1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Donkey

Discussion in 'Other Forms of Travel' started by Tatanka, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Tatanka

Tatanka Completely Addicted

Address:
    Florence, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +735 / -21
    pack frame coming in a month and saddle pad then headed south to family and maybe beyond. had him 3 weeks now up in north pa. done hitching. anyone wanna walk and be a little tribe maybe contact me. it ain't easy and they can be lpoud but its fun

Attached Files:

• Epic Epic x 5
  2. OP
    OP
    Tatanka

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +735 / -21
    update. bailed. guy went back to his original owner . too much too soon I discovered I'm not ready to be a hermit and I need to learn more skills to ready me for living away from society more till I can handle another large animal while doing so . plus donkeys are kind of loud a lot. . .

• Like Like x 2
  3. landpirate

landpirate campervan untilising nomadic traveller
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    scavenger/pirate/rum taster/occasional farm monkey
    Ratings:
    +1,593 / -4
    Well done for trying though and even more well done for admitting you weren't ready.

I've had a few friends crash head first into living the horsedrawn life only to realise a few months down the line that they don't have the skills or money to care for a big horse. I find my dog is enough work sometimes :rolleyes:

I'm pleased the donkey went back to a good home.

4. OP
    OP
    Tatanka

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +735 / -21
    Yep I have enough self confidence to admit anything. I'll swing again when the time feels right and my self reliance is peaked. Maybe when my dogs gone even. I'm gonna work on living less reliant with just the pack and dog again. Learn slower pace for the real slow animal in tow. I really liked that guy but animals are fine with most anything fair so I'm sure the next day he was back to munching grass and farting all day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Tatanka

Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +735 / -21
    I did learn a lot though just taking a leap. Animal things, packing and animal care. I learned that I'll probably never try a horse because a donkey or burro like my dog are kind of tough resilient , adaptable creatures. I could make a list of things they can eat and their intelligence and how they can be startled by something and be easily used to it within little time.