of me sabotaging my own well being. It is often said that isolation is the real killer. Being or feeling alone is never good just as being in the wrong company can detract from ones recovery. Part of my staying sober is in helping others by sharing my experience. If there is a way to combine my new sober life with STP, all the better. I've collected a toolbox full of stuff that works for me under any/all circumstances. It could be nice to interact with others who are in the same boat here.

For those riddled with the normal fears, excuses, shame, doubt and or inaction around getting clean/sober, I suggest trying something. I'm always down to privately pm, text or speak about stuff with those interested too. I'm not always available (I work on the ocean) but try to be an honest and experienced sounding board/listener.

Last edited:

CouchPunx

Current Location
Laramie, United States
I know this is a few weeks old, but I'd just like to add my vote. I've been sober about six months now and have just started travelling again this past month. My sobriety is actually one of the only reasons I'm on stp, I'm staying away from a lot of my friends and from situations that I'd usually get into, like if I see other travelers I don't really say hi, I stay away from known jungles. Stp is a space where I can be around a different sort of people that I would probably never meet in my regular life.

The sober threads that already exist seem really popular, and very helpful for me. @highwayman I really appreciate all the posts you've made on the subject, when I was first getting sober they def helped me. I tried therapy and other shit but groups are really the only thing that have helped at all, not to mention I was literally flying a fucking sign to pay for therapy that was basically just some lady with a huge salary tricking me into "finding out" shit i already knew about myself.

But I think an actual space to just discuss random things about the sober life would be fuckn amazing. The spaces that currently exist for sober people are not necessarily ideal for travellers, and even the good shit requires you to stay put for a while and build that sober community, which for me is not possible. Having something online like this would be awesome. And fuck straightedge kids.

Also, just having that space available I think would help out a lot of people who don't wanna out themselves but who maybe have a problem with drugs and alcohol. Like, since I've been sober i've been kind of embarrassed about it around friends but people keep privately getting in touch with me to tell me how bad they wanna quit drinking. And again, for travellers, there's not really the same access to normal routes of getting help. Like, even getting clean in the first place is frowned upon by a lot of people, like you're trying to be superior by getting sober or something.

anyways, yeah, that's my vote. Or even, i don't know if something like that already exists but if so i'd love to hear about it

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Spun Junction CO
I'm a recovering rager who used to use substance to cope. I never had anyone to turn to ever. Prison and rehab saved my life. I would be glad to have a thread to share and read others stories as well.

Beegod Santana

Wanderer
Current Location
The woods
I think it would be more than appropriate especially considering the level of abuse out there. If possible I'd say it should include both resources for sobriety but also a place to discuss responsible use of intoxicants, as well as reports on the legality of various substances throughout the states/world. I have respect for anyone who's realized they need to get sober, but I still cringe at the dichotomy 12 steppers like to create where you're viewed as either a sober person or just a lost addict who hasn't realized they need help yet. You don't need to be desperate to benefit from sobriety and just cause you haven't had a drink in a while doesn't mean your life will automatically destruct if you have one again.

highwayman

Current Location
I do not believe that any quality "Sobriety" that leads to "Recovery" could be built out of anything but desperation for an alcoholic. Maybe such life improvements are possible for problem drinkers or hard drinkers?

I 100% believe that for a "real alcoholic" who just stops drinking alcohol that his/her life will not simply have their life improve on this fact alone! The accompanying tole of mental illness, physical ailments, potential dual addiction, isolation, historic self sabotage & settling for less, while not having to behave with any sort of moral code or consideration for ones self & others will surely keep a dry "alcoholic" in the most miserable & suicidal state that drinking will be the only respite. There is a lot of travelers who use & abuse & attempt temporal half ass moderation around this community where we see insane behavior that would get so called "normal" people sectioned and or arrested.

There are others like me who may not want to do the prescribed steps or follow steps, here are some 'Alternative Steps" Some may also not believe in God/Higher Power. Sober is better, for real alcoholics but so few can ever achieve it long term. The line between problem drinkers to real alcoholics is almost always crossed without knowing. Almost every sick alcoholic who seeks sobriety has to figure this stuff out. For any & all Atheists, I suggest visiting AA Agnostica - https://aaagnostica.org/ which has much about being sober while changing to become a more moral person without god,or spirituality.

The way I look at STP & the greater traveling community is that those who are clean & sober and in recovery is the small minority. I would bet less than 1%-3% total of all users past & present. I would not simply group those temporarily abstaining, on the wagon, dry or on medication like "Antabuse or Vivitrol as being all in the same as recovering people. A "sober person in recovery" is basically renovating themselves into a clear variant of themselves. Reeducating themselves & reexamining all which they previously learned, watching out for motives while balancing feelings/emotions without using any substances (legal or illegal). Self help is not unique to alcoholics & addicts & such a place to share on such topics could potentially educate potential addicts/alcoholics while they can still comprehend or care about the path they are spiraling out of control on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally printed up physical copies of my hitchin' story! Cover art by @spiffypairofspoons on instagram. I added some doodles and stuff to help with formatting, and I'll be carrying copies of these when my band goes on tour in the spring!

I can busk on the way, I usually let people staple their money to me with a staple gun, spit fire or perform other masochistic acts for money.
The guide told me to type my interests and shit here, help people get to know me, I made this so i could get help catching a Freight Train to Seattle and get there by the 20th of December, 2019, never hopped a train before, thought it'd be a fun thing to do. I'm tryna get to more punk shows. Actually pretty straight edge, keep my habits to shows and campfires.
lmfao!!! im figuring this desktop thing out way slow... totally different than a mobile. this site makes way more sens to navigate on a desk top... had no clue this was going to pop up on the main lmfao!!!! it does!!! always wonderd why ppl seen my shit that didnt fallow me!!!! im getting it... slowly...
anybody ride form grand junction co to slc lately? whats the ride like rn?
A Jack-of-all-trades, and a master at being MEDIOCRE
gkyuguhilhhjkbkjgyvhgcdtrs56t7y89u0ipklnbhrtyujnutrefr7yjnkihw tov hhtol
roughdraft wrote on Hobo richard's profile.
nice to have you, welcome to the forum
Matt Derrick wrote on BlowUpTrains's profile.
Hey man, where ya been?