Driving through Russia (Around the world without air travel)

Cozmcrae

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I left Scotland about 8 months ago to travel round the world without using air travel. Just incase anyone is interested this is me driving through Russia at the end of last year in my broken 20 year old Toyota Hilux. It made it and only coust me 1000 GBP ($1500)

I'm in Beijing now and had to sell the car before getting into China because of their horrendous government not letting in foreign plated vehicles so I've picked up a motorbike for my time in Chine but I'll probably move back into a cheap set of 4 wheels when I leave and head to India.

Attachments

• 11219512_506549876187731_9217225203438773145_n.jpg
    11219512_506549876187731_9217225203438773145_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: Haystack

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i honestly never thought that would be that cheap to do in gas. i'm guessing cause of exchange rates?

Cozmcrae

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hilux diesels are damn hard to get in the US.

Where did you get your veg oil throughout the trip? Did you filter it, fuel heater install etc.?

Where have you been staying at?
I basically went to costco just before I left the UK and filled the boot and back seats with it which gave me enough range to make it to Russia. Once I crossed into the motherland, it was too cold to run veg oil and also fuel was dirt cheap due to the collapsed Ruble. The car runs 100% veg oil hapily as long as its above around 5 degrees then it really struggles with the viscosity but a bit of diesel/petrol mixed in thins it down.
I stayed in hostels in Moscow and St Petersburg and the rest I stayed with people on couchsurfing. I would have considered sleeping in the car but this was Siberia in November so I would have frozen to death.

Reactions: Testicool

jaws

Reaction score
I basically went to costco just before I left the UK and filled the boot and back seats with it which gave me enough range to make it to Russia. Once I crossed into the motherland, it was too cold to run veg oil and also fuel was dirt cheap due to the collapsed Ruble. The car runs 100% veg oil hapily as long as its above around 5 degrees then it really struggles with the viscosity but a bit of diesel/petrol mixed in thins it down.
I stayed in hostels in Moscow and St Petersburg and the rest I stayed with people on couchsurfing. I would have considered sleeping in the car but this was Siberia in November so I would have frozen to death.
Badass man, sounds like fun. How soar did your ass get?

Cozmcrae

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Badass man, sounds like fun. How soar did your ass get?
Surprisingly not much at all. I actually towed a car back from Portugal to Scotland in early 2015 and that was a 2 day drive each way. That was more painful on the cheeks than this. I guess I kind of just got used to it plus it had those old early 90's soft cloth seats so they were pretty good to squirm in when I was getting tired of a certain position. I was in a mates 2015 opel (Chevy something to Americans) astra driving 2 days to Berlin and it was fucking murder compared to every car I've ever owned which were all pre 2000. When it comes to car seats they don't make them like they used to.

• Haha
Reactions: ElNayshon

jaws

Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind for ass experimentation!
Surprisingly not much at all. I actually towed a car back from Portugal to Scotland in early 2015 and that was a 2 day drive each way. That was more painful on the cheeks than this. I guess I kind of just got used to it plus it had those old early 90's soft cloth seats so they were pretty good to squirm in when I was getting tired of a certain position. I was in a mates 2015 opel (Chevy something to Americans) astra driving 2 days to Berlin and it was fucking murder compared to every car I've ever owned which were all pre 2000. When it comes to car seats they don't make them like they used to.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads