Video Drinking Whiskey on a Mountain with Thai Locals

Tony Pro

Wanderer
Current Location
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
>This is why you travel
Hit me right in the feels. I remember thinking the same thing when I had a similar experience, sitting on the veranda of a cafe in Vietnam waiting for the torrential rain to stop, drinking moonshine out of teacups with locals while they tried to teach us some tribal language.
I'm currently snowed into my basement apartment hunting for jobs with one goal in mind; to get myself back out there.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Staff member
Current Location
Bellingham, WA
This reminds me of the crazier nights I had in Thailand.

I had hitched Chiang Mai to Pai (which was an interesting adventure in itself) and checked into the first hostel I found. Everyone had told me that Pai was a "hippie town" but I was disappointed to find it was mostly a party spot for foreign backpackers. I made friends with one of the people in my hostel and he invited me to go out that night with a group of backpackers from another hostel nearby.

We walked to the other hostel and hung out for a while but I didn't like any of the people I was with so I told them I was tired and started walking back to my hostel. I decided to grab a bite to eat before heading back and stopped in a random bar. I was the only non-Thai customer and they sent out the only employee that spoke English who pulled out his phone to show me a translated version of the menu. I ordered some food and a beer and sat on my own for a while.

I finally decided to talk to someone so I went up to a group of young Thais and asked if I could sit with them. They spoke almost no English and I don't speak Thai but they were friendly and gestured for me to join them. They were drinking Sangsom (cheap Thai rum) and Coke and poured me a drink. We tried to communicate through miming and using a translation app on one of their phones but it was mostly drinking and laughing at how goofy of a situation it was. Whenever I finished my drink they would point to the bottle and inquire "Rock N Roll?" to see if I wanted another drink.

A food vendor rolled a cart by and my new friends bought a bunch of skewers of grilled meat and insisted I try them. They were all delicious but one of them that looked like a hotdog was probably the spiciest thing I've ever eaten.

By the time the bar closed, I was already very drunk. They asked if I wanted to dance and I said sure so I got on the back of one of their motorbikes and we drove to a dance club. We hung out at the dance club and drank beer but every time I finished my beer one of them would show up and hand me another. It got to the point where I couldn't drink anymore so I had to say goodbye. One of them drove me back to my hostel on his motorbike. Before I left, they all made me add them on Facebook. I checked Facebook the next morning and found photos of us from the previous night with captions in Thai. It was definitely one of the crazier nights I've had while traveling.
nphj35s-jpg.28625_Drinking Whiskey on a Mountain with Thai Locals_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_5:24 PM

hbpvfdr-jpg.28626_Drinking Whiskey on a Mountain with Thai Locals_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_5:24 PM

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
@MolotovMocktail, what is hong thong?

Nah....fuggetaboutit.

Probably don't remember anyway;)

Brought a bucket of ice to your table?

Class act.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
>This is why you travel
Hit me right in the feels. I remember thinking the same thing when I had a similar experience, sitting on the veranda of a cafe in Vietnam waiting for the torrential rain to stop, drinking moonshine out of teacups with locals while they tried to teach us some tribal language.
I'm currently snowed into my basement apartment hunting for jobs with one goal in mind; to get myself back out there.
Amazing. Yeah man, those stories are what its all about.

I've been having thoughts about going back home instead of continuing to work and travel like I'm doing. I think it's just comfort trying to take hold within me. I have to keep thinking about why I left in the first place and if I did go back home...would I regret not staying out here? I think so.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
This reminds me of the crazier nights I had in Thailand.

I had hitched Chiang Mai to Pai (which was an interesting adventure in itself) and checked into the first hostel I found. Everyone had told me that Pai was a "hippie town" but I was disappointed to find it was mostly a party spot for foreign backpackers. I made friends with one of the people in my hostel and he invited me to go out that night with a group of backpackers from another hostel nearby.

We walked to the other hostel and hung out for a while but I didn't like any of the people I was with so I told them I was tired and started walking back to my hostel. I decided to grab a bite to eat before heading back and stopped in a random bar. I was the only non-Thai customer and they sent out the only employee that spoke English who pulled out his phone to show me a translated version of the menu. I ordered some food and a beer and sat on my own for a while.

I finally decided to talk to someone so I went up to a group of young Thais and asked if I could sit with them. They spoke almost no English and I don't speak Thai but they were friendly and gestured for me to join them. They were drinking Sangsom (cheap Thai rum) and Coke and poured me a drink. We tried to communicate through miming and using a translation app on one of their phones but it was mostly drinking and laughing at how goofy of a situation it was. Whenever I finished my drink they would point to the bottle and inquire "Rock N Roll?" to see if I wanted another drink.

A food vendor rolled a cart by and my new friends bought a bunch of skewers of grilled meat and insisted I try them. They were all delicious but one of them that looked like a hotdog was probably the spiciest thing I've ever eaten.

By the time the bar closed, I was already very drunk. They asked if I wanted to dance and I said sure so I got on the back of one of their motorbikes and we drove to a dance club. We hung out at the dance club and drank beer but every time I finished my beer one of them would show up and hand me another. It got to the point where I couldn't drink anymore so I had to say goodbye. One of them drove me back to my hostel on his motorbike. Before I left, they all made me add them on Facebook. I checked Facebook the next morning and found photos of us from the previous night with captions in Thai. It was definitely one of the crazier nights I've had while traveling.View attachment 28625

View attachment 28626
So epic! Once you decide to take that leap out of your comfort zone - it always pays off. Great story.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
@MolotovMocktail This video was filmed just outside of Pai. If you ever get a chance to go there again, I would recommend grabbing a scooter and going to the mountains. The city center (like you said) is just a bunch of backpackers, but it gets so interesting when you venture just outside the town.

Tony Pro

Wanderer
Current Location
Denver
Website
I think it's just comfort trying to take hold within me. I have to keep thinking about why I left in the first place and if I did go back home...would I regret not staying out here? I think so.
Yeah well it's the old "grass is greener" scenario, isn't it. You're trying to remind yourself why you left but if you go home you'll be trying to remind yourself why you threw in the towel. But the bottom line is you should only be somewhere if you want to be there, and often times it takes more courage to quit than it does to keep going.
That last part is included in a letter I wrote to myself when I pulled the plug on the trip of a lifetime, thinking if I could convey my current state of mind to my future self I could avoid soul-crushing regret. it didn't work.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
Yeah well it's the old "grass is greener" scenario, isn't it. You're trying to remind yourself why you left but if you go home you'll be trying to remind yourself why you threw in the towel. But the bottom line is you should only be somewhere if you want to be there, and often times it takes more courage to quit than it does to keep going.
That last part is included in a letter I wrote to myself when I pulled the plug on the trip of a lifetime, thinking if I could convey my current state of mind
to my future self I could avoid soul-crushing regret. it didn't work.
You hit the nail on the head right there my friend.

Would you say the soul-crushing regret wasnt worth pulling the plug then?

Reactions: Mankini

Tony Pro

Wanderer
Current Location
Denver
Website
Would you say the soul-crushing regret wasnt worth pulling the plug then?
Well that depends on what you do instead.
When I decided to pull the plug on my trip (I had planned on going to Mali) I still had six weeks before my flight home, so I went to England which is sort of my second home. I stealth camped and got drunk in pubs and had a nice time, but I didn't try hard enough to use my time well. And now it's been a month since I got back to the States and I still don't have a job, still haven't gone to the gym, still haven't written that novel...
Instead of writing myself a letter explaining why I was pulling the plug, I should have written down all the promises I made to myself regarding what I'd do instead.
'Cause when you're crying in a Casablanca bus station it's easy to make a while lot of promises, but when you're sitting comfortably at home it's easy to let each day go to waste.

Reactions: Mankini

Wasabi Peas

Current Location
Philadelphia
Asia seems so fucking cool, if I have enough I'd try to go there by the end of this year.
Looks beautiful and it would be an unforgettable experience but man the drug laws are so damn harsh over there!! Part of my desire to travel to different countries is to try their food, listen to their music, meet the locals, and try their natural drugs.....I would be scared in Thailand with the latter....

deleted user

Lurker
I deleted myself
Current Location
Cle Elum, United States
Looks beautiful and it would be an unforgettable experience but man the drug laws are so damn harsh over there!! Part of my desire to travel to different countries is to try their food, listen to their music, meet the locals, and try their natural drugs.....I would be scared in Thailand with the latter....
That sucks, I really like to drug. :'/

I was stuck in a el Paso greyhound last month and they had this travel show on CNN were the guy goes to Thailand. The food in itself looks like a it would get you high.... High on FLAVOR!!! ::dummy::