Doggie Dreads? | Squat the Planet

Doggie Dreads?

Dirtbaguette

Reaction score
I may be laughed off STP or scolded for asking this but here goes....Has anyone ever had a dog that they dreaded? I have a poodle (yes...not my choice in dog but he was horribly abused with his leg snapped in half & I HAD to rescue him) & we are snow bums in the Winter in Colorado. I usually grow his hair out during cold weather but it naturally matts up so badly unless I take the time to brush him EVERY day. I know in dog shows (ew!) "corded" coats are done on some of the long haired breeds as well as poodles. My thought was dreads would still keep him warm & give me a break from grooming my dog daily......please be nice even if you think I'm an idiot :rolleyes:

Reactions: trash diver

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
my dog is fluffy and get dreads in her tail sometime, but they dont bother her. the only thing i would say is shave it in the summer and that people might give you shit for doing it saying your dog looks like shit. but there are breads of dogs that have natural dreads.
tumblr_lrleq5wT3M1r290x5o2_1280.jpg

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i think a jeri curl would work better...........
jeri+curl.jpg

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Usually if dogs develop dreads it makes the skin underneath them absolutely rank ad also restricts the free movement of the skin, which can't be too nice.
There are a few matted breeds, like Komondors, Puli and Bargamasco Sheepdogs, but they all have overactive sebacious glands which helps them to keep their coats clean.
Grooming is one of the best ways to bond with a dog, they clearly enjoy it and a well-brushed coat repels dirt and water more easily.

Reactions: RattyNatty

RattyNatty

Reaction score
well with dogs its called "cording" and you can cord a poodle. Just google Cording Poodles. Otherwise its just gonna mat and be uncomfortable for the dog.

RattyNatty

Reaction score
But, I would not recomend it as corded dogs need a lot of upkeep and as Vonuist^^^ said, probs can arise with it, to be honest only owner-handlers or show groomers usually do it.

K

Kim Chee

What exactly are you trying to imply here? lol
um, the middle part was humor (hope you enjoyed it and that ms. Dirtbaguette didn't get offended).
Fur will have better insulating qualities if it is clean and not matted, corded, braided, dreaded, whatever.
Check out my fur, I'm plenty warm. You're doggie is going to be much happier if clean and warm.
I bet your kitty kat might even be happier too.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads