1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Dogs at the jambo?

Discussion in 'StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree' started by Notmyname, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Notmyname

Notmyname Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +326 / -9
    So last time I was at the library at New year's, there was a no dog rule. Is that still in place? @Cornelius Vango will travelers with pups be a problem? I know some people have vehicles and whatnot but some don't. Will leashes be okay?

2. Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Chief librarian at Slab City Library
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +602 / -15
    I'll say that we can be okay with dogs on leashes as long as they don't become a problem. Like sometimes people will be standing there with the dog on a leash, but they're not paying attention while the dog is peeing on things or getting into shit. If they are a problem at all, I'm gonna ask you to leave them at camp or tied up under a nearby shade tree while you're in the library.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dumpsternavel

dumpsternavel Sir Posts a Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Not having a job
    Address:
    La Mesa, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +377 / -10
    Right on, I'm glad to hear of this. Heya, @Cornelius Vango , as you know- I have one aggro pooch.. But, due to your wondrous advice last time I was at the library, I've obtained a really awesome muzzle for long-term endeavors. Meeks has been making a lot of progress. She's staying with me and another dog off leash at the moment, has been for a few days. This has been able to happen a hand-full of times now. I'd really like to make it to the Jambo, and I no longer have a car. How would you feel if I brought her along with me, leashed, and muzzled and tried to see how things could work? I believe in it. This situation would also keep me from becoming overly intoxicated, and what not. I just want to be respectful of your space, and to others with their animals who will be there by asking permission, and making this known.

4. Geraldo

Geraldo Lurker extraordinaire

Achievements:
    Bartender
    Address:
    New Orleans, LA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +621 / -4
    I'm not-so-secretly wondering who's at the hermit hut currently... I could see in theory, if it were to be empty, and if Cornelius and Caveman were perfectly okay with it, having a lil' doggy daycare type thing. Like there'd obviously have to be someone watching the dogs, and dog-aggressive dogs would obviously be a no-go. But it's an idea. Or Hell, some enterprising vandweller could charge money to watch doggos and keep them cool and cared for.

Just ideas. I know I wouldn't personally trust my dog with a stranger but I'm not a terribly trusting person to begin with so meh.

• Like Like x 3
  5. EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick Dusty Lil Van 'Mo
    Staff Member Moderator

Achievements:
    Address:
    San Jose, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,656 / -10
    @Geraldo That sounds like a great idea in theory however I don't think it's a good idea in practice. If something were to happen to one of the dogs in daycare could you imagine the blowout?

Owners are extremely protective over their pups, hell I've seen a guy tackle and beat the crap out of another guy for accidently stepping on his dogs tail. It makes sense when you think of the connection ya'll have with your furry friends.

Now I'm not saying that whoever is in charge of this purely hypothetical doggie daycare wouldn't be doing a good job. I just think of the absolute worse outcome and it sounds disastrous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Geraldo

Geraldo Lurker extraordinaire

Achievements:
    Bartender
    Address:
    New Orleans, LA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +621 / -4
    That's why I put it all in a hypothetical idea. Because I can absolutely imagine the fallout of a fuckup. I can also imagine someone with an agro dog not telling anyone that it's agro and then, boom. Dog fight.

7. Popsicle

Popsicle Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Drifter
    Address:
    Lost City, WV, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +177 / -8
    Woof woof give me your books woof woof woof . Boxcar

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1